A pearly gate question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

myfavoritmartin

Guest
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.

My question is what is your answer to St. Peter?
I sinned 3,352,247 times
But I did good 3,352,250 different things and I was given last rites, so I think I should go in?

Is this putting the differences of our prospective beliefs to simple?

Am I missing something? when I think of things in this manner I can’t help but relate to Gal 2:21.
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.

My question is what is your answer to St. Peter?
I sinned 3,352,247 times
But I did good 3,352,250 different things and I was given last rights, so I think I should go in?

Is this putting the differences of our prospective beliefs to simple?

Am I missing something? when I think of things in this manner I can’t help but relate to Gal 2:21.
Hi Simon, off work today? It’s cold down here but I am glad it is a holiday. Anyway, here is my quick response.

This is just another topic on Faith and Works…I believe this discussion has already brought up so many times.

Well, St. Peter says to you “Great, you have faith in Him. So did I when I was living on Earth. But Jesus had asked me to walk on bare feet from town to town to do His Works. I didn’t sit around and wait for the day of my Salvation.”

While St. Peter was talking with you, St. Paul stays near by calls me up and tells St. Peter “Oh, I know this guy, and he knows Jesus. He actually cooked us a meal when we were hungry. Invite him in!”

I was surprised I said to St. Paul “I didn’t remember I could cook. All I did was I bought some pizza worthed $4 bucks and took it over to the homeless guy and said ‘God bless you’”.

St. Paul smiles and says “Do you still have any slice of pizza left”.

I answered “Pleaseeee, you are not going throw me back down there again. I can still bring pizza and food to those down on Earth while in Heaven”.

St. Paul smiles and all I know next is St. Peter opens the Heaven’s door and lets me walk in… 😃

So, that day I know I am in Heaven but my work on Earth is still not yet done, and I am still a giving-away-free-pizza boy.
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.

My question is what is your answer to St. Peter?
I sinned 3,352,247 times
But I did good 3,352,250 different things and I was given last rites, so I think I should go in?

Is this putting the differences of our prospective beliefs to simple?

Am I missing something? when I think of things in this manner I can’t help but relate to Gal 2:21.
Hi,

That is an interesting spin on it.😃 My minister asked me that question when I was joining my church.

My response was–I dont think I could say anything or give any good reason as to why I belong in heaven. Of course I like and believe your first answer better.😃 👍
 
Gal. 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification were through the law, then Christ died to no purpose.

What “law” do you think we Catholics are relying on for our salvation that nullifies the grace of God, myfavoritmartin? Let’s be specific. 🙂
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.

My question is what is your answer to St. Peter?
I sinned 3,352,247 times
But I did good 3,352,250 different things and I was given last rites, so I think I should go in?

Is this putting the differences of our prospective beliefs to simple?

Am I missing something? when I think of things in this manner I can’t help but relate to Gal 2:21.
I would respond to that question with a quote from the Mass.

"Lord, by Your Cross and Ressurection You have set us free. You are the Savior of the world.
 
myfavoritmartin,

I think that you misunderstand Catholic teaching entirely. You are attempting to pit faith and works against one another, and that is something that is totally unbiblical. Moreover, it does not reflect Catholic teaching.

Upon death I will be judged and I doubt that I will be pleading a case to St. Peter or to Jesus himself. All will be revealed to me and to everyone else upon our deaths. It is by the mercy of God that I have the grace to believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and to do God’s will. In turn it will be by the grace and mercy of God that I will be judged a son and worthy to be in the presence and the embrace of God when I die.
 
at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?
This is weird to me. Whenever I think about my death, it does not involve a questioning, it involves seeing Jesus and being glad. I will already be dead. Heaven won’t depend on if I can answer a series of questions correctly after I die. It is a matter of state, more like. If I have the Holy Spirit within me, I will go to heaven. If I am in Christ, I will go to heaven.

