A little direction needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter rebeccanew
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rebeccanew

Guest
My granddaughter is 8 years old. Finally, after 8 years of praying, her parents are getting her Baptised. This is where I need direction. I am sponsoring my granddaughter at Easter. She was in CD class and to make her first penance this year with her CD class. Now she is not in that class anymore because she is in the CD class for children who are also making their First Holy Communion. Shouldn’t my granddaughter also make her First Holy Communion and be Baptised at the Easter Mass? I appreciate any advise you can give, we are all confused.
 
Your grandchild is not baptized. She does not receive any sacraments until she is baptize-- this includes the sacrament of Reconcilation and the sacrament of Holy Communion.

So, while she may be in these classes for religious instruction, she will not receive those sacraments with those classes.

She should receive the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Communion at the Easter Vigil mass just like every other unbaptized adult coming into the Church. An 8 year old is an adult under canon law when it comes to being received into the Church.

Someone in her parish isn’t doing their job if they are planning to have her receive Reconciliation and Holy Communion with the class.
 
Thank you soooo much. (sorry for the spelling error:o baptized-got it right now).
 
My granddaughter is 8 years old. Finally, after 8 years of praying, her parents are getting her Baptised. This is where I need direction. I am sponsoring my granddaughter at Easter. She was in CD class and to make her first penance this year with her CD class. Now she is not in that class anymore because she is in the CD class for children who are also making their First Holy Communion. Shouldn’t my granddaughter also make her First Holy Communion and be Baptised at the Easter Mass? I appreciate any advise you can give, we are all confused.
Yes, if she’s 8 years old she should be fully initiated.
 
My granddaughter is 8 years old. Finally, after 8 years of praying, her parents are getting her Baptised. This is where I need direction. I am sponsoring my granddaughter at Easter. She was in CD class and to make her first penance this year with her CD class. Now she is not in that class anymore because she is in the CD class for children who are also making their First Holy Communion. Shouldn’t my granddaughter also make her First Holy Communion and be Baptised at the Easter Mass? I appreciate any advise you can give, we are all confused.
How she is initiated is technically a pastoral decision. She is right at the age where the pastor could go either way. A lot would depend on the family background, their participation in the faith.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top