Would it ever be okay to ask God for a sign? (Purgatory)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelka

New member
If someone whom you hoped avoided Hell and is probably in Purgatory, would it ever be okay to ask Him if He could give you a particular sign (something that couldn’t be a coincidence or impossible) for the day that soul is taken to Heaven?

Still thinking about my Nan (The real Nelka), who could be in Hell.
 
You can ask for anything. I’d be careful attributing anything to God answering it though. When you die you will know the just and merciful fate of another soul. Until then. Why stop praying for the dead!? What if she could benefit from your prayers in purgatory but you stopped because of a “sign?” God wants us to pray for the dead. And if you continue to do that your prayers will not be in vain no matter the destination of the soul in question.
 
Hi Nelka,
This is something I saved on my computer back in 2007 so I’d NEVER forget.
While I wasn’t particularly devoted to St. Faustina’s Chaplet of Divine Mercy, I had a sudden inspiration to pray it for my husband while I waited in the car as he shopped for tools. My devotion was very ardent that day, and I poured my soul into it. This was one of several wonderful signs concerning his unexpected tragic death within a few hours of my reciting the Chaplet.
Since I knew he had not been to the sacraments prior to his death for many years, my greatest concern was for his salvation. I had prayed for his conversion at daily Mass for nearly 40 years. One night I had problems sleeping, and I spent a few moments in prayer, asking God to help me understand whether or not he was spared eternal punishment. I turned on the TV in my bedroom a few minutes after praying, around 2 A.M., and heard these words from Father Corapi’s Saturday night EWTN broadcast. “God will often apply the many years of our prayers for a person at the final moment of their death and it will save them.” Now if I had turned on the TV one minute later, I would have missed the answer, or if I had been watching for the entire broadcast, I might have thought it was a coincidence. However, I had just voiced this petition in prayer, and here was the answer in a form I could hear.
On another rather sleepless night, I was praying to Our Blessed Mother and questioned whether his death on October 13th, the last appearance of Fatima, had any particular relevance. At that moment of voicing my petition, the words came into my mind, “Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.” My understanding was flooded with new insight into the role of Our Lady, praying on behalf of “sinners” at the moment of their death, as the entire Body of Christ continually petitions her. My consolation was very great.

A final sign was granted one day at the start of Mass, October 19, 2008, a little over a year since he died. I had prayed the chaplet for him, lest he was in purgatory, almost constantly during that year. Suddenly I felt my husband’s presence, and I asked God if he was now in heaven. The consolation I received at that moment was so overwhelming that I cried tears of joy all through the Mass. When I prayed evening prayer after Mass from the Liturgy of the Hours for Sunday, Week 1, these words in the reading confirmed that the joy I experienced was indeed from God: “Praise be God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all consolation!” (Just in case my mind wanted to doubt this consolation - God is so good)
I am certain that God loves you and your Nan so very much that He would not be offended by your asking this. Be hopeful and confident, for He may grant your petition and send signs that cannot be doubted. I think St. Therese asked Our Lord whether her loved one (I forget who) was in heaven, and she received her sign.

God bless you an your Nan.
 
Last edited:
Sure, you can ask. We pretty much all do that when we have lost close loved ones.

You just have to be prepared to accept it if God either doesn’t answer or doesn’t answer right away. It may be he wants you to trust him.

Praying for you and the soul of your Nan.
 
Padre Pio’s grandfather had no religion at all but Pio was convinced he was gone to Heaven. When asked ‘why?’, he said God woulld grant him Heaven because He knew Pio would pray for his grandad everyday of his life.

God is not restricted by time. He can grant the person the necessary grace for salvation, knowing that you would ask for that grace on behalf of your gran, 10, 20, 30 years later. How merciful God is! Have confidence in the completeness of Christ’s sacrifice and ask for as much mercy for others as you want. Yourself too.
 
Do you believe that your action or inaction can save or damn another soul?
 
I think is understandable to ask for a sign but more than anything keep praying for your Nan. When I was a young girl I had a dream very strange after my grandpa died. In the dream he told me to pray for him and for other souls in Purgatory and they would pray for us who still didn’t go through the ‘passage’ (death). I was very surprised by the dream (I didn’t care much about Purgatory at that age and my grandpa was overall considered a good man) but I told my mom about it and with my grandma they started praying hard and offering Masses for him. That was a very long time ago, not sure where he is now but I still pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top