Will I make it to heaven?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mjb472012
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjb472012

Guest
I believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins, and I trust in His death as payment for my sins, and I’m doing my best to live according to Christ’s commandments, but part of me is worried that I might not go to heaven when I die. What should I do?
 
Pray for an increase in the theological virtue of Hope. And talk to your priest about your anxiety.
 
Jesus said that to get to Heaven, we must keep His Commandments, but also take our riches and give to the poor, or words to that effect. If you sin gravely(Grave matter, full knowledge,and full consent) go to Confession as soon as possible and reconcile yourself to God. For venial sins, simply pray and bless yourself with Holy water.
I was at a sermon Saturday in which the priest said that not sinning isn’t good enough if we want to get to Heaven, that we must actively seek out goodness, and make a difference to people’s lives. He said that not doing bad doesn’t mean you’re doing good! God is all loving and merciful but he is also a God of Justice. Hope you get there!🙂
 
As 1Ke said, pray for an increase in the virtue of hope. I would recommend praying the Holy Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3 PM which is the Hour of Great Mercy as revealed to Saint Faustina by Jesus. Jesus told Saint Faustina that He would not deny a person their request if it is made in virtue of His sorrowful passion. Now, granted, we do not have to accept this private revelation as true but I do believe it is true. After all, Blessed Pope John Paul II made the first Sunday after Easter Divine Mercy Sunday which was a request of Jesus to Saint Faustina.
 
I believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins, and I trust in His death as payment for my sins, and I’m doing my best to live according to Christ’s commandments, but part of me is worried that I might not go to heaven when I die. What should I do?
If you die in a state of grace you will be saved. None of us know in advance if we will be saved or not.
 
Hope and trust in God are what stop me from worrying about anything. Also, going to confession more often helps me.

Hope this helps! Peace and all good.
 
I believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins, and I trust in His death as payment for my sins, and I’m doing my best to live according to Christ’s commandments, but part of me is worried that I might not go to heaven when I die. What should I do?
St Paul tells us to “continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).

We are not meant to live with certainty of salvation. We live with hope and a roadmap…through Jesus’ teaching, the scriptures, the Church, etc…and we do our best not to stray from that path. When we do stray, we come back to God and say sorry (via confession if needed), and He lovingly accepts. Continue to do these things and hope and pray for the grace of God.

Fear of hell…fear of not being saved…is an important motivation for faith. Hopefully over time, for each of us, the fear of hell is replaced as a primary motivation to follow God’s commands with the motivation of love for God. But until we die and face our final judgement and hopefully our salvation, retaining some fear is perfectly healthy.
 
Keep trying and praying. Of course, go to confession when in grave sin. Pray the Rosary every day if you can. Don’t be too hard on yourself and remember to bask in God’s Love–or meditate upon his Love even if you can’t feel it. If you’re too hard on yourself, it could lead to grave sin, or at least more frequent sins.
 
Remember what Jesus said about living practical acts of kindness, of love to others, which is the basic criteria He uses to judge souls, see Matthew 25 verses 31-46.

veritasbible.com/newjerusalem1989/read/Matthew_25

Remember that He said love of God and love of others (which means more than just nice feelings, but small and large actions) sums up the law and the commandments…Matthew 22 verses 35-40

veritasbible.com/newjerusalem1989/read/Matthew_22

The following poem “But” was written by a Divine Word Missionary, inspiring us to love of others, even in the smallest gestures of human kindness.

It was only a sunny smile,
And little it cost in the giving;
But it scattered the night
Like morning light,
And made the day worth living.
Through life’s dark warp a woof it wove
In shining colours of hope and love;
And the angels smiled as they watched above,
Yet little it cost in the giving.

It was only a kindly word, a word that was lightly spoken;
But not in vain,
For it stilled the pain
Of a heart that was nearly broken
It strengthened a faith beset with fears,
And groping blindly through mists of tears,
For light to brighten the coming years,
Although it was lightly spoken.

It was only a helping hand
And it seemed of little availing;
But its clasp was warm,
And it saved from harm
A brother whose strength was failing.
Its touch was tender as angels’ wings
But it rolled the stone from the hidden springs
And pointed the way to higher things,
Though it seemed of little availing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top