Word Church

  • Thread starter Thread starter peeteyg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peeteyg

Guest
Does anyone know how many times the word “Church” is used in the New Testament? Especially as it relates to the church that Jesus instituted. I am not interested in the words Synagogue or Temple as it relates. If anyone know about word Ekklesia I would be interested in it also. Thanks in advance.
 
in NT

117x church/churches (KJV)
114x ekklhsia, in 8 forms (WHNT)

(btw, 217 ekklhsia in NT and OT-LXX combined)
 
I read somewhere that Jesus only said word church 2 times and it was in Matthew. I have done searches and not found what I was looking for. Where or how did you get this info?
 
Yes, if only want to know Jesus’ mentionings of church, then three times in two verses, but for example 22x just in Acts, 20x in Revelation, Paul uses about 65x etc. I used BibleWorks software for the info.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Matthew 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
 
What is the Greek or Arimean word that got translated into English as -“church”- Jesus didn’t speak English, probably Arimean, maybe Greek, so you have to depend on a translator, maybe second or third degree.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top