Yoga

• Thread starter Thread starter blourdes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blourdes

Does any one have any links on the harm of Yoga. My sister-in- law is into Yoga big time. Now she questions her Catholic Faith. She brought up Satan in the conversation and how she is doubting the Catholic Faith. I told her that it was Satan bringing in the doubts.

I know Johnnette Benkovic did a series on EWTN about New Age counterfit. It was very goo,. any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Here is a page on ** Yoga **:

crossveil.org/page7.html

It was created by a website called ** The Cross and the Veil**. This website deals with debunking alot of the ** New Age ** beliefs and practices and shows them for what they truly are.

The creator of this website has been on the Ewtn show **The Abundant Life ** that you have mentioned already and was actively into the New Age for a long time.

God bless all

There was a show on EWTN that talked about the problems with yoga. After watching that show, I can only see yoga as evil. I never realized that the positions in yoga had certain meanings and they weren’t good meanings.

“The effort started through the Shoreline/South County YMCA after-school program at Beverly last year and is now offered at Meadowdale Elementary School.”

“Last week, families celebrated the program, which is being introduced at local schools before it takes off nationwide.”

“JC Penney representative Ralph Rutledge presented a $25,000 grant to the Greater Seattle YMCA’s president Neil Nicoll at the event. Both said they are enthusiastic about the program.”

This is very disconcerting. If children are being exposed to yoga as a means of fitness and healthy living, how will parents be able to opt them out?

heraldnet.com/stories/05/09/24/100loc_yoga001.cfm

I totally disagree with the apologist view on this.

One cannot seperate the the spiritual aspects of Yoga from the physical health benefits, no matter what the intention of the group is or how it is marketed. It is dangerous to be lulled into a false sense of security with this just because you are not “Greeting the Sun” or taking part in other prayerful or spiritual practices that are very much apart of the Budhist and Hindu faith as expressed through Yoga. The health benefits of Yoga are secondary to the spiritual goals of Yoga.

The key to Yoga spirituality is the breath work. It is through the breath work that altered states of consciousness are developed over time. This is what causes the phenomina of the Kundalini which i wrote about in the thread I have given in my earlier post.

Unfortunately, Yoga has become an acceptible part of secular society, so much so that discernment in this area has become grey.

Luke

40.png
LukeQ:
I totally disagree with the apologist view on this.

One cannot seperate the the spiritual aspects of Yoga from the physical health benefits, no matter what the intention of the group is or how it is marketed. It is dangerous to be lulled into a false sense of security with this just because you are not “Greeting the Sun” or taking part in other prayerful or spiritual practices that are very much apart of the Budhist and Hindu faith as expressed through Yoga. The health benefits of Yoga are secondary to the spiritual goals of Yoga.

The key to Yoga spirituality is the breath work. It is through the breath work that altered states of consciousness are developed over time. This is what causes the phenomina of the Kundalini which i wrote about in the thread I have given in my earlier post.

Unfortunately, Yoga has become an acceptible part of secular society, so much so that discernment in this area has become grey.

Luke
If there are types of yoga that do not include the breath work, does that mean that you would consider them spiritually okay and not dangerous? I mentioned in an above post, power yoga and the yoga incorporated into a fitness program - neither of which focus on breathing in the least. I’ve also taken “hot” yoga which is similar to power yoga, only done in a warm room to help stretch your muscles more. I’ve not encountered yoga that I would consider spiritually dangerous at all - and have purposely stayed away from ashtanga and kundalini forms of yoga for that reason. Seriously, I don’t know what your experience with yoga is - but turn on the Fit and Lite program with Denise Austin and tell me honestly if you think it’s spiritually dangerous.

There are benefits to the stretching movements from Yoga and it makes sense to exhale and inhale during extending and contracting - no problemo. I could not rule out something of which I just described. I don’t know Denise Austin, I’m from Australia. However, would not many of our stretching exercises and understanding of stretching come from Yoga?

I do believe I can speak with experience when it comes to breath work but it sounds like you are more expereinced than me in these modern forms that don’t have the breath work component and/or the spirituality in them.

I feel we are in agreement?!

Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back