Wrong to believe in karma?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whatevergirl

Guest
*As a devout Catholic, is it ‘wrong’ to believe in ‘karma?’ Since it gets its roots from Buddhism/Hinduism, I wasn’t sure. Can we ‘bring’ about bad things to happen to ourselves (ie karma)? As a Catholic, I just look at it as we reap what we sow…is that considered karma?

:confused:*
 
*As a devout Catholic, is it ‘wrong’ to believe in ‘karma?’ Since it gets its roots from Buddhism/Hinduism, I wasn’t sure. Can we ‘bring’ about bad things to happen to ourselves (ie karma)? As a Catholic, I just look at it as we reap what we sow…is that considered karma?

:confused:*
It has no source in Catholicism.

It is wrong to believe in karma.
 
Here is what I know about “karma”. “Karma” is a belief that you get back, whatever you deserve… good or bad… from this life or previous lives.

It implies a belief in… or acceptance of reincarnation. Which the Catholic Church teaches us, is false.

"Death is the end of man’s earthly pilgrimage, of the time of grace and mercy which God offers him so as to work out his earthly life in keeping with the divine plan, and to decide his ultimate destiny. When “the single course of our earthly life” is completed, we shall not return to other earthly lives: “It is appointed for men to die once.” There is no “reincarnation” after death. (CCC 1013)

Hope this helps. God bless.
 
*Ooooohhhh…I didn’t know reincarnation was a tenet of karma belief. Interesting. Yes, then Catholics should not believe this. I thought it was more simpler–like we reap what we sow…(in this life!) ha which is how I thought it was implied.

Thanks Marie. :)*
 
also I think that the Catholic view of suffering is different… we can see that “bad things happen to good people” not just to the downright evil! suffering is more of a cross we have to carry and less the result of ‘karma’.

however, the idea of ‘temporal punishment’ is also taught: in that way, we do reap what we sow. Maybe that would be the more Catholic term for it 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top