A Challenge for those who believe in the Bible Alone

• Thread starter Thread starter 1962Missal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Calvin:
Your quotes from Basil and Origen were identical. Was that a typo?

-C
Yup.

The quote from Basil the Great A.D. 375 should have read:
“Of the dogmas and messages preserved in the Church, some we possess from written teaching and others we receive from the tradition of the apostles, handed on to us in mystery. In respect to piety, both are of the same force. No one will contradict any of these, no one, at any rate, who is even moderately versed in matters ecclesiastical. Indeed, were we to try to reject unwritten customs as having no great authority, we would unwittingly injure the gospel in its vitals; or rather, we would reduce [Christian] message to a mere term” (The Holy Spirit 27:66 [A.D. 375]).

40.png
bengal_fan:
i would like to hear others interpretation of the corinthians passage. please feel free to respond. :dancing:
I’ve always understood perfection, in this context, to mean the Beatific Vision.

Justin

40.png
bengal_fan:
i don’t know what that is?
The immediate knowledge of God which the angelic spirits and the souls of the just enjoy in Heaven. It is called “vision” to distinguish it from the mediate knowledge of God which the human mind may attain in the present life. And since in beholding God face to face the created intelligence finds perfect happiness, the vision is termed “beatific”. For further explanation of the subject, see HEAVEN.
newadvent.org/cathen/02364a.htm
The immediate knowledge the blessed in heaven have of God. Their earthly knowledge of Him, caught in the reflection of created things, has been changed to direct vision. Constituting man’s perfect happiness, it is called beatific.
catholic-forum.com/saints/ncd01076.htm

For an in depth study: adishakti.org/pdf_files_2/beatific_vision_%28catholic-church.org%29.pdf

Keeping in mind that this chapter follows chapter 12 wherein Paul discusses unity, one body, various gifts, love, etc., the following was quoted from my commentary:

1 Cor 13:8-11 “charity is eternal, but the gifts are transitory and temporal. There will be no need or use for them in heaven, just as a man has no use for toys of his childhood.”

To me, it means that we are sinful and fall short in this world, but we have been given spiritual gifts to aid us in our sinful state. However, when we meet Him face to face, the perfect has come.

When Paul makes the comparison of one who sees his reflection in a mirror vs. actually seeing oneself, he relates that to us having a perfect “vision” or “knowledge” of God vs. “actual” perfection of God and perfect love.

Although we have the fullness of Truth through scripture and tradition, this is still simply a mirror vision of that Truth. There are many things He has yet to reveal when we are ready to bear it (John 16:12).

Paul states in 1 Cor 3:2-3 the very same thing. “[2]…because you were unable to take it. Indeed, you are still not able, even now, [3] for you are still in the flesh.” Our bodies are temporary, all things of this world are temporary, and while we are in the flesh, we have not attained perfection in Christ. However, He has given us sacraments to achieve perfection to the best of our ability in our fallen state.

God Bless

Thanks Dave,

I didn’t know that scripture was used for Scripture alone. At least now I can see where an argument for it is. (I don’t agree with it, but I can see how it could be misinterpreted that way.) I don’t know the “official” position of the church, but mine has run along the same lines as the others, just not as clearly defined.

God Bless

40.png
AaronL:
I’ve been going w/my wife to a “Church Of Christ”. When they started their church they did actually give out the whole Bible, (at least theirs) to the government. The government official asked, “Don’t they have catasism sp?” They are proud that they don’t. – In answer to the orginal question about sola scripture. They use a quote, sorry I don’t have the Chapter/Versus, basically, " the Bible is good for teaching". Then the logic is if the Bible is good for teaching, why anything else.
The Bible Verse is 2 Tim 3 V15. I think that is one of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible. It does not say Sola Scriptura but that the Old Testament is useful for guiding one closer to God.

40.png
AmandaPS:
Are you referring to Matt 22:23-29 when they ask him about the seven brothers and marriage?
Yes. That’s the one I was referring to. The Sadducees thought they knew their scripture and tried to trap Christ. They failed miserably.

Originally Posted by homer Why did God bother to give us his word preserved in a written format? When we are talking about the Bible we’re not talking about an ordinary book or a magazine; it is the Word of God given to men by the Holy Spirit. Why shouldn’t be enough for us?
I think your are forgetting something. The word of God is not just preserved in its written form but also in its oral form. Remember the Holy Spirit? Well He also preserved the oral form of the word of God. So it is not enough for us Catholics because it can be distorted by proud people who rely on their own capability, God saw that. So we need a teacher who can guide us and teach us. And who is that designated teacher? The church founded by our Lord Jesus Christ! You see my friend if Jesus wanted it preserved only in the written form, Don’t you think it will be wise for Him to just write it Himself and explain it too to His disciples and tell them not to add anything to it. Hey I’m not an apologist but I do know that the bible needs an interpreter. I’m pretty sure that you didn’t interpret the whole bible by yourself, but you had a teacher who guided you. We both learned from a teacher. The only difference is that my teacher has the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit not to teach in error.

Originally posted by Homer

Back to the electronic device manual example; would the company give you a manual that will make you unable to finish the job of installing the device? Of course not!

My friend if you will check the electronic device manuals that you have, most says that if there’s a problem, question or need assistance contact the manufacturer. Now since you made a comparison between an electronic device manual and the bible, then I can also say that if I have a problem, question or need assistance of understanding the meaning of the scripture, I can call the manufacturer ( the church) and have them explain it in detail to me since I am poor in understanding. Don’t you think our Lord is so wise not to leave us orphans, specially us poor in understanding?

40.png
Shari:
You need an instruction manual for the Manual(i.e. The catechism) 😃

Question, what did the early christians do for the first 373 years of christianity? Wander around aimlessly? 😃
Didn’t you know, Jesus and St. Paul used the King James Bible! If its good enough for them, its good enough for you too!:yup:

(Yes, I’ve heard them say it in Baptist churches):rotfl:

40.png
Malachi4U:
Didn’t you know, Jesus and St. Paul used the King James Bible! If its good enough for them, its good enough for you too!:yup:

(Yes, I’ve heard them say it in Baptist churches):rotfl:
Around here, I’ve seen “If it ain’t King James, it ain’t Bible,” and “If English was good enough for Jesus, it’s good enough for me.”

:rotfl:

:hmmm: How about “Why the Bible?”

Why do we rely on the Bible alone? The Koran claims inspiration, the Book of Mormon claims inspiration, the writings within the Watchtower are claimed to be “inspired prophecies”, so how can the Protestant even know the Bible ALONE is of itself THE ONLY inspired Word of God? It didn’t just drop out of Heaven like manna in the desert. So, why the Bible at all? :hmmm:

disclaimer to Homer- This post does not imply that I do not revere and respect Sacred Scripture so please do not place a thought or sentiment in my head and heart that is not there. It has been my experience that when certain Protestants are questioned on their stand regarding the Bible that we Catholics somehow disrespect the Bible as God’s revelation which we do not. We respect God’s written revelation and the Church that He established through Jesus Christ. -Peace! -Mfaustina1 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back