Wish you had a chance to do it all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFreedom

New member
I’ve grown. A lot. I’ve grown a lot in my walk with Christ over the last 10 years, and my growth seems to be exponentially growing. As I’ve grown in my faith, I’ve come to more realizations of all the wrongs I’ve committed against God, and the more I grow, the more I see I need to get right with myself for God. My confessor told me that this was all a good thing (and I agree) that I can now see the depths of my sins against God and have begun to realize them and confessed them, asked for forgiveness, repented and done penance.

I still continue to see many things wrong in my life and I continue to grow in my faith and understanding and more light is shed on me by the Holy Spirit regarding the sins I still commit (and did not before realize I was committing). I know we are all called to be saints, but knowing that I have lived a good portion of my life in darkness, of which many of those things I can never take back, I wish that I knew what I knew now so I could do it right. I often feel on the verge of joyous tears that Jesus dies for me, a stupid sinner, to save me so that I might live, and I feel such hurt and pain that I’ve done all those things, but at the same time I cry tears of pain.

Does anyone else feel like they wish they could do it all over again so they could do it right?
 
I most wholeheartedly do! I wish I could redo my single years, when I wasted so much time just being frivolous and lazy, and I wish I could redo my parenting years knowing what I know now.

And I will probably wish the same about these years twenty years from now…
 
I most wholeheartedly do! I wish I could redo my single years, when I wasted so much time just being frivolous and lazy, and I wish I could redo my parenting years knowing what I know now.

And I will probably wish the same about these years twenty years from now…
I have made peace with my horrible past by accepting that all those events and mistakes I made in the past have brought me to the level of joy I experience today with my God and my family.

To wish for an easier, less painful past is my way, not God’s way.
 
I’ve grown. A lot. I’ve grown a lot in my walk with Christ over the last 10 years, and my growth seems to be exponentially growing. As I’ve grown in my faith, I’ve come to more realizations of all the wrongs I’ve committed against God, and the more I grow, the more I see I need to get right with myself for God. My confessor told me that this was all a good thing (and I agree) that I can now see the depths of my sins against God and have begun to realize them and confessed them, asked for forgiveness, repented and done penance.

I still continue to see many things wrong in my life and I continue to grow in my faith and understanding and more light is shed on me by the Holy Spirit regarding the sins I still commit (and did not before realize I was committing). I know we are all called to be saints, but knowing that I have lived a good portion of my life in darkness, of which many of those things I can never take back, I wish that I knew what I knew now so I could do it right. I often feel on the verge of joyous tears that Jesus dies for me, a stupid sinner, to save me so that I might live, and I feel such hurt and pain that I’ve done all those things, but at the same time I cry tears of pain.

Does anyone else feel like they wish they could do it all over again so they could do it right?
You are fortunate. This is a sign that God loves you by letting you see a little bit at a time so that it doesn’t become overwhelming for you. He is letting you see more ways that can draw you closer to him.

You were not ready for this before. It only happens when he works with you and prepares you enough so that you won’t give up. You are so blessed.

But it is better to look forward and not backward. In the “Little Talks With God” by St. Catherine of Siena, God tells her that in looking at our past sins, we should only see sins generically we’ve committed, and to tell him how greatful we are for having mercy on us. But she said he doesn’t want us to go into the individual sins at all because it will leave us in a bad discouraged way and interrupt our going forward in our spiritual life.

May the God of hope fill you with every joy.
 
Congratulations on your growth. 🙂

A lot of times, God lets us fail so that we can use those failures as impetus to succeed. It’s sort of the difference between Judas and Peter… both betrayed their Master, but only one of them asked for forgiveness, grew spiritually, and spent the rest of his life moving forward and doing God’s will.

Without that memory of darkness and waste, it’s very easy to be complacent, when in fact it’s our job to compare ourselves to God, not to the people on the six o’clock news. Sort of like, “I don’t do drugs, I don’t steal, and I don’t kill people. What a great guy I am. I couldn’t be more perfect.” 🙂 God can turn the bad of the past into fertile ground for good deeds of the present. As Teresa of Avila said, it’s all about perseverence-- never submitting to defeat, allowing ourselves to be conformed to the will of God, and drawing strength from God to overcome all the obstacles on our journey, always looking forward.
“By God’s help we shall advance more by contemplating His divinity, than by keeping our eyes fixed on ourselves…”
 
I’ve grown. A lot. I’ve grown a lot in my walk with Christ over the last 10 years, and my growth seems to be exponentially growing. As I’ve grown in my faith, I’ve come to more realizations of all the wrongs I’ve committed against God, and the more I grow, the more I see I need to get right with myself for God. My confessor told me that this was all a good thing (and I agree) that I can now see the depths of my sins against God and have begun to realize them and confessed them, asked for forgiveness, repented and done penance.

I still continue to see many things wrong in my life and I continue to grow in my faith and understanding and more light is shed on me by the Holy Spirit regarding the sins I still commit (and did not before realize I was committing). I know we are all called to be saints, but knowing that I have lived a good portion of my life in darkness, of which many of those things I can never take back, I wish that I knew what I knew now so I could do it right. I often feel on the verge of joyous tears that Jesus dies for me, a stupid sinner, to save me so that I might live, and I feel such hurt and pain that I’ve done all those things, but at the same time I cry tears of pain.

Does anyone else feel like they wish they could do it all over again so they could do it right?
In a word YES!
 
I used to, but not so much anymore. My life brought me to where I am today. If I were to have made different choices, would I have met my wife? Would I have the three children I now have? Would I take a risk of losing them for a chance to do it again? No, I wouldn’t.
 
