Would this be denying God?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shtove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shtove

I’m Catholic and I’m still pretty new to practicing it. Before I came back to the church I was confused on the divinity of Christ. I always heard that Jesus is the son of God, so I took that as meaning Jesus himself isn’t God but merely the son of God. Obviously, since then I have learned about the Trinity and know that I was wrong in what I thought before. Would that be a sin for denying Christ’s divinity or is it not a sin because I was confused and not fully informed?

I’m not a theologian, so take this for what it’s worth (not much)…

Not a sin because you were genuinely confused. Mention it in your next confession just to be sure.

Speaking as an unbeliever with an interest in Catholic belief I think the Church has a handy formula for everything involving ‘mysteries’ such as the Trinity or indeed anything else you can’t or don’t yet understand. You just have to give intellectual assent (not emotional feeling) to the idea that you ‘believe what the Church believes’ and you are 100% ok. A Catholic will not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong (they sometimes do so on CAF even when I am right). But I think I have this one right.

No worries, though in all your experience the idea of st Patrick, and shamrocks never came in the conversation?

I guess my question is before you learned about the trinity, had you ever heard of at Patrick?

Yes, I’ve heard of him simply from St. Patrick’s day. I knew it was an Irish thing and that’s about it. Never really thought much about him or what he did.
I guess my question is before you learned about the trinity, had you ever heard of at Patrick?

You did not know the truth, you are not held guilty for something you did not know.

You just have to give intellectual assent (not emotional feeling) to the idea that you ‘believe what the Church believes’ and you are 100% ok.
This gives the wrong impression that reason cannot be used to support dogmas, especially to a new convert. The reasons can be read in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and then there are volumes written by early Church Fathers and Doctors of the Church. We are not short of reasonable support for what we believe. But ultimately faith is a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back