A couple prophetic quotes about today from ancient times

• Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

workinprogress

St Anthony of the Desert (4th century) (Disquisition CXIV):
Men will surrender to the spirit of the age. They will say that if they had lived in our day, Faith would be simple and easy. But, in their day they will say, things are complex; the Church must be brought up to date and made meaningful to the day’s problems. When the Church and World are one, then those days are at hand. Because our Divine Master placed a barrier between His things and the things of the world," (Quoted in Voice of Fatima, January 23, 1968).

I don’t know what “Voice of Fatima” is–sorry.

St Bridget of Sweden (1303–1373): “Forty years before the year 2000, the devil will be let loose for a period to tempt men. When all will seem losyt, God Himself will suddenly bring all evil to and end. The sign of when these events will occur will be when priests will have discarded their holy habits and dress themselves in lay clothes and when women will dress like men and men like women.”

These may be taken out of context–I don’t know, but they do mention what literally happens today and of course you have the Bible passage about people rejecting sound doctrine for what tickles their ears. For those who quote ad nauseum the passage about charity being the highest of faith, hope and charity, Jesus also said he came to bring us truth and the Bible has a lot about people being divided over the truth even though Jesus wanted no divisions amongst his flock. Maybe the Reformers found that to be legalistic.

St Nilus had predictions from ancient times of scuba diving and people calling others around the globe–and these were not happy prophesies.

And if one subtracts 40 from 2000, we get 1960…the year that the Devil himself hidden under the guise of Madlynn Murray O’Hare challenged the Supreme Court and won by getting Prayer removed from Schools…and the rest as they is…History… 😦

Here is the text of the prophecy of St. Nilus:

"After the year 1900, toward the middle of the 20th century, the people of that time will become unrecognizable. When the time for the Advent of the Antichrist approaches, people’s minds will grow cloudy from carnal passions, and dishonor and lawlessness will grow stronger. Then the world will become unrecognizable. People’s appearances will change, and it will be impossible to distinguish men from women due to their shamelessness in dress and style of hair. These people will be cruel and will be like wild animals because of the temptations of the Antichrist. There will be no respect for parents and elders, love will disappear, and Christian pastors, bishops, and priests will become vain men, completely failing to distinguish the right-hand way from the left. At that time the morals and traditions of Christians and of the Church will change. People will abandon modesty, and dissipation will reign. Falsehood and greed will attain great proportions, and woe to those who pile up treasures. Lust, adultery, homosexuality, secret deeds and murder will rule in society.

At that future time, due to the power of such great crimes and licentiousness, people will be deprived of the grace of the Holy Spirit, which they received in Holy Baptism and equally of remorse.

The Churches of God will be deprived of God-fearing and pious pastors, and woe to the Christians remaining in the world at that time; they will completely lose their faith because they will lack the opportunity of seeing the light of knowledge from anyone at all. Then they will separate themselves out of the world in holy refuges in search of lightening their spiritual sufferings, but everywhere they will meet obstacles and constraints. And all this will result from the fact that the Antichrist wants to be Lord over everything and become the ruler of the whole universe, and he will produce miracles and fantastic signs. He will also give depraved wisdom to an unhappy man so that he will discover a way by which one man can carry on a conversation with another from one end of the earth to the other. At that time men will also fly through the air like birds and descend to the bottom of the sea like fish. And when they have achieved all this, these unhappy people will spend their lives in comfort without knowing, poor souls, that it is deceit of the Antichrist. And, the impious one! – he will so complete science with vanity that it will go off the right path and lead people to lose faith in the existence of God in three hypostases.

Then the All-good God will see the downfall of the human race and will shorten the days for the sake of those few who are being saved, because the enemy wants to lead even the chosen into temptation, if that is possible… then the sword of chastisement will suddenly appear and kill the perverter and his servants."

Here is the text of the prophecy of St. Nilus:
"After the year 1900, toward the middle of the 20th century, the people of that time will become unrecognizable.
I hate to read “quotes” which omit the original source! I recently came across another forum quoting this alleged “prophecy” from St Nilus (d. c430) published in “Inside the Vatican”, Oct. 2004.

