Working for the Church

• Thread starter Thread starter Oshiego_Rod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oshiego_Rod

It would be so nice to serve God and earn a living. I was told you could be a certified Cathecist (am I spelling this right?) and teach the Catholic faith while earning a decent salary. Any thoughts?

Oshiego Rod:
It would be so nice to serve God and earn a living. I was told you could be a certified Cathecist (am I spelling this right?) and teach the Catholic faith while earning a decent salary. Any thoughts?
Dear O.R.,

No response in two hours? Isn’t anyone willing to say that there is not “decent salary” for those who choose to work in a Parish? A substantial savings account or a working spouse is almost a necessity. Catholic social teaching aside, you might survive on such an income but that’s about it. Other views?

Deacon Greg

Oshiego Rod:
Decent living? :rotfl:

Our parish has three “employees” - the DRE, secretary and bookkeeper. All work as volunteers. That being said, our diocese really discourages volunteer DREs. This is usually a FT postion in other parishes.

There are many paid positions at the diocisan level. My cousin works for a diocisan newspaper as her FT job. There is quite a variety of types of work at that level too from administrative to outreach. Many of these positions used to be filled by priests and religious but there are more and more lay people in these positions now.

Our diocese has a requirement that diocisan jobs have to be posted. Maybe you can find out where you diocese posts jobs and get more information about salaries from that.

Yup, I heard not to expect much as far as salary goes. I’m actually going to check this out part time. Right now, I am content with being a member of the Catholic Church and offering services to the faith through Singles For Christ. It has its rewards.👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back