R
rogue13
Guest
John Martignoni has posted the 2nd video in his “Questions Protestants Can’t Answer” YouTube series. You can view it at this link: youtube.com/watch?v=ykU8Ku4ENDs
Maybe that is because it keeps changoing. Like hitting a target moving through time. What is a bullseye yesterday is a near miss today and tomorrow may not even register on the traget.That was the most underwhelming discussion topic I’ve seen in a long time and the question itself really displayed he had no real understanding of most protestant thought on the just what works/faith all means.
I don’t think the Church teaches that we are saved by works. Obedience, yes - but not works, as such. I also don’t know very many Protestants who would say that obedience is unimportant.John Martignoni has posted the 2nd video in his “Questions Protestants Can’t Answer” YouTube series. You can view it at this link: youtube.com/watch?v=ykU8Ku4ENDs
The video only gives a small slice of what Catholic teaching on salvation is all about, since it’s primary purpose is apparently to make Protestants think about what they believe and why. For more on what the Catholic Church teaches on the subject (and what Martignoni himself teaches), check out his website, www.biblechristiansociety.com. A good summary of what Catholics believe regarding salvation is Gal 5:6, “In Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love.” Faith WORKING through love.So, salvation is by faith and works? He says that is what Catholics believe. Which I thought was not exactly it…![]()
Dittos to what Inkaneer said. If he doesn’t have an understanding of most Protestant thought on the topic, than neither do most Protestants I’ve come across. Which version of sola fide is the dogma du jour? The disconnect is not between Martignoni and the “real” Protestant thought on the matter, the disconnect is between Protestants and the “real” Protestant thought on the matter.That was the most underwhelming discussion topic I’ve seen in a long time and the question itself really displayed he had no real understanding of most protestant thought on the just what works/faith all means.
How is that different than Wesley’s view of Sanctification?The video only gives a small slice of what Catholic teaching on salvation is all about, since it’s primary purpose is apparently to make Protestants think about what they believe and why. For more on what the Catholic Church teaches on the subject (and what Martignoni himself teaches), check out his website, www.biblechristiansociety.com. A good summary of what Catholics believe regarding salvation is Gal 5:6, “In Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love.” Faith WORKING through love.
Catholics believe salvation is a process - ongoing, dynamic. Not a static, one-time event. We receive our initial justification/salvation through Baptism as a free gift of God’s grace - we do not “earn” it. After Baptism, however, we must abide in Christ (see John 15:1-6, for example) in order to stay in a state of grace (saved). We abide in Christ through our faith and works - both of which are by the grace of God. When we say we are “saved by faith and works,” that is just shorthand for this process of responding to God’s free gift of His saving grace with our faith and works - both which come as a result of His grace.
umc.org/site/pp.aspx?c=lwL4KnN1LtH&b=2310047Salvation is not a static, one-time event in our lives. It is the ongoing experience of God’s gracious presence transforming us into whom God intends us to be.
But you have to admit he is hard to follow. Not exactly the most articulate guy on the web.Dittos to what Inkaneer said. If he doesn’t have an understanding of most Protestant thought on the topic, than neither do most Protestants I’ve come across. Which version of sola fide is the dogma du jour? The disconnect is not between Martignoni and the “real” Protestant thought on the matter, the disconnect is between Protestants and the “real” Protestant thought on the matter.
By the way, I noticed you didn’t answer the question. Can a man’s faith alone save him?
I was worried that it was just me. I get his e-letters, and it seems to me that he manages to put a three-word answer into about nine and a half paragraphs. Has anyone ever read to the end of one of those things? (Or am I the only one who gives up about half way through?But you have to admit he is hard to follow. Not exactly the most articulate guy on the web.
So true. John is who got me into apologetics!John Martignoni is a great man of God and does amazing work. I praise God for men like him. Shame on those who would attack him for not being articulate enough. It is kind of funny though. Wasn’t St. Paul attacked for not being articulate enough- elequent enough.![]()
.James was definitely not protestant. It seems that we Catholics believe what James and the other apostles believed, That faith without works is dead. Its still faith, but has no life- in the same way a body that is dead is still a body. Scripture speaks for itself.
John Martignoni is a great man of God and does amazing work. I praise God for men like him. Shame on those who would attack him for not being articulate enough. It is kind of funny though. Wasn’t St. Paul attacked for not being articulate enough- elequent enough.![]()
No kool aid around here. Just looking for a straight answer to a straight question.LOL
What is there some kind of personality cult around this guy? I have read St. Paul, uh this guy isnt a St. Paul
I am not attacking him. I just think he rambles. Its my opinion. Heck some people think Bob Dylan is easy to understand too…I am sure he is a great man. Someone pass the Kool Aid![]()
That’s what the bible says. James 2.So, salvation is by faith and works? He says that is what Catholics believe. Which I thought was not exactly it…![]()
So you disagree with James?I don’t consider it a moving target at all:
A) Salvation is via faith alone
B) Faith without works is dead…yes, because one with faith will, without a doubt, do good works
C) One cannot do good works without faith. One can do beneficial works, but they are not by definition “good.”
D) In an extreme example, let’s say someone with the most extreme for of paralysis “locked in syndrome” is in a hospital bed. Is this person penalized by God for not being able to go out and do good works? I think not. What saves this person. Faith alone.
So you disagree with James?