I guess if I have to go with the question image, I’d say I answered them on earth, during my life. The words that were spoken to me will be my judge. I answered when I heard them.
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.
You’re faith saved you? Funny, I always thought Christ saves.
 
myfavoritmartin,

I think that you misunderstand Catholic teaching entirely. You are attempting to pit faith and works against one another, and that is something that is totally unbiblical. Moreover, it does not reflect Catholic teaching.
I am not doing so. I want to see how many out there understand their own faith.
Upon death I will be judged and I doubt that I will be pleading a case to St. Peter or to Jesus himself. All will be revealed to me and to everyone else upon our deaths. It is by the mercy of God that I have the grace to believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and to do God’s will. In turn it will be by the grace and mercy of God that I will be judged a son and worthy to be in the presence and the embrace of God when I die.
Well put.
 
As an Aside…

And I could be mistakens o correct me if i am…

But itsnt paul here talking about people being saved under the old law. That being things like you must be circumcized, eat only this type of meat, sacrifice a dove for your sins, etc.

Doesnt that make much mroe sense?

For if we could be justified by our obedience to the old jewish law, there was no NEED for christ…

Which Catholics and portestants alike SHOULD agree on

Remember, Paul frequently FREQUENTLY compared what it means to be saved as a jew, and what it means to be saved as a christian…

Paul never said that we didnt need to do anything other than believe…

Anyway… jsut a thought

In Christ
 
This is off subject, but isn’t it interesting that whenever a Protestant mentions Peter and the keys, they always picture him standing at the Pearly Gates? They don’t know what else to do with Matthew 16, so as a result, we have all of these silly Peter at the Pearly Gates jokes.

In the end, we all know it won’t be Peter that we meet, but the great judge, himself, Christ. So … if Peter and the keys has nothing to do with his job as a heavenly security guard in the afterlife, there must be some temporal role for him and his keys. I don’t know what that would be … perhaps for him and his successors to bind and loosen in their Christ-appointed roles a leaders of his church … maybe.

But my answer to the OP would be the same. I would point at Christ and say, “I’m with him, so much so that I did everything he told me to and repented when I slipped.”

But doing everything he tells us to means a lot more than walking up for an altar call.

And it means respecting the authority he gave to his earthly church. Rejection of the deputy is, after all, a rejection of the sheriff.
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?

I can confidently say I am with HIM! pointing to Christ…
and my faith has saved me.

My question is what is your answer to St. Peter?
I sinned 3,352,247 times
But I did good 3,352,250 different things and I was given last rites, so I think I should go in?

Is this putting the differences of our prospective beliefs to simple?

Am I missing something? when I think of things in this manner I can’t help but relate to Gal 2:21.
The Catholic answer is the same as yours. We are saved if we are in Christ–if we die in a state of grace. You are under the mistaken impression that Catholics believe in Pelagianism. The Church refuted that heresy centuries ago.
 
VL>>You’re faith saved you? Funny, I always thought Christ saves.

Please, please don’t do this. I really don’t like when people try this little tactic. You know exactly what he meant when he said his faith saved him.

Do you presume that you can correct Jesus when he tells someone to get up and walk for his faith has made him whole?
 
3 questions

In the NT, is the judgement ever described as a quiz?

Can a dead faith save you?

What makes faith come alive?
 
Love is in charge of faith.

One must love God!!! Then one will believe Him and His Son.

Remember, love is the first commandment. This is a cardinal number.

God love you!!!

Martin, what do you think? my favorit martin
 
As a protestant when I am at the pearly gate speaking with St. Peter;) , and he says’ why should I let you in?
We are saved by the grace of God only, not by knowing the right answer to a question. This metaphor is heretical–it’s reminiscent of the Gnostic business of knowing the right passwords.

Faith in Jesus isn’t a magic password that we present at the gate. It is the means by which we share in the divine nature through the saving work of Christ.

In Him,

Edwin
 
Seamus>>One must love God!!! Then one will believe Him and His Son.

Actually faith comes before love. We are saved by faith, not by loving God. Loving God comes as we grow in relationship with Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top