The following was sent to Robert Moynihan, Editor - who replied, stating that he will investigate.

Quote:

Dear Mr Moynihan,

I refer to an article “The Prophecy of St Nilus” which, I am told, appears in the October 2004 issue of “Inside the Vatican.”

Your website and some other Catholic websites allege that the author was the fifth century, St Nilus of Sinai, disciple of St John Chrysostom, died c. 430 AD. There is an entry in the c. 1912 Catholic Encyclopedia on this saint - but, there is no mention of any prophecies. In fact, in the ultimate paragraph it states that some of his alleged works were “spurious.”

On the other hand, I have come across several Orthodox websites who quote the (almost) exact prophecy but attribute the prophecy to
  1. St Nilus the Myrrhstreamer of Mt Athos (d. 1651?) a 17th century saint - oneearthasinheaven.com/nilus.html
  2. Same as above at members.cox.net/orthodocheritage/St%20Nilus.htm and
  3. An Australian website at home.it.net.au/~jgrapsas/pages/Prophecy.htm
    Quoting St Nilus (14th Century). This entry has a few additions such as “…in three hypostases (Father, Son and Holy Spirit)” and “…and his servants.”
Throughout history there have been many Sainst “Nilus”. However, I have been, thus far, unable to reconcile the entries - first as to which Saint, which Century and, more importantly, the original source document from which the “prophecy” allegedly originates. Obviously, someone is wrong. I suspect that the Orthodox is correct - but it also remains unsourced.

Can you please help me on this one by providing evidence that it is from a fifth Century original document?

With kind regards and God bless,

End Quote:

The trouble, these days, is not that people do not believe - it is that they will believe ANYTHING!

If anyone is able to shed further light on
WHICH St Nilus made the alledged prophecy?
WHICH century it was made in?
WHAT is the name of the original source document?
WHEN was the “prophecy” first made public?
IS IT POSSIBLE that it is spurious? a forgery - even of recent years?

Bear in mind, that if it is a later work (as per the Orthodox claims), then it may have been heavily influenced by Leonardo da Vinci’s scientific and creative thoughts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean O L:
I hate to read “quotes” which omit the original source! I recently came across another forum quoting this alleged “prophecy” from St Nilus (d. c430) published in “Inside the Vatican”, Oct. 2004.
If that’s the case, then this “prophecy” is certainly a fake (which is what I suspect).

Why?

Because it opens with “After the year 1900…”, but the idea of centering then calendar on the birth of Christ was first suggested by Dionysius Exiguus nearly a century after the death of this Nilus, but even then the idea wasn’t used until Bede came along in the 7th-8th Century.

If that’s the case, then this “prophecy” is certainly a fake (which is what I suspect).
Because it opens with “After the year 1900…”, but the idea of centering then calendar on the birth of Christ was first suggested by Dionysius Exiguus nearly a century after the death of this Nilus, but even then the idea wasn’t used until Bede came along in the 7th-8th Century.
Many thanks Timidity: a very logical comment - and it is also my opinion that the “prophecy” is a fake.

However, IF the 5th Century AD St Nilus DID make that “prophecy” exactly as claimed - then, he would have been “speaking” in terms of the A.U.C. calendar, where
(for Dionysius Exiguus) 1 AD = 754 A.U.C.
(see http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/0501b.htm}

Therefore, St Nilus died c. 430 AD = 1184 A.U.C., and he would have been predicting for 1254 AD = 1900 A.U.C.

The year 754 A.U.C. - as you probably know - was the 754th year from the foundation of Rome, and the 1st year reckoned to be the year 1 of the Incarnation of Our Lord.

Therefore, the prophecy IS false, for the year 1900 A.U.C. (which was the only calendar that St Nilus could have then reckoned in) was actually what we now know to be the year 1254 AD.

Inasmuch the events that he “prophecied” did NOT come to pass in 1254 AD - the “prophecy” is false.

Howevre, I am not yet out of the woods - for the Orthodox are quoting the exactly same “prophesy” and attributing it to St Nilus of the 14th and 17th centuries. I am still waiting on responses from the Orthodox. Perhaps Fr. Ambrose of New Zealand could shed some light on this?

