Would this count as blasphemy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheOne33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheOne33

Guest
Is it blasphemy to think that some of the laity (especialy the young people) are a little naive?
 
I’m thinking you don’t understand what the word “blasphemy” means. What do you think it means?
 
No, because I think that too. Even though I am laity, and probably naive aswell.
 
Is it blasphemy to think that some of the laity (especialy the young people) are a little naive?
Blasphemy is giving offence to God by cursing Him, using His name inappropriately or disrespectfully, or showing disrespect to Him. By extension, it also includes such behaviour when directed towards His Church, His Saints, and sacred things (such as the Bible, for example.) The Catechism lists it as a grave sin.

Thus, cursing God or the Church is blasphemy. Burning a Bible would also count.

But thinking the laity is naive? Well, while I’m certainly guilty of having thought to myself “Wow, Charismatic Guitar Boy over there is one heck of an unrealistic, wide-eyed idealist”, I doubt that would count as blasphemy of any sort. It would be an uncharitable or judgmental thought or opinion, nothing more.
 
Well at first when I thought it I thought the church, but what I meant was the laity. Does this change anything? 😦
 
Oh. Well…maybe. I never really thought about it, but now I am curious.
 
Is it blasphemy to think that some of the laity (especialy the young people) are a little naive?
Modern Catholic Dictionary:

BLASPHEMY. Speaking against God in a contemptuous, scornful, or abusive manner. Included under blasphemy are offenses committed by thought, word, or action. Serious contemptuous ridicule of the saints, sacred objects, or of persons consecrated to God is also blasphemous because God is indirectly attacked. Blasphemy is a grave violation of charity toward God. Its gravity may be judged by the capital punishment in the Old Testament, severe penalties of the Church, and in many cases also of the State for blasphemous speech or conduct. In order for a person to sin gravely in this manner, he must use blasphemous expressions and realize the contemptuous meaning of what he says or does. (Etym. Latin blasphemia, blasphemy; from Greek blasphēmein, to speak ill of.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top