2/3 of the Worlds Resources 'Used up'?

• Thread starter Thread starter jlw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, then we can expect a deadly large scale famine to take place in due time.

40.png
jlw:
Take a look at this:

guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1447863,00.html

What do you think?? I know what I think, but I’ll wait for your initial reaction.
I think its a bunch of ****. Remember in the 70s when some retard economist proclaimed that the world’s oil reserves would be deleted in 10 years, prompting car makers to start mass producing such hits as the AMC Gremlin, Chevy Monza, and the Ford Fiesta? That was over 30 years ago, and where is this depletion of oil reserves?

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
I think its a bunch of ****. Remember in the 70s when some retard economist proclaimed that the world’s oil reserves would be deleted in 10 years, prompting car makers to start mass producing such hits as the AMC Gremlin, Chevy Monza, and the Ford Fiesta? That was over 30 years ago, and where is this depletion of oil reserves?
Would also be good to know that we can’t predict what technological innovations would be available in the future. Say for example… oil… some are working on new technology that would eliminate the need for oil as an energy source… .believe it or not. Things like black light energy etc and hydro-electric cars are making great progress. It’s sort of like how when horses were the main mode of transportation, people would’ve never dreamed about automobiles being as widely available as they are now.

Anyway, not to detract from the seriousness of the situation. Claims of food shortages and all are very true, particularly in places like Africa. It’s really poor management of resourceson a world scale that I think is leading to these problems rather than lack of resources.

posted today by Steven Heyward, an “eco-libertarian”:

“There is nothing surprising about the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment; it has been in the works for several years. I haven’t read it yet, but I suspect much of it is correct: there are massive environmental problems in the developing world. The question is what to do about it. Certainly not the UN agenda. Also, it will be worth noting what the assessment says about the U.S. Almost every environmental category in the U.S. continues to improve dramatically (10 million acres of forestland gained in the last decade, for example; 2004 lowest air pollution levels since monitoring began in the 1950s, species loss greatly reduced, etc). Why? Because we are a wealthy nation. The solution for the developing world is clear: get rich. Then you will have the resouces to save your forests and fix your lakes and rivers. Keep the UN bureaucrats away. These problems are serious, but they are not the apocalypse. One hundred years from now the degree of alarm over this will look silly, like Teddy Roosevelt’s worry in 1901 that we might have to ban Christmas trees because the U.S. was running out of trees (true story).”

Being an older sorta goat, I heard similar warnings in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Nothing happened. By the time we run out of something, I feel sure that a replacement source or alternate technology will be available. We can already run diesel engines on vegetable oils; only about 20% of our electricity is generated by nuclear plants; we could use more trains and fewer trucks; the list goes on and on. After the “Silent Spring” scare, I guess I just got jaded. I’m much more worried about the volcano in the Canary Islands causing a tsunami which will wipe out the east coast of the U.S. That’s going to happen. It’s just that nobody knows when.

I’m much more worried about the volcano in the Canary Islands causing a tsunami which will wipe out the east coast of the U.S. That’s going to happen. It’s just that nobody knows when.
How about the Yellowstone supervolcano that would wipe out the Western USA and plunge the entire world into a “nuclear winter”? Now, that’s something to be scared about! :bigyikes:

Whoa, that’s a mightily big picture…

Anyway I’m currently watching the BBC News and they’re carrying the story.

40.png
jlw:
What are you trying to show us???
You can draw your own conclusion from the photo. But we are told the East is nearly “used up”, and the Western States are soon to follow. I guess not. There is alot more land out there than we think, and most of it is “green”.

To put that photo into perspective:

http://epod.usra.edu/archive/images/nightlights.jpg

If one of the most developed regions of the world has so much vegetation, what about the rest of the “used up” areas?

It wouldn’t surprise me if that is true. When God created the world for us, I don’t think He wanted the resources to be wasted in a careless manner. Destroying the environment now will have both immediate and long-lasting effects. You can deny it all you want, probably because Bush only contributes to it, but it is happening. If you’re going to be “conservatives” then why not ‘conserve’ the environment?Pray that people will stop taking for granted the environment and that they will stop wasting it’s resources. :amen:

40.png
Catholicvegan:
It wouldn’t surprise me if that is true. When God created the world for us, I don’t think He wanted the resources to be wasted in a careless manner. Destroying the environment now will have both immediate and long-lasting effects. You can deny it all you want, probably because Bush only contributes to it, but it is happening. If you’re going to be “conservatives” then why not ‘conserve’ the environment?Pray that people will stop taking for granted the environment and that they will stop wasting it’s resources. :amen:
Ah, THERE you are Catholicvegan!!! Was hoping you would stop by!!

When God created the world…his power to provide is finite???

40.png
Catholicvegan:
There it is!!! That is what it is all about people…

Again, Bush is to blame. (The following link was posted by someone else and I couldn’t help but laugh at the site, enjoy.)
blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/

Who knows if any of this is even true. A good suggestion for a book that touches on this subject is…
“Can America Survive? The rage of the left, the truth, and what to do about it” By Ben Stein (THE Ben Stein) and Phil DeMuth

Great book. Brilliant!!

40.png
Catholicvegan:
probably because Bush only contributes to it, but it is happening.
:rotfl: Bush is to Blame! :rotfl:

That is why I put up the photo:

visibleearth.nasa.gov/data/ev258/ev25835_Maryland.A2003236.1600.250m.jpg

Check out the link. In the States, we now replace the trees we cut down. But the radical environmentalists are even opposed to that! What they want, I guess, is logging outside of the developed world; because if we cannot log here, then logging occurs where there are no tough environmental laws. Environmentalist have three options, (1) allow resources to be taken in a responsible way in the developed world, (2) conquer the undeveloped world and impose your laws on the people of that region, or (3) Status quo, which nobody wants, except the big corporations which benefit from their abuses of the 3rd world.

I’d take the first option which means more jobs for Americans, more responsible and environmentally friendly ways of extracting resources. But hey, all that matters is Bush is to blame…

More the the same gobbeldy gook below: notice “improved health care” – if you read recent news reports of the directon that medical ethicists are heading, what we consider improved health care isn’t what they are talking about.

"…The most comprehensive survey ever into the state of the planet concludes that human activities threaten the Earth’s ability to sustain future generations.

The report says the way society obtains its resources has caused irreversible changes that are degrading the natural processes that support life on Earth.

This will compromise efforts to address hunger, poverty and improve healthcare.

The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment was drawn up by 1,300 researchers from 95 nations over a period of four years.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4391835.stm

Environmentalists have cried wolf so long and so mistakenly, you wouldn’t think that anyone would take them seriously.

Just stop & think about it for a minute (it shouldn’t take that long), resources are infinite. Since God created the oceans, every drop of water is still on this earth. It is still getting evaporated, turned into rain and wow, fresh water falls on the earth. Other than a bit of metal shot off into space, every bit of metal ever mined in history is still here. It is being constantly recycled into new products. Even if it goes to a land fill, it is just in storage for future recycling.

Some might point at fossil feuls and claim that they are being used up. They might be correct on that narrow ground, but again energy is limitless. If we should run out of oil (which I don’t believe for a second), then we will use coal, or wood, or solar, or natural gas, or wind power, or ocean power, or something we don’t even know exists today.

Nope, the world will end before the environmentalist get their doomsday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back