Would it be wrong to "buy" slaves in a video game?

• Thread starter Thread starter TheLad2354
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheLad2354

Hey guys,
In a game I play called Elite Dangerous, you can buy and sell various trade goods around the galaxy. However, one of these goods is slaves. I know slavery is bad in real life, but are there any moral implications of doing so?

So let’s say you lived in an ancient society that practiced slavery. You had 2 choices: own slaves, not own slaves.
The result of your choice could have implications for you and those that were potentially you slaves.
If you chose to not own slaves, you would be limited in the amount of work you could produce since you are a 1 man show. Second the slaves would still be there and someone else would own them.
If you chose to own slaves, you could follow St. Paul advice and treat your slaves with justice hence protecting them from exploitation. And if the conditions allowed it free them as soon as possible.
It is highly probable that someone has been in this same quandary but for real. As for a game? I am not much of a gamer but in some people shoot at each other. I invariably end dead 😆 so I don’t play them.
Peace!

I’d want to know more about the game and about how slaves are portrayed in the game. But lacking that information, I’d say JerryZ 's answer makes good sense.

Unless it is going to inspire you to.want to own slaves in real life or something, I would say it’s OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back