We may look back on past sins and rejoice in the Lord’s forgiveness! Jesus doesn’t want us to get depressed about them; but to be thankful for what we have learned.

He offers us the opportunity to grow in humility and all the virtues so that others will recognize Him in us and want the same.

Every day is a new opportunity to draw closer to the Lord.

Thank you Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for the priceless gift of the Holy Eucharist, and all the sacraments!
 
Those regrets seem to come with age. My biggest regret is not putting more emphasis on my faith instead of letting life take the priority. As someone else said more eloquently, all that I have and have not done has brought me here and I am happily moving in the right direction. 🙂
 
Yes, I wish I had never committed mortal sins. Then I would not be having such a hard time now not committing them…
 
We may look back on past sins and rejoice in the Lord’s forgiveness! Jesus doesn’t want us to get depressed about them; but to be thankful for what we have learned.

He offers us the opportunity to grow in humility and all the virtues so that others will recognize Him in us and want the same.

Every day is a new opportunity to draw closer to the Lord.

Thank you Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for the priceless gift of the Holy Eucharist, and all the sacraments!
👍
 
I’ve grown. A lot. I’ve grown a lot in my walk with Christ over the last 10 years, and my growth seems to be exponentially growing. As I’ve grown in my faith, I’ve come to more realizations of all the wrongs I’ve committed against God, and the more I grow, the more I see I need to get right with myself for God. My confessor told me that this was all a good thing (and I agree) that I can now see the depths of my sins against God and have begun to realize them and confessed them, asked for forgiveness, repented and done penance.

I still continue to see many things wrong in my life and I continue to grow in my faith and understanding and more light is shed on me by the Holy Spirit regarding the sins I still commit (and did not before realize I was committing). I know we are all called to be saints, but knowing that I have lived a good portion of my life in darkness, of which many of those things I can never take back, I wish that I knew what I knew now so I could do it right. I often feel on the verge of joyous tears that Jesus dies for me, a stupid sinner, to save me so that I might live, and I feel such hurt and pain that I’ve done all those things, but at the same time I cry tears of pain.

Does anyone else feel like they wish they could do it all over again so they could do it right?
No, because I may have never known how much I need Jesus.

Think about the woman who washed Jesus’ feet. Her love was greater than every one else the room. She loved much because she was forgiven much.
 
Oh happy fault. For it is through this fault that I came to know the One who saved me. Oh happy fault, for it describes me just as I am, with no lies or pretence, that I may compare myself to Thee. Oh happy fault.
 
To all those who explained why not to wish one could do it over again-- that one’s past brought us to our present, that our past can help us persevere, to increase our gratitude, et al-- thank you 🙂 🙂 🙂
 
To all those who explained why not to wish one could do it over again-- that one’s past brought us to our present, that our past can help us persevere, to increase our gratitude, et al-- thank you 🙂 🙂 🙂
I do appreciate the reasons and explanations for why we shouldn’t want to do it again. I guess the “angle” I was coming was that I was thinking that I would still understand exactly how much I needed Jesus and still have that love, but without all of the sinning. But because I know a time machine is impossible, I guess all of it is moot. I suppose this post is more of an expression of confession to all my brothers and sisters that I am a sinner. I sort of realized this over the past night. I think I still struggle with one issue in particular, which is that I had myself “snipped” (if you catch the drift), and while I confessed and have done penance, much self-imposed on top of what the priest gave me, I feel that I should reverse it, so I can live in God’s will. I understand, and the priest told me specifically, I do NOT need to reverse it, as they can be costly and sometimes dangerous. But I suppose this is something I could do or try. Maybe it is bothering me that while I confessed, repented, did penance, it isn’t enough, because now I know how much God despises it.
 
I do appreciate the reasons and explanations for why we shouldn’t want to do it again. I guess the “angle” I was coming was that I was thinking that I would still understand exactly how much I needed Jesus and still have that love, but without all of the sinning. But because I know a time machine is impossible, I guess all of it is moot. I suppose this post is more of an expression of confession to all my brothers and sisters that I am a sinner. I sort of realized this over the past night. I think I still struggle with one issue in particular, which is that I had myself “snipped” (if you catch the drift), and while I confessed and have done penance, much self-imposed on top of what the priest gave me, I feel that I should reverse it, so I can live in God’s will. I understand, and the priest told me specifically, I do NOT need to reverse it, as they can be costly and sometimes dangerous. But I suppose this is something I could do or try. Maybe it is bothering me that while I confessed, repented, did penance, it isn’t enough, because now I know how much God despises it.
Sometimes trying to go back and undo that which has been done will only lead you back to the world you once lived in. This may be dangerous because the temptations and rationale of that world may bring you down to a level of self loathing. The evil one desires nothing more that for a person to hate himself. Instead of trying to “UNdo” Just “DO”. Do works of charity. Do love your neighbor as yourself. Do attend Mass. Do pray the Rosary. Do what you are able to do to show Jesus how much you love Him and His salvation. Do show forth His love and mercy.
 
I never want too go back… although I miss the time when my kids were young and cute as buttons… I have gone though times when I was struggling spiritually and emotionally… and for a short while financially…I definitely do not miss my work years or my years as a lapsed Catholic.
 
I have made peace with my horrible past by accepting that all those events and mistakes I made in the past have brought me to the level of joy I experience today with my God and my family.

To wish for an easier, less painful past is my way, not God’s way.
I agree with your sentiments.While I would like to believe that if I had it to do over again,I would make a different decision,based on my strong faith and love for God. Yet,because of a time in my life when my faith was very lukewarm,the resultant greivous choices I made,did bring about a greater good.A humble and contrite heart,filled with joy and gratitude for God’s loving mercy. He is my All.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top