A protestant's observations of first Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a follow up question regarding my first Mass that I forgot to mention. There was a lot of kneeling at times at the Mass. I sat on the back row and knelt at the times I saw everyone else doing it even though I didn’t understand all of it. I prayed to God at those times for myself, my family, and those sitting around me in the sanctuary for God to be with them and guide their lives and be with them in their struggles.

I had knee surgery a few years ago and all of the kneeling kind of tweaked my knee and I am a little sore today – a knee strain, I think. I should be fine in another day or so, I think. It’s similar to how I feel when I overdue it walking or twist it on a divot in my yard while mowing the grass.

Question:
Is it required to kneel ay Mass?


I was wondering for those people who might have had surgery, the elderly, etc. I saw a couple of elderly folks just sitting there, so I suspect it is ok but wanted to be sure.

On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. 🙂
If you are physically prohibited from kneeling, then sitting, or standing is perfectly acceptable.
 
Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.

Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing? I don’t think all protestant churces have nurseries either, by the way although all the ones I’ve been to did. A lot depends on the size of the church and if they have the facilities and staff for it. It also takes enough volunteers (and maybe even a few paid ones) who consider it their way of serving God and the congregation. However, it sounds like the parish I went to either didn’t have that option or the people chose not to use it. I want to stress again that if I decide to return to that CC, I will learn to adjust to the crying baby noise as best I can, with God’s help.
Our church has a nursery (had?). We never used it. If one of our children got loud, I would take her/him out to the vestibule until she/he settled down. Once my daughter got so loud I literally took her outside of the building. :o 🙂

We always wanted to have our kids with us during Mass. And our kids never did well if we tried to leave them with someone else. And…the nursery’s toys and stuff were sort of grimy.

I’ve seen a few Catholic churches that have ‘crying rooms.’

But I would agree that sometimes it gets to be too much–there was a young couple who attended our church for a couple years (haven’t seen them lately) and their children were LOUD. Always LOUD. And they never, ever took them out. We’d make it a point to sit as far from them as possible.

On the other hand, my in-laws’ parish seems to have very little patience for loud children. One Easter Mass I actually heard a 20-something man in the pew behind me mutter about a child in the pew in front of me, “Just hit the freakin’ kid, already.” :eek: 🤷
 
Thanks for clearing that up for me, JRKH and twopekinguys. Now I know I won’t be obligated to kneel if my knee is bothering me the next time I attend a Mass. Yesterday, the adrenaline was flowing and I thought I could handle it without any ill effects until I woke up a little sore this morning. I wanted to kneel as a sign of respect to the Lord and will continue to do so as best I can.
 
Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.

Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing? I don’t think all protestant churces have nurseries either, by the way although all the ones I’ve been to did. A lot depends on the size of the church and if they have the facilities and staff for it. It also takes enough volunteers (and maybe even a few paid ones) who consider it their way of serving God and the congregation. However, it sounds like the parish I went to either didn’t have that option or the people chose not to use it. I want to stress again that if I decide to return to that CC, I will learn to adjust to the crying baby noise as best I can, with God’s help.
Nurseries depend on the parish. Combination of parish size, the facilities themselves to do so, volunteers and importance of having one per the parish priest. We have a glassed in cry room in the back of our church (traditional cathedral). My parents parish in Chicago suburbs has a nursery. Some have neither and some parishes have both.

PnP
 
Our church has a nursery (had?). We never used it. If one of our children got loud, I would take her/him out to the vestibule until she/he settled down. Once my daughter got so loud I literally took her outside of the building. :o 🙂

We always wanted to have our kids with us during Mass. And our kids never did well if we tried to leave them with someone else. And…the nursery’s toys and stuff were sort of grimy.

I’ve seen a few Catholic churches that have ‘crying rooms.’

But I would agree that sometimes it gets to be too much–there was a young couple who attended our church for a couple years (haven’t seen them lately) and their children were LOUD. Always LOUD. And they never, ever took them out. We’d make it a point to sit as far from them as possible.

On the other hand, my in-laws’ parish seems to have very little patience for loud children. One Easter Mass I actually heard a 20-something man in the pew behind me mutter about a child in the pew in front of me, “Just hit the freakin’ kid, already.” :eek: 🤷
Thanks for the info, on_the_hill and Porknpie. Sounds like the policy varies from parish to parish, which is kind of like with my denomination, also. If everyone handled it like you did with your children, it would be a non-issue for me.
 
