A Chance to Flip-Flop in the Right Direction

• Thread starter Thread starter mlchance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlchance

In front of the lights and cameras of NBC’s “Meet the Press” last Sunday, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) called parental notification for minors obtaining abortion services “important” and that he was “for it.” These were surprising comments coming from Senator Kerry who has a dismal pro-life record. There just happens to be a bill before Congress that would address this issue. The bill, sponsored by Senator John Ensign (R-NV) in the Senate and Representative Illeana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) in the House, is the Child Custody Protection Act (CCPA). CCPA would make it a federal offense to transport a minor across state lines for an abortion to circumvent a state law requiring parental involvement in a minor’s abortion.

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
mlchance:
In front of the lights and cameras of NBC’s “Meet the Press” last Sunday, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) called parental notification for minors obtaining abortion services “important” and that he was “for it.” These were surprising comments coming from Senator Kerry who has a dismal pro-life record. There just happens to be a bill before Congress that would address this issue. The bill, sponsored by Senator John Ensign (R-NV) in the Senate and Representative Illeana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) in the House, is the Child Custody Protection Act (CCPA). CCPA would make it a federal offense to transport a minor across state lines for an abortion to circumvent a state law requiring parental involvement in a minor’s abortion.

– Mark L. Chance.
Not to correct you Mark, I love your agressive (name removed by moderator)ut, but the CCPA was adopted in the 80s to prevent divorcing couples from “venue shopping” for a state or district that would give them favorable outcomes in custody claims. In effect, a divorcing couple has to have their custody claim vetted in the habitual residence court district where the children spent the majority of their time. Now, they may be expanding CCPA to cover this type of thing, I’ll look into it. The only reason I know this is because I had to become familiar with CCPA during my divorce 9 years ago.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Now, they may be expanding CCPA to cover this type of thing, I’ll look into it. The only reason I know this is because I had to become familiar with CCPA during my divorce 9 years ago.
This is a different version to the divorce-related CCPA. It does specifically deal with interstate transport of minors for purposes of abortion. Here’s a link.

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
mlchance:
This is a different version to the divorce-related CCPA. It does specifically deal with interstate transport of minors for purposes of abortion. Here’s a link.

– Mark L. Chance.
Actually, its a proposed expansion of the existing CCPA. A great idea, although I have some problems with the exception for the “life of the child”. Why would someone transport a child across state lines without the consent of the parents for an abortion to save the life of the child? Makes no sense. Maybe this clause is an aberration to me because I am an active participant in the lives of my children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back