A baby shower treat that looks like ---- a baby. Bad taste, or just cute?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lizaanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had friends (yes, plural) make placenta cake, smoothies, bread, etc. And post about it on Facebook. This is a trend apparently. Along with crowning photos.
I knew it was becoming more common, but I don’t actually know anyone who has eaten the placenta. At least I don’t think I know anyone. I’d prefer to not know, actually. Blech.
 
OK, silly me though I was going to hit the link and see an article about how after having a child women take the pill.:o
I’m sorry. If you hover over the link you can see what it says without actually clicking on it.
 
I knew it was becoming more common, but I don’t actually know anyone who has eaten the placenta. At least I don’t think I know anyone. I’d prefer to not know, actually. Blech.
Me too. But when you are innocently scrolling Facebook and then BOOM placenta shake! I love my friends, but I don’t need to see that. Or breast milk ice cream. Breast milk is just fine the way it is.

This is why I don’t go to my friends for dinner.
 
Me too. But when you are innocently scrolling Facebook and then BOOM placenta shake! I love my friends, but I don’t need to see that. Or breast milk ice cream. Breast milk is just fine the way it is.

This is why I don’t go to my friends for dinner.
Thank you for that last. It made me laugh out loud. Thank you!
 
I have had friends (yes, plural) make placenta cake, smoothies, bread, etc. And post about it on Facebook. This is a trend apparently. Along with crowning photos.
No. You’re serious.

Maybe it really is the end of the world in December.

:eek:
 
No. You’re serious.

Maybe it really is the end of the world in December.

:eek:
HAHAHAHAHA!! I know of at least 2 women that have “encapsulated” their placenta…had it dried and ground (into powder?) and put in capsules like a tylenol pill.

But I HAVE heard that it works for PPD. I’m not a woman, so I can only guess…a woman who has gone through PPD will try ANYTHING. Personally…I think I’d rather take pharmacueticals…but do we ever really know those are made of anymore? 🤷
 
:bigyikes::bigyikes::bigyikes:

I don’t even know what to say about that. I mean, ANIMALS eat the placenta. Are we really descending to that level? It’s just astounding what people will do…
That is not exactly something new.
 
:bigyikes::bigyikes::bigyikes:

I don’t even know what to say about that. I mean, ANIMALS eat the placenta. Are we really descending to that level? It’s just astounding what people will do…
Animals also eat bananas, and yet we see no problem stooping to that level. :rolleyes:
 
:bigyikes::bigyikes::bigyikes:

I don’t even know what to say about that. I mean, ANIMALS eat the placenta. Are we really descending to that level? It’s just astounding what people will do…
Baelor;9927172:
Animals also eat bananas, and yet we see no problem stooping to that level. :rolleyes:
Really? You’re comparing a banana to a placenta? How are the two comparable at all?
 
.
I just hope its not used immorally like stem cell research in placenta’s from aborted babies.
Since she can only get them from births that occur at home with a midwife (hospitals would not release biological waste, too much liability) I doubt that she’s dealing with anything to do with abortions.
 
Those who are creeped out by this are experiencing a psychological phenomenon known as the “uncanny valley”. It’s the reason why many feel cartoony baby pastries are ok but more realistic ones aren’t. The more realistic a human facsimile looks the more it creeps us out generally because our subconscious is really good at picking up on fakes and is warning us. Animated films suffer from the same issue. Besides it’s perfectly normal to feel some discomfort eating realistic representations of babies versus cartoon like abstractions of babies.

The phenomenon was originally identified in robotics but applies to other areas.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
 
Those who are creeped out by this are experiencing a psychological phenomenon known as the “uncanny valley”. It’s the reason why many feel cartoony baby pastries are ok but more realistic ones aren’t. The more realistic a human facsimile looks the more it creeps us out generally because our subconscious is really good at picking up on fakes and is warning us. Animated films suffer from the same issue. Besides it’s perfectly normal to feel some discomfort eating realistic representations of babies versus cartoon like abstractions of babies.

The phenomenon was originally identified in robotics but applies to other areas.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
Now THAT is fascinating!!!

~Liza
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top