Thanks for clearing that up for me, JRKH and twopekinguys. Now I know I won’t be obligated to kneel if my knee is bothering me the next time I attend a Mass. Yesterday, the adrenaline was flowing and I thought I could handle it without any ill effects until I woke up a little sore this morning. I wanted to kneel as a sign of respect to the Lord and will continue to do so as best I can.
Yes - This is a good thing, but the Lord understands if you can’t. I’m both amazed and inspired when I see ancient people struggle to genuflect (as best they can) and kneel. You know that it must be painful for them but they do it out of Love and respect for their God.

It’s kind of like the little boy you mentioned earlier…both things are inspiring and warm the heart…

Peace
James
 
Tommy999

Hi again, Sorry that you have the bum knee I completely understand. We stand or knell during the mass From the entrance till the first readings. This is part is the welcoming to the gathering ad the blessings and proclamations on why we are there. We sit during the two Readings and the Psalm and the Stand for the Proclamation of the Gospel. One reason here is " hey this is important standup and pat attention" kind of thing. Then we sit for the Homily and stand back up to make our profession of Faith (Nicene Creed). Sit back down for the offering and the bring up of the Gifts. Form here on out we are at the Most important parts of the Mass and we will be standing or Kneeling from here on out till the doors of the tabernacle are closed. The Reason is Christ presents in the Sacrament you should stand or knell before your King. We stand at the beginning of the Eucharistic prayers as he is about to enter physically into our presents and then at the consecration We is Physically present is the same room with us. So one should stay standing or kneeling until the unconsumed Host are placed into the Tabernacle and the doors closed.

Of course if you have a physical issue that prevents this God is not a unmerciful over lord. I have Back issue that sometime make it impossible for me to remain standing for more than a few moments sit down no one will say or think any thing about it. every one is or should be focused on the Sacrament and not what the person nest to them is or is not doing. Also most people figure either you have an issue that prevents you form standing or kneeling or that you are a non Catholic and just do not know that you should be and we are ok with that just glad and Happy that you are there.
 
I have a follow up question regarding my first Mass that I forgot to mention. There was a lot of kneeling at times at the Mass. I sat on the back row and knelt at the times I saw everyone else doing it even though I didn’t understand all of it. I prayed to God at those times for myself, my family, and those sitting around me in the sanctuary for God to be with them and guide their lives and be with them in their struggles.

I had knee surgery a few years ago and all of the kneeling kind of tweaked my knee and I am a little sore today – a knee strain, I think. I should be fine in another day or so, I think. It’s similar to how I feel when I overdue it walking or twist it on a divot in my yard while mowing the grass.

Question:
Is it required to kneel ay Mass?


I was wondering for those people who might have had surgery, the elderly, etc. I saw a couple of elderly folks just sitting there, so I suspect it is ok but wanted to be sure.

On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. 🙂
If there are good reasons not to kneel at the specified times, then we are exempted. Good reasons are ones of health, so if you have had surgery and your knees are painful, or if you are elderly or for whatever reason have difficulty kneeling or standing, you may remain seated for the entire Mass.

When entering a church, we cross ourselves with Holy Water, and when entering a pew, we genuflect (kneel on one knee and rise again) towards the Tabernacle. The Tabernacle is where the reserved Hosts (the consecrated Body of Christ) are kept. You may have noticed the little red light next to the Tabernacle. This indicates that Jesus is present in the Tabernacle and we genuflect towards Him as a sign of reverence.

As others have already said, we are not required to receive the Eucharist at every Mass, nor do we have to receive under both forms because Jesus is fully present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in both forms. The most minute fragment of Host, the smallest drop of Blood, are fully Jesus, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.

We are only required to receive once a year, just as we are required to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) at least once a year. There are conditions to receiving the Eucharist. The biggie is that we must be in a state of grace, meaning we have no unconfessed mortal sins on our conscience. Venial sins are forgiven during the Penitential Rite at the beginning of Mass. If we receive the Eucharist while in a state of mortal sin, we eat and drink condemnation of our souls. Instead of receiving Life Eternal, we will receive Death Eternal, so it is vitally important to examine our consciences and not receive if we have any doubts about the state of our souls.

This coming Sunday (June 22) is the Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ (aka Corpus Christi). Here are a few stanzas from the Sequence which is read before the Gospel. These are from the Long Form which is rarely used these days because, well, it is long.

