A better sapient / sentient being

• Thread starter Thread starter Abrosz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t put it in terms of what God “can only do” or what He “cannot do”. That’s the language of a lack of freedom.
The reality is there are things that God cannot do. He cannot do evil. And there are things that God necessarily would do given a particular end in mind. He would choose the best possible world, and the best possible world is only that which fulfils the greatest good for his creatures.

God will always do that which is necessary to fulfil the greatest good because his nature is good.

Last edited:
Yup. A BIG difference between cannot and will not.

God can do anything but He will not do certain things.

God permits us the freedom to be evil as opposed to being good. He will not force us to be good.
No need to force anyone.
  1. God is omniscient, which means that he knows who would accept him and who would reject him - even BEFORE that human would be created.
  2. God has freedom to selectively choose to create those who would accept him, and selectively not create those who would reject him - before they would be created.
  3. So God could choose to create only those who would accept him. These people - volitionally - will accept him when they are created. There is absolutely no force involved here.
A simple analogy: IF we could foresee if apple tree (A1) would bring fruit IF planted and apple tree (A2) would stay barren IF planted, then we could choose plant “A1”, and refuse to plant “A2”.
… because his nature is love…
This proposition is rejected. You cannot axiomatically declare anything about God’s nature, especially when his actions (and non-actions) contradict the hypothesis of God’s love.
God did not create slaves.
There is a world of difference between “slaves” and those who freely and volitionally choose “good” and also freely and volitionally reject “evil”.

And the possible objection that it is “evil” NOT choose to love God is nonsense. In the old communist era the ruling class made a declaration: “who is not with us, is against us.” Poppycock. Eventually they realized how ridiculous that is and changed the slogan: “who is NOT against us is with us”. Of course by that time it was too late.

No need to force anyone.
  1. God is omniscient, which means that he knows who would accept him and who would reject him - even BEFORE that human would be created.
  2. God has freedom to selectively choose to create those who would accept him, and selectively not create those who would reject him - before they would be created.
This is a straw-man of God’s omniscience. God only knows who is good and who is bad because he created them. Had he not created a person it would be impossible for God to know their choices because they never existed. Secondly it goes against their freewill and therefore the dignity of a creature to remove their potential choices from existence. God isn’t going to erase a person just because they make bad choices since that would go against the value that God has given them as living creatures.

From your perspective their existence has no value, but from God’s perspective this is not true.

Last edited:
God is omniscient, which means that he knows who would accept him and who would reject him - even BEFORE that human would be created.
Not necessarily. You’re getting into the realm of the question of “middle knowledge” here. I’d argue that His omniscience only entails those He creates, not those He doesn’t create. Therefore, there’s no “He could defer creating them” option. On the other hand, if you’re merely talk about “before” as in “the period of time interior to the universe prior to their conception”, then that’s a merely trivial assertion.
This proposition is rejected.
You can reject it all you want. We reject your rejection. 🙂

You cannot axiomatically declare anything about God’s nature, especially when his actions (and non-actions) contradict the hypothesis of God’s love.
But there is nothing wrong with showing that the existence of freewill is consistent with a God whose nature is love.

You can avoid and excuse yourself from the conclusion, but the fact remains.

Last edited:
This is a straw-man of God’s omniscience.
You contradict the official and Catholic definition of “omniscience”. “Before I created you in the womb, I already knew you”. So, since you do not accept the Catholic definition of omniscience (to know everything, past, present and future), what are you talking about?

You contradict the official and Catholic definition of “omniscience”. “Before I created you in the womb, I already knew you”. So, since you do not accept the Catholic definition of omniscience (to know everything, past, present and future), what are you talking about?
I never said that God didn’t know you before you were made in the womb. I’m saying that you have created a straw-man of what that fact entails.

I never said that God didn’t know you before you were made in the womb. I’m saying that you have created a straw-man of what that fact entails.
This straw-man is the official teaching of the church.

This straw-man is the official teaching of the church.
God cannot know what he did not create. So it’s not possible for God to not create beings based on their choices before they were created. That’s a contradiction, and you have made that error based on a straw-man of God’s omniscience, not the teaching of the church.

Last edited:
God has freedom to selectively choose to create those who would accept him, and selectively not create those who would reject him - before they would be created.
That would present a deception about human nature.

God cannot know what he did not create.
So you deny the concept of middle knowledge. Read the dogmas of the church:
  1. God’s knowledge is infinite.
  2. God’s knowledge is purely and simply actual.
  3. God’s knowledge is subsistent.
  4. God knows all that is merely possible by the knowledge of simple intelligence.
  5. God knows all real things in the past, the present and the future.
  6. By the knowledge of vision, God also foresees the future free acts of rational creatures with infallible certainty.
Especially #4, #5 and #6.
That would present a deception about human nature.
I don’t understand the word “deception” here. It would be a simple choice for God to decide: “I will create Jack, but not Jill” - because Jack will accept me, but Jill will reject me. Jill’s existence or lack of it would not curtail Jack’s freedom.

ooooh I think you’re on the wrong website forum. Maybe? or maybe your wording of the ideas you present are being misinterpreted as presumptive and arrogant?

Debbie

don’t understand the word “deception” here. It would be a simple choice for God to decide: “I will create Jack, but not Jill” - because Jack will accept me, but Jill will reject me. Jill’s existence or lack of it would not curtail Jack’s freedom.
If He had to filter the human race the whole truth about us would be unknown.

So you deny the concept of middle knowledge. Read the dogmas of the church:
I think you’re confusing the assertions of Aquinas with “the dogmas of the Church.” Nevertheless…
  1. God knows all real things in the past, the present and the future.
  2. By the knowledge of vision, God also foresees the future free acts of rational creatures with infallible certainty.
You’re saying the same thing twice, here. Both of these are covered by the “knowledge of vision”.
  1. God knows all that is merely possible by the knowledge of simple intelligence.
For those who claim that “middle knowledge” is not part of God’s omniscience, this “middle” is what is neither “not actual” (and therefore, not part of the “knowledge of vision”) and not “merely possible” (and therefore, not part of the “knowledge of simple intelligence”).

In other words, you’re attempting to claim that “middle knowledge” isn’t middle knowledge at all, but is included in the scientia visionis or scientia simplicis intelligentiae. So… you’re just (unknowingly?) twisting the definitions to suit your argument.

Last edited:
Why don’t you check the list of the catholic dogmas?
Not sure if you’re talking to me. Both “all real things” and the actual “free acts of rational creatures” fall under “knowledge of vision”, according to the Supplement to the Summa Theologiae:
God by seeing his essence knows all things whatsoever that are, shall be, or have been: and He is said to know these things by His “knowledge of vision,” because He knows them as though they were present in likeness to corporeal vision.

I would like a pair of wings so I could fly around.
Are these wings exclusive to you, or are they granted to all mankind?

Are you prepared for the pervasive anatomical and metabolic changes necessary for flight?

Are you prepared for the social and political changes among men that would come with the ability to fly? Would you like to discuss them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back