No prophecy is ever worth a second look containing predictions with actual dates.

Sean O L:
Howevre, I am not yet out of the woods - for the Orthodox are quoting the exactly same “prophesy” and attributing it to St Nilus of the 14th and 17th centuries. I am still waiting on responses from the Orthodox. Perhaps Fr. Ambrose of New Zealand could shed some light on this?
**"Do not meddle in time guessing. It is written: “It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” Never dare express an opinion regarding the matter nor fall sound asleep. It is written: “Be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.”
** St. Cyril

"Do not meddle in time guessing. It is written: “It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.” Never dare express an opinion regarding the matter nor fall sound asleep. It is written: “Be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.”
St. Cyril
Be that as it may! - I have received the following from
the Webmaster of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia website:

To: “John Loughnan” jloughnan@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: The Prophecy of St Nilus (14th Century)
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:17:00 +0800

Dear John

I have received messages on the same subject matter before. Unfortunately I can’t clarify the situation, but I have taken the liberty to forward your message to someone at our Theological college who may be able to. I am hoping that you will receive a response from Dimitri in due course.

Yours in Christ,
John

I have invited John to view this thread. I hope that Dimitri may be more helpful than your post has been.attempting to fathom the times and the seasons - to the contrary, I am attempting to establish the truth of an alleged prophecy which is carried on at least three Orthodox websites; perhaps you might pass on the quote from St Cyril to them?

I add that I am NOT attempting to

40.png
Timidity:
Just to muddy the waters a little. It is quite common for the beholder of a vision to have little understanding of the revelation he has received. Both John the Evangelist and Daniel had an angel explaining what it was they were seeing. So it is quite possible that the revelation St. Nilus received (whichever one he was) was not something that made sense to him, but who was he to change the words he had been given to speak 😃

John

Sean O L:
I have invited John to view this thread. I hope that Dimitri may be more helpful than your post has been.attempting to fathom the times and the
There are a large number of “prophecies” floating around, some claiming that Constantinople will rise again, that the priest will walk out of the walls of Agia Sophia where he has been immured with the Holy Gifts since the last Liturgy there in 1453 and Constantinople will cleanse the world of Islam and restore the dominion of the two-headed eagle. Others assert that Holy Russia will be resurrected by a new and final Tsar and after his reign Antichrist will be released upon the world.

Widely varying and fantastical (and very contradictory) prophecies on the end times are attributed to this Saint Neilos, to Saint Seraphim of Sarov, to Saint John of Kronstadt. The one thing which they have in common is that they contradict the Saviour’s warning that no man, but only the Father, knows when the end will be.

This prophecy of Saint Neilos first came to light in 1968 in the publication “Orthodox Word” from the Monastery of Saint Herman, Platina, California.

Btw, they are all wrong… the only correct prophecy (but I may be biased 🙂 ) is that the priest who walked into the wall of Saint David’s cathedral will re-emerge. When Wales fell to the heathen invaders the priest took the altar stone which was given to Saint David by the Patriarch of Jerusalem at the time of his consecration. He will come out of the walls of Saint David’s cathedral. King Arthur will return and the glory of Avalon will flourish again until the last battle is fought in the Vale.

I suppose if you want to see the pros and cons of this prophecy you could start off by searching the archives of the Indiana list…

listserv.indiana.edu/archives/orthodox.html

Here is a comment from a Russian Archpriest, Fr Alexander Lebedeff…

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:00:54 -0700
ORTHODOX@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: Re: Prophecy of St. Neilos

Unfortunately, too many people are gullible and will readily believe
“prophecies” which, if examined closely, are obviously bogus…one must recognize the inherently bad theology expressed in this spurious document.

Let us assume that this prophecy was indeed utterred 600 years ago, and that it indeed spoke of things that would occur in the 20th century.

This would mean that St. Nilus foretold that the world (and civilization) would last at least until then. Therefore, for 600 plus years, no one would have to worry about preparation for Christ’s Second Coming since it was guaranteed not to happen for at least that many years.

This is absolutely contrary to the teaching of the Holy Church and the Holy Fathers which holds that we should live in such a way as to expect the Second Coming at any moment, and prepare ourselves as if it were imminent. Getting a 600 years “pass” is a ludicrous and totally un-Orthodox concept.

