Words from the Pope About Our Society

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

“This radical split between the Gospel and culture is manifested as a crisis of meaning,” he said. “The distortion of reason by particular interest groups and exaggerated individualism are examples of this perspective of life which neglects the search for the ultimate goal and meaning of human existence.”

“Your own reports indeed unequivocally indicate the pressing need for Christ’s liberating message in a society experiencing the tragic consequences of the eclipse of the sense of God,” the Pope continued.

In particular, John Paul II mentioned “the drift away from the Church; the undermining of family life; the facilitation of abortion and prostitution; a misguided vision of life which seeks pleasure and ‘success’ rather than goodness and wisdom.”

The proclamation of the Gospel “is a duty that no single believer can ignore,” the Pope added…"

catholic.org/cathcom/international_story.php?id=9969

Thank you for sharing our Holy Father’s words!

What about them do you want to discuss?

40.png
Della:
Thank you for sharing our Holy Father’s words!

What about them do you want to discuss?
I thought the term “eclipse of God” particularly telling and was wondering if anyone had heard anything like this from their local pulpits?

These words from the Holy Father are so true. Modern secularism is the greatest threat to families and society today.

40.png
Riley259:
These words from the Holy Father are so true. Modern secularism is the greatest threat to families and society today.
But it strikes me that when Catholics hear secularism many automatically think “well that’s not me” —secularism and its different aspects is seldom heard from in the pulpit; I’ve read a lot about it, but don’t hear it preached. I think it creeps into our lives because we are not really “aware” of what it means and how it sometimes expresses itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back