Wycliffe and Tyndale Translations

  • Thread starter Thread starter regression
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

regression

Guest
I have read that the Wycliffe and Tyndale translations were not allowed by the Church because they work incorrect / faulty translations. Does anyone have an example of what they translated incorrectly? In all my searching, all I can find are people saying how he was persecuted for simply translating the bible to English.
 
I have read that the Wycliffe and Tyndale translations were not allowed by the Church because they work incorrect / faulty translations. Does anyone have an example of what they translated incorrectly? In all my searching, all I can find are people saying how he was persecuted for simply translating the bible to English.
Well, there were other bibles translated in English already, so why would he be persecuted…

I think his commentary was what got him in the deep end.
 
I have read that the Wycliffe and Tyndale translations were not allowed by the Church because they work incorrect / faulty translations. Does anyone have an example of what they translated incorrectly? In all my searching, all I can find are people saying how he was persecuted for simply translating the bible to English.
This is actually a really good question and I hope others with solid info will weigh in. Because these Bibles were hand-copied, they were bound to contain some copyists errors. However, my sense of Wycliffe’s running afoul of the church was more about the fact that he was seen as the founder of the Lollard movement (which criticized church wealth and developed some radical theological views that today would be fairly familiar to churches of the Radical Reformation), and that he had been fired from his job at Oxford. Here’s a famous quote by St. Thomas More: *Dialogue Concerning Heresies *(1529) “(T)he great arch-heretic Wyclyffe, whereas the whole Bible was long before his days by virtuous and well learned men translated into the English tongue, and by good and godly people with devotion and soberness well and reverently read, took upon him a malicious purpose to translate it of new.” More seems to stress the fact that Wyclyffe was a heretic rather than a poor translator.

But basically he was seen as a heterodox radical and it seems his Bible was condemned by more by association–and like all banned books, his translation proved popular. And his version exercised a great deal of influence over the KJV and its descendants.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top