Go ahead, Elias, tell us what the provenance of this prophecy is. Was it recorded and known from the time of St. Nilus, or was it just recently “found,” just in time for its apparent fulfillment?

Can you name even one saint who believed that God would give the world a 600 year “pass” when people would not have to worry about the Second Coming?

With love in Christ,
Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

listserv.indiana.edu/archives/orthodox.html
and
This prophecy of Saint Neilos first came to light in 1968 in the publication “Orthodox Word” from the Monastery of Saint Herman, Platina, California.
etc.
Ahhhhhh! This is of great assistance. I will browse with interest. Many thanks!

Even so, I have discovered much confusion even in the Orthodox sites - even of the one you have quotes:
At Orthodox Christianity ORTHODOX@IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU
listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind9611E&L=orthodox&P=R2877&I=-3
Speaks of the Prophecy being that of the 5th Century St Nilus.
The following is gleaned from some Orthodox websites

geocities.com/Athens/Styx/5478/OurPolicy.html 5th Century St Nilus!!!

3saints.com/misc_articles.html 5th Century St Nilus!!!

oclife.org/prophecy.html 14th Century St Nilus

onearthasinheaven.com/nilus.html 17th Century St Nilus.

members.cox.net/orthodoxheritage/St.%20Nilus.htm 17th Century St Nilus.

hocna.org/defense/defense.htm 17th Century St Nilus.

www2.netdoor.com/~frelia/prophecies.html 17th Century St Nilus “…posthumously, in 1817 AD … [to] Theophanes, using the dates of the calendar from Creation, from which there has been much confusion.”

ecumenizm.tripod.com/ECUMENIZM/id5.html - refers to The Post-homous Prophecies of St Nilus the Myrrh-bearer.”

Q. How may one deal with a “post-humous” prophecy 166 years after the death of St Nilus. How has the veracity of the “post-humous” prophecy been established? Might it not be the pious meditations of a Holy Monk? How is one to know?

They is much more to discover. Thanks.

Sean O L:
Even so, I have discovered much confusion even in the Orthodox sites - even of the one you have quotes:.
Confusion would be a certain indicator of spuriousness.

I think all prophecy is consistent on a few views:
  1. The world will be filled will evil
  2. This evil will cause some horrible event(s) to occur
  3. There will be a sudden emergence of Christ, Peter, some holy saint, etc., who will set things right.
  4. God will prevail

All that we need to know has been revealed in the Bible. The readiness for the last days and the unknown hour of Christ’s return has a personal dimension. For all those who have waited and will wait for the second coming, only a very small percentage will actually be among the living at the time. All those who would have passed on had their last days already. Would it not make more sense to be ready for one’s own end rather than to ready oneself for the collective end?

Fr Ambrose wrote:
Confusion would be a certain indicator of spuriousness.
I agree.

The vast majority of websites carrying the Prophecies or Prophecy of Saint or St Nilus or Neilos are those operated by Catholic laypersons. an extremely small percentage are from Orthodox - some of which are lay initiatives, but a significant number are archdiocesan, monastery or Parish initiatives.

It appears to me that the Latins have latched on to an alledged, but possibly spurious prophecy from the 17th Century St Nilus - but have falsely attributed it to the 5th century St Nilus, without worrying about verifying sources. On the other hand, the Orthodox have mainly attributed it to St Nilus the Myrrhstreamer (d. c. 1651), but in at least one instance also attributes it to the 5th century St Nilus.

Confusion indeed.

An “End Times” Summary from Desmond Birch,
Author of “Trial Tribulation and Triumph”
Part 1.
Code:
A long list of Canonized Saints, Blessed, and Venerable have stated that the period of turmoil we are living through with be followed by an Age of Peace - and that that 'Peace' will precede the rise of the Antichrist.

Those Church approved Catholic Prophets are very very specific about the chain of events which will precede the rise of the Antichrist. They all say that the Age of Peace comes before the Antichrist.