*This faith to Christian men is given –
Bread is made flesh by words from heaven:
Into his blood the wine is turned:
What though it baffles nature’s powers
Of sense and sight? this faith of ours
Proves more than nature e’re discerned.

Concealed beneath the two-fold sign,
Meet symbols of the gifts divine,
There lie the mysteries adored:
The living body is our food;
Our drink the ever-precious blood;
In each, one undivided Lord.

Not he that eateth it divides
The sacred food, which whole abides
Unbroken still, nor knows decay;
Be one, or be a thousand fed,
They eat alike that living bread
Which, still received, ne’er wastes away.

The good, the guilty share therein,
With sure increase of grace or sin,
The ghostly life, or ghostly death:
Death to the guilty; to the good
Immortal life. See how one food
Man’s joy or woe accomplisheth.*
 
Thanks, Linda Marie, KRJH, and oneGODoneCHURCH. Your helpful explanations helped clarify things for me, as have all the other previous posters.
 
Thanks, Linda Marie, KRJH, and oneGODoneCHURCH. Your helpful explanations helped clarify things for me, as have all the other previous posters.
Tommy,

On confession, and this is my personal practice, I try going the first Saturday of every month, unless I am in a state of mortal sin, then I go the Saturday before I go to mass.

Matthew Kelly, a Catholic speaker and apologist (link here), asks “what do we do more often, wash our car or wash our soul?” He makes a good point of where our focus need to be…

PnP
 
Hi MacQ.
Of course there are crying babies in all churches. It’s just that some of them do their crying in the designated nursery reserved for babies.

Do any Catholic parishes have nurseries or is that just a protestant thing? I don’t think all protestant churces have nurseries either, by the way although all the ones I’ve been to did. A lot depends on the size of the church and if they have the facilities and staff for it. It also takes enough volunteers (and maybe even a few paid ones) who consider it their way of serving God and the congregation. However, it sounds like the parish I went to either didn’t have that option or the people chose not to use it. I want to stress again that if I decide to return to that CC, I will learn to adjust to the crying baby noise as best I can, with God’s help.
Tommy:
You might try a different parish. Some have nurseries (that depends on enough volunteers to tend them) and some have “Cry Rooms”, which are glassed in areas where folks can sit with their noisy little ones. Lacking those, the parents should really whisk their criers out to the narthex in consideration of others.

You are not required to kneel if there are physical reasons that make it painful. When others hit the kneeler, just sit forward (so as to give the kneeler behind you some room) in a prayerful position and everyone will understand.

The kneeling before entering the pew, as others have explained is “genuflecting” (a bow on one knee). It is a sign of reverence toward the tabernacle (if the doors are shut and the red lamp is on, it means consecrated host (from previous Mass) are inside…that’s Jesus!)

If you are unable to genuflect, a profound bow (from the waist) is appropriate.
If the tabernacle is open and empty, you would reverence the altar with a head bow instead.

Note that none of these actions are required or expected from visiting non-catholics.
 
My left knee is damaged and I don’t bother telling the pastor, just sit a little on edge of pew.

My thing now is how the priests and acolytes and altar servers can kneel for as long as they do on marble floor…I would be ready for re hab.
 
My left knee is damaged and I don’t bother telling the pastor, just sit a little on edge of pew.

My thing now is how the priests and acolytes and altar servers can kneel for as long as they do on marble floor…I would be ready for re hab.
As a former altar server, I can tell you there is a lot of weight shifting that goes on…😃

Peace
James
 
I

Question:
Is it required to kneel ay Mass?


I was wondering for those people who might have had surgery, the elderly, etc. I saw a couple of elderly folks just sitting there, so I suspect it is ok but wanted to be sure.

)
Hi,Tommy…so glad you went to Mass.

Anyway, as everyone has said, if you cannot kneel, you can remain seated, but nudge forward a little to the person behind has some space. What i have seen is people who cannot kneel, remain seated but would get as close to a kneeling position as they can.
On a side note. I saw a little boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) try to copy the form of his parents when they knelt upon arriving in the aisle by their pew. The little boy squatted like a little frog by bending both knees and almost touching the floor with his behind. He was very cute. I could tell his heart was in the right place although he didn’t have the form quite down yet. :
This is called genuflecting. You did not mention it, but did you notice the little water fonts as you entered, these have holy water and we do the sign of the cross as we enter the church, and leave.

