Yet another way to covet

• Thread starter Thread starter AlanFromWichita
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlanFromWichita

This morning I was communing with the dog and realized a whole way I’d not isolated, that men envy each other.

We envy each others’ stories.

We may not care about the neighbor’s attractive wife or great children or possessions, as much as about the story that others have of explaining where they are.

Maybe we want a story to excuse us, or to embolden us or give us confidence. We share stories all the time but who can tell anothers’ story truly, unless one has walked a mile in his moccasins.

I have walked many miles in my neighbor’s moccasins. He took them off his feet and gave them and his coat to me when we were out in the snow watching my house burn down. I will never be able to judge him as anyone else except the one who gave to me in time of need.

Christ gave us Mary, His beloved Mother in His time of greatest need. How can we not like a deal like that? He even gave us His story and authorized it for all good uses! (Oops sorry I thought I was still posting on the Marian thread)

Alan

It just now occurred to me this is also a form of idolatry.

If we think another person has accessibility to spirituality more than we do, based somehow on the story they have about their life, that is an insult to the story that God created for each of us to unfold and enjoy – according to our general and particular vocations.

Alan

Quoting Alan…
If we think another person has accessibility to spirituality more than we do, based somehow on the story they have about their life, that is an insult to the story that God created for each of us to unfold and enjoy – according to our general and particular vocations.
Well said Alan!..well said indeed.

I have often wondered about Holy Envy…since I hear there is such a thing, though I am unsure what it means, other than to envy perhaps another’s virtues, not jealously so but with admiration and a wish tacked on that I could aspire to such, if only!

But Yes! Every person’s story is sacred and holy - their journey is …and all of it and every second of it. Major and minor, greater and less etc. or qualitative or quantative assessments or judgements are worldly matters and do not speak in the spiritual life. For God’s Will is always Sacred, Holy…it is present in every single life no matter and with the capacity to lead to the fullness of holiness, sanctity and Union.

Thank you for the thought Alan…Barb:wave:

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
Thank you for the thought Alan…Barb:wave:
And thanks to you for your kind commentary. 🙂

I know you always have my “six” as some of our kids say. 😉

Alan

I have considered what this says about praying to saints.

To me there is no problem here because saints performed miracles, as far as the Church is concerned, for the same reason Christ did: to establish, in part, evidence of being from God.

The miracles themselves are not to be envied, and the saints would gladly have bore them privately without outward show if it were only possible.

I think the saints’ performing miracles or other Church methods of establishing saints neither denigrates our own holiness nor “cheapens” that of the saints to the same status at outward appearances. These people truly are holy and the extremes under which they upheld their faith is remarkable and instructive.

Therefore I claim to do no intentional blasphemy to any saint, ordained or not, by asserting that our own stories are sacred for purposes we may not even know. That may actually include “catholic” with the lower case “c” as well as Catholic.

Alan

edit>> Sorry: first draft misspelled “neither – nor” as “either – or” thus giving a possible very false impression… :o

Alan,
what an awsome insight you have just provided… once again, I’ve learned something from you. I’ve always wondered why I held a secret envy of one of my friends… although she doens’t have a perfect life, she’s got a good, loving husband, she’s pregnant with baby #6 and she’s got what I see as a good sense of holiness. Only until very recently (and you’ve really clarified it for me)… I realized that I shouldn’t even compare my holiness to hers (or lack thereof). God gave us each a plan and we shouldn’t set ourselves up to another persons’ standards… but to God’s. You just summed it up alot nicer that I ever could have…
thanks!
theresa

Alan,

I second (or “third”) the thanks to you for your post. I have always had a problem with envy of a spiritual nature. While I am busy envying others, I allow my own opportunities for recognizing God’s love to slip away.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
It just now occurred to me this is also a form of idolatry.

Alan
Code:
Thank you Alan…a grateful heart to hear such wisdom and a humble reminder that if God gives me a size 2 pair jeans and another a size 14, it is still a brand new pair of jeans! An old pastor has said just about as much…be content with what God gives you and work with that…:blessyou:

J.R.R. Tolkien said to his son:

I give to you the one great thing to love on this earth: The Holy Eucharist. Within in you’ll find glory, honor, strength and all the other loves in this world.

I paraphrased but it’s very close.

in XT.

40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
Thank you Alan…a grateful heart to hear such wisdom and a humble reminder that if God gives me a size 2 pair jeans and another a size 14, it is still a brand new pair of jeans! An old pastor has said just about as much…be content with what God gives you and work with that…:blessyou:
Well said Shoshana:wave: …reminds me of something I read somewhere or other “Dont complain about the food on your plate, rather give thanks that there is food on your plate”.

Regards - Barb…and The Lord’s Blessing be upon you also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back