B
BigE
Guest
I was debating a very scripturally sound Protestant on a thread he started in another forum. The Title of it was “21 reasons why the Apocrypha is not inspired” (ie: why the Protestant Bible is inspired and the Catholic Bible isn’t")
We went back and forth for quite a while, but I am working and trying to go to school at night, so time became a huge issue for me (I have school papers to research and write…) and I just ran out of gas. But at some point (I graduate this May) I want to re-ignite the debate. You’ll notice that I was able to reduce his 21 reasons down to 15…lol…
I was curious as to any rebuttals this forum might be able to offer to any one or all of his points. It sure would save me a lot of research time!
Any help would be appreciated!
Here are his now 15 pts (I have to put them in three posts because his reponse went past the maimum number of characters allowed)
Here are his pts 1-9 (10 -15 to follow):
We went back and forth for quite a while, but I am working and trying to go to school at night, so time became a huge issue for me (I have school papers to research and write…) and I just ran out of gas. But at some point (I graduate this May) I want to re-ignite the debate. You’ll notice that I was able to reduce his 21 reasons down to 15…lol…
I was curious as to any rebuttals this forum might be able to offer to any one or all of his points. It sure would save me a lot of research time!
Any help would be appreciated!
Here are his now 15 pts (I have to put them in three posts because his reponse went past the maimum number of characters allowed)
Here are his pts 1-9 (10 -15 to follow):
- The Jewish Canon does not include any of the apocryphal books
- The Jewish Council of Jamnia rejected theh apocryphal books* NOTE: I realize there is some dispute as to whether or not this Council actually occurred. However, after further review, I am convinced that it did indeed happen thus I will enter it as part of my evidence even if it is still under dispute*
- Philo, the Jewish philosopher, never once mentioned or referred to any of the Apocryphal books
- Josephus, Jewish Historian, vociferously rejected the Apocrypha
- Melito of Sardis has the most ancient list of OT books (ad 170) and none of the Apocryphal books are included
- Jesus never once quoted from any books of the Apocrypha
- The NT writers never once quoted from any books of the Apocrypha
- There was NO clear consensus which Apocryphal books should be included and which shouldn’t
- The Septuagint (LXX) - Except II Esdras
- Codex Alexandrinus (A) - Also contains III & IV Maccabees
- Codex Vaticanus (B) -Except I & II Maccabees and The Prayer of Manassah
- Codex Sinaiticus (Aleph)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (C) - Includes Wisdom of Solomon and Ecclesiasticus
- Chester Beatty Papyri - Fragments of Ecclesiasticus
- The Dead Sea Scrolls - Some apocryphal writing was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls - interestingly written in Greek
- The NT had much more consistency and more of a clear consensus with the early church fathers by quoting and acceptance than the Apocrypha
- See Table for the NT: ntcanon.org/table.shtml
- See Table for Apocrypha (scroll down to the bottom of the page): biblequery.org./apoc.htm