5. What you like most about Catholic Answers

• Thread starter Thread starter MNathaniel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MNathaniel

Just kicking off the suggested topic #5 for CAF’s final days (though the mods might not have meant this to be quite so literal as a named thread!)

What do you like most about Catholic Answers?

This question is about Catholic Answers overall, not CAF specifically.

I’ll start by saying:
  1. Charity. I know when I tune in to the live radio/video answers, that the host and apologists will be kind, calm, and careful in their speech and affect. I have always appreciated this tone and atmosphere, since before I converted. Special shout-outs in this regard to Cy Kellet who is a wonderful, warm, fatherly host! and who seems to humbly hide his knowledge to play the questioning role for the audience’s benefit. And to Jimmy Akin who goes out of his way to represent opposing viewpoints fairly before responding to them. And to Tim Staples for his awesomely warm, enthusiastic demeanour. Not trying to leave anyone out here – will cut off list now though for space, but add that I appreciate CA seems to screen for everyone who appears on the show to contribute to this healthy, kind, calm atmosphere.
  2. Clarity: Catholic.com is my go-to first resource for searching up a Catholic answer to a question. The search tool on your site is pretty handy, and usually the answers I’m looking for are on there – or at least something to get me started. Special shout-out to Trent Horn on the clarity front. (Of course, he’s also charitable, and other apologists are also clear; I’m just saying what pops into my head here, and Trent Horn’s clarifying speech on specific topics helped me during my conversation.) I appreciate that answers both on the radio show and in print are usually presented in a succinct and simple (in the best sense of simple) way.
Those are my thoughts. How about others? As CAF is closing but Catholic Answers remains, what do you like most about Catholic Answers?

Last edited:
I agree on both counts. Caholic.com is my go-to website for information about nearly any Catholic topic. I also agree with your comments about Catholic Answers radio and TV. I learm a lot by listening to David Anders respond to questions about the Catholic Faith.

Charity . I know when I tune in to the live radio/video answers, that the host and apologists will be kind, calm, and careful in their speech and affect. I have always appreciated this tone and atmosphere, since before I converted. Special shout-outs in this regard to Cy Kellet who is a wonderful, warm, fatherly host in this regard! and who seems to humbly hide his knowledge to play the questioning role for the audience’s benefit. And to Jimmy Akin who goes out of his way to represent opposing viewpoints fairly before responding to them. And to Tim Staples for his awesomely warm, enthusiastic demeanour. Not trying to leave anyone out here – will cut off list now though for space, but add that I appreciate CA seems to screen for everyone who appears on the show to contribute to this healthy, kind, calm atmosphere.
Did you hear Jerry or Patrick?

I read the articles online - Catholic Answers Magazine and listen to Catholic Answers Focus and will catch up on Trents podcast when I get a chance. Live may be good, but 2 hours per day is too much for me.

Last edited:
Presenting my radical ideas and having to defend them has forced me to review my sources and refine my arguments.
BTW: "I am not arguing, I am just explaining why I am right!"

Live may be good, but 2 hours per day is too much for me.
Oh agreed on that front; I think live might be good on a long car ride (so for professional delivery people or regular travellers/commuters) – but I usually tune in to recordings of previous live shows, or specific topics, when I tune in.

I do like, though, that it’s a show where one can tune in live – and reasonably expect to hear calm, charitable conversation. It seems rare that even a rude caller manages to be rude on air without getting snipped off first before they manage it. The show doesn’t seem to need much after-the-fact editing.

I do like, though, that it’s a show where one can tune in live – and reasonably expect to hear calm, charitable conversation. It seems rare that even a rude caller manages to be rude on air without getting snipped off first before they manage it. The show doesn’t seem to need much after-the-fact editing.
Indeed, I haven’t heard Cy host CAL, but, from what I see of him on focus, I don’t doubt that he is charitable.

I liked the sense of belonging to a nearly larger than life parish. My time here has helped me understand better the diversity of people that our priests must shepherd.

Fun people who take the faith seriously, but also can have a laugh too!

I liked the sense of belonging to a nearly larger than life parish.
👍

This is how the internet can be a great blessing.

So, for myself it’s the CAF community, as a complement to my parish.

The other aspect I’ve found most edifying has been the detailed, erudite discussions of biblical and theological topics, which are way above my head but a pleasure to read. Another is the information about other communions respectfully submitted by non-Catholics, even as they have to correct common Catholic misunderstandings over-and-over. 😁

CAF will be missed :cry:, but it’s been a great ten years for me.

Last edited:
It is world-wide, i.e. universal, as is the Church which Christ founded.
Having a wide variety of backgrounds and life experiences (both faith-related and more generally) has been interesting and a blessing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back