Greetings to all. Could I please append some Eucharistic questions of my own? These have bothered me for many years now.
Q1. Regarding John 6:53: “Unless you eat my flesh…drink my blood, you will not have life within you”. What life does Jesus refer to? Obviously not physical life; so it must mean some sort of spiritual life. But what is that “life”, and how is it’s presence or absence manifested in a person? Does it mean, perhaps, “holiness”, living a holy life? Many millions of people all through the ages have lived and died without ever hearing about the Eucharist, and I’m sure many of these people were still “holy” by any standards. How were these people lacking for not having the Eucharist? But what about that reference to “our ancestors who ate Manna in the desert - they are dead.” Obviously, they are physically dead. But are they also spiritually dead, ie, damned? So what did he mean by “dead” in this context?
The next questions are related:
Jesus came to give us New Life, in this sense, to live a life of holiness, and grace which is the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus came to give us the Holy Spirit. When you partake of Christ in Holy Communion you receive the indwelling the the Triune God, Father . Son and Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit by His Actions (grace) sanctifies the person, transforming the person into the likeness of Christ.(growing in virtue) The Father loves His Son, and the more He sees His Son in us the more we experience love from Him. Our faith, hope, and love in God grows. Jesus stated “More blessed are they who believe and have not seen” This is a real battle because we are weak human beings, and He does give us consolations to give us courage to continue our spiritual battle. against Satan and ourselves and the world. One thing we must know is that when we are Baptized we become the adopted children of God and heirs to the Kingdom. This makes us saints. Initially we are baby saints, not adult saints. Like any baby we must be nourished. We are spiritual babies, so we need spiritual food to grow. (become holier) Jesus said “In my Father’s House there are many mansions” meaning there are many degrees of holiness, and glory. Jesus in the Manna come down from Heaven, if you eat of this bread, you will never die meaning you will be united with God, in Heaven. Those in Hell will never die either, but they will live in Hell, a place of torment forever. Spiritual life is not necessarily felt, but understood by our intelligence enlightened by the Holy Spirit God is Pure Spirit and our intelligence is spiritual, thats why we pray and converse with God. Don’t look for sound, but look for understanding the truth When you do, you will advance spiritually.
Q2. What exactly does the Eucharist do for us? Obviously, the Eucharist doesn’t guarantee to make a person live a holy life, and conversely, many non-Christians are very holy, despite their being deprived of it. I, personally, don’t notice any special effect when I receive Communion, which seems strange to me, given that I have received the living God. I pray, I listen, but I hear nothing.
Q3. Do Catholics really believe in the Real Presence? I know officially, we do. But if we really, really, really believed that Jesus was really there in the Bread, wouldn’t Catholics spend lots of time near the Tabernacle, trying to make conversation with him, out aloud even, as if to a real person? During each Consecration, as I watch the host being lifted up, I beg Jesus to send my some tiny sign, any tiny hint that all this is really true and He is really present there. But so far, only static. Is my understanding of the Real Presence too fetishistic?
I’ll stop here as this post is getting too long.
Thank you.