The Church has always taught that until the entire world is evangelized - and a following worldwide apostasy takes place - the antichrist cannot come. Read St. Paul. He had to write to one of the early Churches telling them about these things - because they were going off the rails thinking that Antichrist had already arrived. Read St. Paul. The more it changes, the more it stays the same. We have been given signs as to what must precede the Antichrist. And they have not yet been fulfilled.

I also sense (as put it so well) a 'new grace afoot'. 

In my experience, those who do not sense the 'new grace' are immersing themselves only in bad news - and will even on occasion violently resist and reject any good news. When that happens it usually emanates from a kind of spiritual 'death wish'.

Those who fully accept the Christian Virtue of "Hope" (on an equal footing with those of "Faith" and "Charity" do not suffer from that particular problem.

St. Faustina tells us that Our Lord told us to concentrate on His Divine Mercy at this time in salvation history.

That is good direction and advice.

The Antichrist cannot already be here for the following reasons:

All the Fathers and Doctors of the Church who have written on the Antichrist state the following:
  1. The Gospel will first have to have been preached to all nations/peoples in world. That hasn’t happened yet.

a. If you will read the Holy Father’s Encyclical ‘Redemptoris Missio’ - he specifically states that the Evangelical work of the Church is “far from over” and “only just beginning”.

b. John Paul II states in ‘Ecclesia in Asia’ - that it is ironic that on the very continent in which Christ began his mission - that Continent has not yet been evangelized except in scattered parts of that Continent - and Asia holds 2.3 of the worlds people.

c. The Holy Father further states in ‘Ecclesia in Asia’ that he “sees” Asia finally being evangelized in the Third Millennium.
Part 2 follows:

Part 2.
d. The Holy Father and the Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples have also both stated that “East Africa” has virtually never been evangelized at all. The reason for that is that the Moslems got there before Christianity - and have martyred Christian Missionaries ever since - almost as fast as they arrive there.
  1. The worldwide ‘Apostacy’ which St. Paul speaks of has not happened yet. Apostacy and heresy are not the same thing. Apostacy is a total renunciation of their Christina Faith by a baptized Christian. Far from the happening, in large parts of the world the Church is growing faster than ever before in history. Africa is a case in point, and so is Asia.

These are just a couple of things which we know from Scripture and Tradition must precede that arrival of the Antichrist. No - the Antichrist is not here - and he won’t be coming till after the entire world has been evangelized - and then after that - the apostacy occurs.

According to literally dozens of Canonized Saints, Blessed and Venerable (who are prophets who enjoy Church-approval - the era we are living through now is going to come to an abrupt end (attempts at World Govt., etc.) and the Age of Peace will ensue. After that Age of Peace - they all state that then and only then does the Anticharist make his appearance.

Now - that is looking at things from the perspective of ‘private prophecy’ from many dozens of Saints, Blessed, and Venerable and other Church-approved prophets.

From the perspective of Public Revelation - we are told and the Church teaches that first the Gospel must be preached to all the nations/peoples. The Holy Father and Church History teach us this has not yet occurred - not even close.

After the World has been totally evangelized - which the Holy Father has repeatedly stated will occur sometime in the Third Millennium - then we have to go through the Apostacy - which St. Paul teaches us the faithful must precede the coming of the Antichrist.

As to your last question - I deal with the attraction of believing the Antichrist is coming at any time at length in ‘Trial, Tribulation & Triumph’ (TTT). If you have not read it - you will find a full discussion of this subject in there. Every single century has had false deluded ‘alleged’ prophets claiming they were told the Antichrist is either already here - or is about to come.

In every century, there have been people wildly enamored of listening to their false prophecy - for reasons I discuss in depth in TTT.

BTW, I discussed in TTT the fact that there were current prophets claiming the Antichrist would make his actual appearance by the year 2000 - or by the year 1998. I was the only author to write a major book on the subject who came right out and said that could not possibly be so. I put my reputation on the line by stating that.

How did I know??? Because the signs given in Scripture and Tradition and found in the writing of the Fathers of the Church from the Apostolic Tradition clearly delineate certain events which must precede that Antichrist. I knew all those thing could not happen in the five years between 1995 (when I was writing that part of TTT) and the year 2000. It was a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back