Wondering about future

• Thread starter Thread starter Paris_Blues
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paris_Blues

Ever since I saw the Passion and it TOTALLY CHANGED my life, I’ve been wanting to follow Jesus and all more than ever. However, as we all know, we live in a world where it seems like “we have to have a degree from college” or be that “#1 top millionare” person, etc. etc.

I have this deep faith deep down within me that desires to follow Christ. But I don’t. Yes, “the spirit is willing, but the body is weak” goes over and over again in my mind.

I’ve have such a desire to follow Him that I can see myself as a nun or something but also see myself getting married and having kids or something like that. I know He has a plan for me and everyone in this whole entire world but I wonder about what it is and all. I’m sure you guys have had similar thoughts about it too! I don’t know…I guess I feel insecure about what my future holds and all - I think I have some kind of anxiety disorder or something!😦

Well, my question is, how do you know if you’re being called to the religious life or if you’re being called to have a family or something? I can see myself doing BOTH but…I’m soooo weak!

First of all, you don’t have an anxiety disorder. What you feel is totally normal. I think everyone worries about the future their whole life.

If you’re thinking about being a nun, I would read as much as you can about what it entails. Talk to some nuns too. Of course keep praying. If aftyer you educate yourself you still feel called, then you can look into the discernment process. I have two friends who have been called to a religious vocation (priest and nun) and both had some resistence from their parents so hopefully that won’t be a problem for you.

It’s tough nowadays when sex and money are the most important things. A religious vocation will get you neither.

Yeah, but how can you tell if you’re truly called? I mean, do you desire it? Do you see yourself helping others? What?

Vocation discernment is different for every person. First of all, pray about it A LOT. God might not answer your questions right away. He will answer them in His time. Second of all, contact a spiritual advisor, someone you can really trust and who will help you along in your discernment.

I will say a prayer for you. I hope discern and feel at peace with your vocation.

God bless.

You have had good advice. Get spiritual direction. But you already have a vocation. It’s what you are and do right now. That is what god’s will is for you , at present. Whether God changes your vocation is up to Him. All you can do is pray on it, surrender yourself to the will of God. And eventually it will be totally clear to you. But you need spiritual direction. Good luck, and welcome to the Church if you make that final hurdle. i’ll say a prayer for you.

See, it’s really getting to me because I couldn’t stop thinking about it in my Psychology class! I was trying to focus on what the instructor was saying - and I did but was hard! - or what the class was saying. That’s not good either because I need this info for tests coming up! :tsktsk:

But I was just thinking about it! It’s just a thought or something!

If you are expecting to wake up one morning and KNOW that you are going to be a nun, it’s not likely to happen. The discernment process takes months (maybe years?).

Keep concentrating on your studies, become active in your church, talk to your priest, visit some nuns. Take your time, take your time, take your time. There really is no rush, you know.

This may help, if you get serious. You would need to consult someone for clarification. From the code of canon law. At least you would know more on the subject.
CHAPTER III.

THE ADMISSION OF CANDIDATES AND THE FORMATION OF MEMBERS

Art. 1.

ADMISSION TO THE NOVITIATE

Can. 641 The right to admit candidates to the novitiate belongs to major superiors according to the norm of proper law.

Can. 642 With vigilant care, superiors are only to admit those who, besides the required age, have the health, suitable character, and sufficient qualities of maturity to embrace the proper life of the institute. This health, character, and maturity are to be verified even by using experts, if necessary, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 220.

Can. 643 §1. The following are admitted to the novitiate invalidly:

1/ one who has not yet completed seventeen years of age;

2/ a spouse, while the marriage continues to exist;

3/ one who is currently bound by a sacred bond to some institute of consecrated life or is incorporated in some society of apostolic life, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 684;

4/ one who enters the institute induced by force, grave fear, or malice, or the one whom a superior, induced in the same way, has received;

5/ one who has concealed his or her incorporation in some institute of consecrated life or in some society of apostolic life.

§2. Proper law can establish other impediments even for validity of admission or can attach conditions.

Can. 644 Superiors are not to admit to the novitiate secular clerics without consulting their proper ordinary nor those who, burdened by debts, cannot repay them.

Can. 645 §1. Before candidates are admitted to the novitiate, they must show proof of baptism, confirmation, and free status.

§2. If it concerns the admission of clerics or those who had been admitted in another institute of consecrated life, in a society of apostolic life, or in a seminary, there is additionally required the testimony of, respectively, the local ordinary, the major superior of the institute or society, or the rector of the seminary.

§3. Proper law can require other proof about the requisite suitability of candidates and freedom from impediments.

§4. Superiors can also seek other information, even under secrecy, if it seems necessary to them.
vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

40.png
jpjd:
If you are expecting to wake up one morning and KNOW that you are going to be a nun, it’s not likely to happen. The discernment process takes months (maybe years?).

Keep concentrating on your studies, become active in your church, talk to your priest, visit some nuns. Take your time, take your time, take your time. There really is no rush, you know.
Yes, I know it takes time. I’m just saying it’s a thought…doesn’t mean it’s GOING to happen or it could…it was just something that came to my mind. You’re right…I don’t KNOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back