Will you eat meat on 1.1.2021?

• Thread starter Thread starter TwoNames
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TwoNames

Hello!

Will you eat meat this new year’s day (It’s Friday)?
I normally don’t eat meat on Fridays. I may make an exception on the 1.1.202. What are some alternative sacrifices? What do you normally do?

Thank you!
Have a blessed lent!

David
SIMARINE

January 1 is the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

We are not supposed to fast or abstain on Solemnities.

Therefore, if you have a requirement in your country/ diocese that you not eat meat on Fridays, it will be waived when January 1 or any other Solemnity falls on a Friday.

You don’t have to make an “alternative sacrifice” either when it’s a Solemnity. You are supposed to celebrate on that day as it’s the highest type of holy day of the Church.

I see. Thank you for the answer.
By the way is the January 1 a Holy day of obligation in USA?
Over here it is not.

By the way is the January 1 a Holy day of obligation in USA?
Over here it is not.
Yes, in the USA January 1 is usually a holy day of obligation. When I was growing up it was always interesting to be up partying until after midnight and then have to get up early in the morning and go to Mass for the obligation. Usually after that people would all want to take naps in the afternoon of Jan. 1. I know in some other countries it is not a holyday of obligation normally.

I would note however that given the way COVID is going in the USA, it’s highly likely that most if not all people in USA will be dispensed from their Mass obligation on January 1, 2021 just as they are currently dispensed from their Sunday Mass and holy day Mass obligations.

However, January 1 is still a Solemnity for the Universal Church everywhere, even if it’s not a holy day of obligation in a particular country, or the obligation is dispensed because of COVID.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back