Anyway, one time in Church, there was this little tyke, he tried to reach the holy water, could not reach it, so his mom raised him up to dip his fingers in the water, and did his best to imitate the sign of the cross…😃
 
@ OP:

Forgive me if this was already mentioned–(I just skimmed through the first page, then to the 4th)–but regarding the altar boys–2 taking communion, to declining–altar boys often serve at several masses–it may be that the 2 who declined, had already partaken in a prior service.

Glad your experience was mostly positive.

God bless…
 
I’ve noticed that several people now have said that they have never caught a cold (or whatever) from the Chalice.

While I am glad that we don’t look to the Chalice as a source of infection should we get a cold…I must say that I know of no empirical evidence to base such a “100%” claim on.

Not trying to pick a fight…For I believe the risk to be extremely minimal too…but the risk being minimal is not the same thing as saying that it never happens.

Peace
James
Faith!

I have always dismissed the possibility of catching a cold or other illness upon the simple and obvious cost-benefit analysis:

Even if I were to catch a cold or such, is not a cold, or other illness, a miniscule price to pay for the honor, grace, blessing and privilege of partaking of our Lord and Savior, in the Holy Eucharist? Peanuts, by comparison.…

e.g.–a couple of months ago, I was in mass, and as I took the communion Chalice, I noticed what appeared to be spit in the Chalice–white bubbles, clumped together–a fair sum, at that–if it wasn’t spit, it dang sure looked like it. My only concern frankly (or rather, my biggest concern), was that my son–8 years old–was the one who put it in there (as he went before me in the communion line–I thought about confronting him about it afterwards, but declined–as knowing my son as I do, it struck me as so far out of the realm of possibility, as to be not even worthy of sincere consideration). In any event, I took the chalice, swished the spit closer to my end, and proudly drank it–humbled and honored, to be charged with the task of cleansing the chalice for those behind me–while still being blessed with the grace, honor and privilege of partaking of our Lord and Savior’s Eucharistic Blood.

That said, I was a bit concerned about how it got in there–who was responsible for spitting in the Chalice–alas, I can only hope it was an accident…

…or, if I was truly blessed–a test of my faith–and therefore, an opportunity to humbly express my devotion to our Lord and Savior.
 
Thanks for the replies, everyone. To Darryl B, the positives very much outweighed the negatives. The negatives were minor annoyances for the most part. For example, the presence of Christ at the Mass was of top importance. I can tell He was there.

In short, I am happy in my current denomination for the most part. However, I related quite well to the sense of reverence I felt at the Catholic Church. Although I can’t partake in the sacraments of the Catholic church, I find them attractive, especially Confession, which doesn’t really exist at my church in any formal way. The believer is just supposed to handle that on their own between themselves and God, I guess.

I will continue to attend my regular church but have gained even more respect for the CC and would like to attend Mass again in the near future.
And we would love to have you attend again, by the way I am a convert with e pentecostal church of god background.
 
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sorry to hear your knee bothers you also, KathleenGee.
I feared I would stick out like a sore thumb (a term my mother used a lot) so I arrived about 10-15 minutes early so I could get a seat in the back, which I did. When I didn’t go up front to participate in the Eucharist, nobody seemed to even bat an eye or give it a second thought. It went more smoothly than I had anticipated.
 
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sorry to hear your knee bothers you also, KathleenGee.
I feared I would stick out like a sore thumb (a term my mother used a lot) so I arrived about 10-15 minutes early so I could get a seat in the back, which I did. When I didn’t go up front to participate in the Eucharist, nobody seemed to even bat an eye or give it a second thought. It went more smoothly than I had anticipated.
No one does give it a second thought when someone doesn’t take communion (and you were right not to). You can stay seated, or you join the line and cross your arms over your chest when you approach the communion minister, which signals them to give you a blessing instead of communion. This is perfectly appropriate if you wish to do it. And no one questions that either.
Many Catholics taking communion only take the host and not the cup, and that’s ok…even a small piece of the host is considered full communion.
You are welcome at Mass.
 
No one does give it a second thought when someone doesn’t take communion (and you were right not to). You can stay seated, or you join the line and cross your arms over your chest when you approach the communion minister, which signals them to give you a blessing instead of communion. This is perfectly appropriate if you wish to do it. And no one questions that either.
Many Catholics taking communion only take the host and not the cup, and that’s ok…even a small piece of the host is considered full communion.
You are welcome at Mass.
Good form here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top