A message in tongues duiring mass

• Thread starter Thread starter lydiabeeuk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
lydiabeeuk:
Hi all,

What do you think would happen if somebody brought a message in tongues and an interpretation during mass such as Paul describes in 1cor 13v27? Would this be seen as acceptable? Does this happen at any of the masses you attend?
I would go to a different Mass. The bible says NOTHING about babbling incoherently and another person pretending to understand it. The Bible says that the people gathered at Pentecost spoke in their own language, and each person heard it in his/her own language- that’s not the same thing as getting tongue-tied.:rolleyes:

40.png
steenrots:
Hi,

interesting discussion! I was in a evangelisation academy run by a charismatic community. At Pentecost of this year the preast began speaking in tongues during mass. I was like :eek:
That really was the last straw for me, because I sensed there was something wrong. There was no interpretation and a lot of people were joining in the tongue speaking I guess just because everyone did it. Group dynamics of course.
Recently somebody suggested this text about tongue speaking.

Errors of Charismatics

I think this is really good and for me this has answered the questions I had about tongue speaking.

Take care!
🙂 🙂
Great article!! Thank you so much for providing the link!!

40.png
Turtledove:
Hi again,
While I do agree that tongues at Mass is not really appropriate, I have not seen any posts in this discussion differentiating between Speaking in tongues and praying in tongues.
I am certain this has been discussed before—it always does come up in discussions about tongues.
Speaking in tongues (which does need interpretation) in not nearly as common as praying in tongues (which is just sounds or groanings which do not need interpretation). A prayer tongue is used for praise or petition, and is letting the Spirit pray for us, since we really do not know how to pray
This is usually the type of tongue which Catholics reference when discussing tongues. It is used very frequently by most Catholics Charismatics in praise and prayers for healing.
I have heard a praise tongue, but rarely, either at the elevation during consecration or after Communion. It is not words, it is sounds. I guess would be considered a liturgical abuse, but I doubt it would be considered serious in a Charismatic style Mass.
I don’t have a problem with what people do in their prayer lives. This is not what I was speaking of. Thank you for making the distinction.
What I am referring to is the chaos that occurs in some of the pentecostal churches I have attended on occasion. You are correct: this is comparing apples & oranges.
God bless.

40.png
m134e5:
I would go to a different Mass. The bible says NOTHING about babbling incoherently and another person pretending to understand it. The Bible says that the people gathered at Pentecost spoke in their own language, and each person heard it in his/her own language- that’s not the same thing as getting tongue-tied.:rolleyes:
I am with you!
I have had personal exposure to what were blatant fakeries. I also have knowledge of worse than that.
I know that many people pray in a “language”. I trust the power of the Holy Spirit to lead faithful Christians as He will. But when it becomes an occasion to disrupt the services of the church, I have very, very much doubt as to the motivation & to the source.
If this is of God, then why would it be occurring in a manner that makes people unable to worship Him in peace & in order??
:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back