4 more days and I think it is a good thing

• Thread starter Thread starter phil3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phil3

The more I think about it I am glad that CAF is shutting down. There is a need for a more open and tolerant place for Catholics to learn, discuss, and debate the faith.

I wish I could take over CAF and run it according to the intend of freedom of speech. Stop people from using “hate speech” as a way to banned people.

The more I think about it I am glad that CAF is shutting down. There is a need for a more open and tolerant place for Catholics to learn, discuss, and debate the faith.

I wish I could take over CAF and run it according to the intend of freedom of speech. Stop people from using “hate speech” as a way to banned people.
Catechism of the Catholic Church
311 Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. Thus has moral evil , incommensurably more harmful than physical evil, entered the world. God is in no way, directly or indirectly, the cause of moral evil.176 He permits it, however, because he respects the freedom of his creatures and, mysteriously, knows how to derive good from it:
For almighty God. . ., because he is supremely good, would never allow any evil whatsoever to exist in his works if he were not so all-powerful and good as to cause good to emerge from evil itself.177

Part of CAF’s problem is intolerance of intolerance, so your plan is misguided from the get-go.

Myself, I’m going to be using the rest of the pandemic time to grow in virtue, and then when it’s over, I’ll meet with Catholics in real life. Online forums are hateful.

Then close the CAF window and don’t come back.

I wish I could take over CAF and run it according to the intend of freedom of speech.
Do you think greater freedom of speech would make the forum better. I don’t.

So many people today are obsessed with “freedom to,” that is, personal liberty. Freedom to say whatever I want. Freedom to do whatever I want. Freedom to be whatever I want.

Look where that movement has brought us. The world is saturated with self-absorption, greed, pleasure-seeking, and lust for power. Meanwhile, we are no closer to true freedom.

I’ll leave you with something to think about. What’s the difference between “freedom to” and “freedom from”?

Last edited:
There is a need for a more open and tolerant place for Catholics to learn, discuss, and debate the faith.
If someone has a genuine question and asks it on an open forum, the enemy comes and sows seeds of doubt and confusion. Right from Genesis 3:1 we see it happening, and it’s the same today. That little debate of what God said ended very badly.
3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made.
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?”

CA forums has become hateful,especially this past month when all were made aware of its demise.I’ve been observing for the past week and the nasty snarky comments by certain posters speaks volumes .That they choose to go out in such a way is very disappointing for sure.

I have been banned and so have others only because easily offended people flag a post.

People and too many people here on this board have become sheeple. They are too willing to follow the crowd instead of thinking for themselves.

yea, like the person that claimed I was a bad catholic because I didnt agree that government has a right to take from one an give to another. According to him this is what the church a taught for almost 2000 years. We need to accept the communistic nature of the church according to him.

That they choose to go out in such a way is very disappointing for sure.
I’ve notice an overall change in tone. It was bound to happen…a natural occurrence as people prepare to move on. I hope to be here to the end.
5pm Pacific to Eastern…it’ll be 8pm here on the 31st. I hope I don’t cry when the lights go out…probably will.

like the person that claimed I was a bad catholic
That person was exercising their free speech. That’s what you want, right?

Perhaps the problem is the flagging system, which I’ll admit is biased. Unpopular opinions are more likely to get flagged, which in the Discourse platform leads to automatic hiding of posts and locking of threads, and the moderators have to sort it out, which is not always perfect.

It was a worthy social experiment. Now we know how not to run a Catholic forum. Better forums will replace it.

I vehemently disagree with everything posted in this thread!

How to keep disagreements civil?

Last edited:
Well, freedom of speech is becoming a narrowing commodity…not just here but across the board.

The OP is probably angry about perceived loss of freedom.

A peer flagging method really equals mob mentality.

Really our biggest concern should be the coming persecution of Christians. Catholics that used this forum will no longer congregate, commiserate and find strength when times get tough.
The time is past. Soldiers of Christ move on.

3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made.
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?”
Or to quote a cartoon I recently read, the serpent said to Eve, “Independent fact-checkers dispute this claim.”

I don’t have a problem with them exercising their free speech. But getting banned for thing that offend just because a person is easily offended,

I am not angry at all. I am just saying that for a board like this to work, you have to allow offensive speech. You can set limits such as no profanity. But just because a person if offended by the discussion a topic is closed or a person is banned, how do those people work in the real world.

In all my many many years here, CAF has mostly been good and prudent about shutting various topics and users down. Tone of contributions is difficult to mask for any length of time. Don’t you think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back