7 Deadly Sins

• Thread starter Thread starter Scanner
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scanner

Sorry to ask an ignorant question but what is origin of the 7 Deadly Sins? Is it Catholic in origin or was this from literature?

It is a remarkable concept, seeming rooted in Catholicism, but I am not entirely sure.

Thanks in advance.

Seven deadly sins: envy, sloth, glutony, wrath, pride, lust, greed. Looking at this list, we are probably all guilty of one or more from time to time. I have always believed that the deadliest of all is the sin of pride.

Mom of 5,

Yes, they are all insidious, aren’t they? Why I think it is remarkable is that they give a person such clear focus on one trying to right.

I think each of us has our own battle and one is not any more deadly or consuming than the other. Lust is my private battle, along with sloth. But yes, I have been guilty of all 7 at one time or another.

The insideous nature of all of these is that they lead us into other sins, like pride leading to lying and cheating. They seem to be “entry sins” for lack of a better descriptor.

I believe that the 7 deadly sins are in the bible somewhere, I’m almost positive it’s the old testament but i could be wrong, I know I have read them in there though1

Here is the original source for the seven deadly sins.

Pope St. Gregory the Great (540 - 604 A.D.)
Moralia in Job, Book 31, chapter 45

“The leader of the devil’s army is pride, whose progeny are the seven principal vices. While there are vices which attack us in an invisible warfare under the leadership of pride, some behave like officers and others like troops. For not all faults occupy the heart from the same quarter. But while the greater and less frequently occuring faults can overcome a mind not on its guard, the lesser but more numerous faults pour in en mass. And once pride, the queen of vices, has fully conquered a heart, she soon hands it over to the seven principal vices, or to her generals. The army follows these generals for there is no doubt the that persistent multitudes of vices follow them. We will better be able to demonstrate this if we ennumerate these leaders and the army. Certainly the root of all evils is pride, of which Scripture says, “Pride is the origin of all sin” ( Eccleciaticus or Sirach 10:15). The first of her progeny are certainly the seven principal vices which come forth from the virulent root, namely, vainglory, envy, anger, sloth, avarice, gluttony,lust. And because he is grieved at our being held captive by pride’s seven vices, our Redeemer wages a spiritual war of liberation for us, filled with a spirit of a sevenfold grace.”

cited in The Companion to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, by Ignatius Press, San Franciso, 1995

Gregory the Great. Sermons. in A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, 2nd series, edited by Philip Schaff, D.D., L.L.D., vol 12, 1895.
Wm. B. Erdmans Publishing Company

40.png
Emmaus:
Here is the original source for the seven deadly sins.

Pope St. Gregory the Great (540 - 604 A.D.)
Moralia in Job, Book 31, chapter 45

“The leader of the devil’s army is pride, whose progeny are the seven principal vices. While there are vices which attack us in an invisible warfare under the leadership of pride, some behave like officers and others like troops. For not all faults occupy the heart from the same quarter. But while the greater and less frequently occuring faults can overcome a mind not on its guard, the lesser but more numerous faults pour in en mass. And once pride, the queen of vices, has fully conquered a heart, she soon hands it over to the seven principal vices, or to her generals. The army follows these generals for there is no doubt the that persistent multitudes of vices follow them. We will better be able to demonstrate this if we ennumerate these leaders and the army. Certainly the root of all evils is pride, of which Scripture says, “Pride is the origin of all sin” ( Eccleciaticus or Sirach 10:15). The first of her progeny are certainly the seven principal vices which come forth from the virulent root, namely, vainglory, envy, anger, sloth, avarice, gluttony,lust. And because he is grieved at our being held captive by pride’s seven vices, our Redeemer wages a spiritual war of liberation for us, filled with a spirit of a sevenfold grace.”

A+ Very Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back