Women and exploitation in the media

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwest2

Guest
For some decades now, a very vocal group of women have rightly been calling for more respect and proper treatment of women by society in general. However, those same voices are silent when female celebrities present themselves in various media media in precisely the same way that “male chauvenist pigs” prefer. Why is that? And the celebrities themselves, they are told what to do, what to wear and are marketed, in too many cases, as objects for men to look at in a certain way. Why the split - the schizophrenia? The same groups that will tell you teens and young women are starving themselves, that it’s unhealthy, and that the media and fashion industry share the blame for promoting ‘unhealthy body images’ and expectations, and I would add, behaviors – why are they not speaking up in defense of the wrong, and socially unhealthy things going on with the marketing of women by the media?

Best,
Ed
 
Some of these organizations have other priorities. Just look at how women like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann or Ayaan Hirsi Ali have been treated.

That tells me all I need to know about what’s going on.

The ambitions of such groups are chiefly political and aren’t going to criticize someone too close to them.

In other words, they’ll go after the NFL over domestic issues, but I don’t think we’re going to see them taking on Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj or Beyonce anytime soon.

Now, if Taylor Swift acted like that…:hmmm:

The double standards are amok.
 
There is also a great danger in generalizing women’s rights advocates/feminists. They are in no way a united front, nor a single organized group. If you asked ten people who identify as feminist what they think of strip clubs, you’d get ten different answers ranging from “temples of female empowerment” to “horrible, degrading slavery.” Your mileage may vary from person to person, in the same way it would if you asked a Catholic what appropriate mass attire was. There are a range of opinions, some more valid than others.

I think you’ll find that the voices decrying the things you enumerate do indeed exist, and are often widespread.

SuperLuigi: Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, and Miley Cyrus get more than their fair share of criticism. In fact, within the last year, Sinead O’Connor issued a blistering open letter to Miley Cyrus, castigating her for the very things discussed in this thread.
 
There is also a great danger in generalizing women’s rights advocates/feminists. They are in no way a united front, nor a single organized group. If you asked ten people who identify as feminist what they think of strip clubs, you’d get ten different answers ranging from “temples of female empowerment” to “horrible, degrading slavery.” Your mileage may vary from person to person, in the same way it would if you asked a Catholic what appropriate mass attire was. There are a range of opinions, some more valid than others.

I think you’ll find that the voices decrying the things you enumerate do indeed exist, and are often widespread.

SuperLuigi: Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, and Miley Cyrus get more than their fair share of criticism. In fact, within the last year, Sinead O’Connor issued a blistering open letter to Miley Cyrus, castigating her for the very things discussed in this thread.
That said, I think women in general should speak up. The marketing machine for these celebrities is a big one and it gives the “it’s all good” vibe to the masses. Magazines with “Crazy about Miley” on the cover. Seriously?

Peace,
Ed
 
Back in 1980, the now-deceased film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert dedicated an episode of their PBS program Sneak Previews to the subject of violence against women in the movies, particularly horror movies. Check out this link.
 
Some of these organizations have other priorities. Just look at how women like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann or Ayaan Hirsi Ali have been treated.

That tells me all I need to know about what’s going on.

The ambitions of such groups are chiefly political and aren’t going to criticize someone too close to them.

In other words, they’ll go after the NFL over domestic issues, but I don’t think we’re going to see them taking on Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj or Beyonce anytime soon.

Now, if Taylor Swift acted like that…:hmmm:

The double standards are amok.
Speaking of domestic abuse, a porn star was badly beaten by her (now ex) boyfriend - an MMA fighter - a few months ago. It was taken notice by the online media (saw it on by Bing news dashboard), but compared to the coverage of the domestic abuse that Rhianna received by Chris Brown it was a single water drop in the pan, and this porn star was actually hospitalized and the facial damage was definitely more severe than Rhianna’s.
 
That said, I think women in general should speak up. The marketing machine for these celebrities is a big one and it gives the “it’s all good” vibe to the masses. Magazines with “Crazy about Miley” on the cover. Seriously?

Peace,
Ed
The only people “crazy” about Ms. Cyrus are her fans, which is mostly those under 20, and entertainment journalism.

The entertainment world - particularly music, movies, fashion sectors - are messed up places. They confuse perverted and shallow works with intelligence, “edgy” and “realness.”
 
That said, I think women in general should speak up. The marketing machine for these celebrities is a big one and it gives the “it’s all good” vibe to the masses. Magazines with “Crazy about Miley” on the cover. Seriously?

Peace,
Ed
What makes you think we aren’t speaking up?

I do not hesitate to say that the exploitation of women is a bad thing.

But I am just one person and not in the public spotlight. I am sure there are lots of others like me who do speak up but you just do not hear about it.

I also am an advocate of modesty and take care to observe it myself. I am sure lots of other women also do the same.

What else do you want us to do? 🤷
 
I had a similar thread up before about how women are portrayed in video games which mysteriously disappeared…

Ed, you should watch the web series of ‘Women versus Tropes’ by Anita Sarkeesian. Then look at the disgusting responses and treatment she has received from current, modern (and mostly male) consumers of multimedia. I’d be interested to hear what you think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top