F
Fone_Bone_2001
Guest
Ah, I was in that musical in high school! Your thread’s name actually did remind me of the musical’s title, but I thought it was just a coincidence.Thank you.
First, I am a “He.”
Second, I did mean funny ironic. It’s also a tribute/satire of the 1966 movie “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” staring Zero Mostel.
Right. If her leaving the Catholic Church, grave matter in itself, was done with full knowledge and full consent, then unless she repents before death, her soul would be lost.Now, let’s assume for a moment that she has in fact committed a mortal sin (again we can’t say for sure, but for the sake of discussion let’s assume she has). Following Church rules despite all the good she may have done as a Lutheran, she is not in good graces with God because of that mortal sin. Right?
Please observe, though, that “full knowledge” means just that: full knowledge that the action you’re committing is wrong. In this case (an act of heresy or schism), she would need to know that she is abandoning Christ’s Church on earth, the Catholic Church, and His Church’s true Orthodox faith.
If she does not know this, then she doesn’t know she’s turning her back on Christ’s Church, and she’s not sufficiently culpable for her action to qualify as mortal sin. All three criteria - grave matter, full knowledge, full consent - must be met for a sin to be mortal.
If she does know this, then yes, it’s a mortal sin. If she knows that it’s Christ’s Church she’s leaving, it shouldn’t take a genius to figure out why that’s mortally wrong. It amounts to saying, “I know that the fullness of the faith lies in the Catholic Church, which is Christ’s Church on earth, but in spite of that knowledge I am going elsewhere. I want what I cannot have in that church (i.e. ordination), and if I get to have what I want, I’m willing to leave Jesus for it.”
And no, that thought wouldn’t have to be quite so… conscious and explicit for one to be guilty of it nonetheless. And she’s certainly culpable if she is responsible for losing that knowledge… if she slowly let it drift away from her, if she honestly convinced herself, or let herself be convinced, that the fullness of Christ’s Church lies elsewhere.
Even so, however, I’m sure you can see why presuming that Karen is guilty of heresy and schism is, objectively speaking, an offense against the virtue of charity.
Catholics are called to balance both sides of the equation: pray for her, don’t assume she’ll get to heaven when she might not, and don’t presume on God’s mercy. On the other hand, we must simultaneously be hard on ourselves and easy on others, like Karen, in our judgments.
Christ is the measure for which we must strive. On the Day of Judgment, the fact that we did better than Jack but worse than Bob won’t matter. He is the Vine and we are the branches. Whether Karen has severed her branch has no bearing on whether we have.