World Sodality Day

  • Thread starter Thread starter LadyChapel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyChapel

Guest
Greetings! I just joined the forum. I’m a Catholic who lives in Philadelphia. I also cover South Philly for Examiner.com. I hope to incorporate some local Catholic news in my edition since South Philly is such a heavily Catholic neighborhood.

I just posted an article about a special Mass scheduled at one of our parishes for World Sodality Day this Sunday. I thought it might be of interest to anyone in the Philadelphia area. There’s also some general information about the devotion.

Just curious, is anyone doing any special at their parish for World Sodality Day? Of course, I’ve heard of the Sodality but this is the first time I’ve heard of a day dedicated to it.
 
When I was a young woman (a very long time ago) every Catholic woman belonged to the Sodality, in fact, I believe we joined in high school. I have not heard about it for many years and did not believe it still existed. (I lived and worked in West Philadelphia in the 1950s until 1969.)

I wish that all Parishs still had that devotion. It might be interesting for you to research why the practice ended, if it has ended. :angel1:

Good luck with your work.:harp:
 
Thanks!

Yeah, I remember my mother used to belong to it in her home parish in South Philly.
 
LadyChapel, you sparked my interest in the Sodality and so I ‘googled’ it. I found many interesting sites but the one I have listed here - www.ForumsCatholic.net - had an interesting post about Philadelphia.

**"In 1967 The Pope disbanded the Sodality of Our Lady in Rome to which all Sodalities in the world were attached. The pope renewed the movement taking it back to its roots in the 1600’s when it was formed as a way of life. The new name is Christian Life Communities. Many Sodalities were not Way of Life groups which was the founding purpose of Sodality but prayer groups.

Most of the parish Sodalities in the East coast cities of the United States were prayer groups and women’s groups of service in their parish and diocese.

Many of the Philadelphia Sodalities groups did not want to unite in Christian Life Communities. Sodalities were able to continue with the permission of their respective bishops as a diocesan organization rather than a pontifical organization.

In Philadelphia a number of parish Sodalities have disbanded and a number of Catholics who were Sodalists wished to remain Sodalists. "
home.catholicweb.com/MarianSodality/index.cfm/about**

Thank you for starting this thread and allowing me to learn what happened to the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin. It is amazing how things have changed in the Church since I was young (born 1930) and have gone unnoticed. I did not know before that the Sodality of Our Lady was formed originally by the Jesuits. Live and Learn.

:blessyou:
 
That’s interesting about the Philadelphia sodalities. I think I may look into that further.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top