N
norabee
Guest
Hi everyone
I’m looking for some advice from fellow Catholics (or anyone really) because I’m feeling a little emotional about this and I’m afraid of doing the wrong thing.
My 5 year old goes to a private non Catholic school which we have been very happy with. (Why she is not yet in Catholic school is a long story but we plan for her to attend one in time for her first communion.) However today she came home from school and told me that during a class discussion of MLK day she mentioned Three Kings Day and her teacher told her she couldn’t talk about that at school. The teacher said (according to my child) that they don’t talk about Jesus at school. And a child who brought a miniature Bible to school today for show and tell was told she couldn’t bring that to school.
I am very surprised by this. My daughter is very religious (wants to be a nun) and this can’t possibly be the first time she’s mentioned Jesus. I am wondering if another parent complained.
What should I do? Obviously I need to talk to the teacher. My husbands wants to transfer her to Catholic school instantly. I want to get to the bottom of why this is suddenly an issue and make a case for freedom of religious expression!
Has anybody dealt with this who can offer advice? I’m dreading speaking to the teacher about this although I absolutely will.
I’m looking for some advice from fellow Catholics (or anyone really) because I’m feeling a little emotional about this and I’m afraid of doing the wrong thing.
My 5 year old goes to a private non Catholic school which we have been very happy with. (Why she is not yet in Catholic school is a long story but we plan for her to attend one in time for her first communion.) However today she came home from school and told me that during a class discussion of MLK day she mentioned Three Kings Day and her teacher told her she couldn’t talk about that at school. The teacher said (according to my child) that they don’t talk about Jesus at school. And a child who brought a miniature Bible to school today for show and tell was told she couldn’t bring that to school.
I am very surprised by this. My daughter is very religious (wants to be a nun) and this can’t possibly be the first time she’s mentioned Jesus. I am wondering if another parent complained.
What should I do? Obviously I need to talk to the teacher. My husbands wants to transfer her to Catholic school instantly. I want to get to the bottom of why this is suddenly an issue and make a case for freedom of religious expression!
Has anybody dealt with this who can offer advice? I’m dreading speaking to the teacher about this although I absolutely will.