A push to ban homosexual marriage in MA. in 2008!

• Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Walker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin_Walker

“PUSH FOR TOTAL BAN MAY AIM FOR 2008”

"BOSTON - (Boston Globe 3/30/2005) A leading conservative group, which has been in discussion with the Romney administration, is readying a push ofr an outright ban on same-sex marriage in Massachusetts.

The move could significantly alter the debate on Beacon Hill over same-sex unions this year and undercut support for a compromise measure approved by the Legislature last year that outlawed gay marriage but established civil unions.

Kris Mineau, the president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, said the group plans to unveil the new strategy next month, but he would not elaborate. However, legislators said that they have been briefed by the group aboaut a proposal to mount a new citizens petition campaign to place a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage on the 2008 ballot.

Mineau said he and his group are adamantly opposed to creating a civil unins system for gay couples. ‘We’ve got a new strategy to deal with the situation,’ he said.

Mineau said his group has been in contact with Governor Mitt Romney’s deputy chief of staff, Peter Flaherty, about the new strategy. ‘We’ve [sic] having a good dialogue’, Mineau said.

The compromise that bans same-sex marriage and establishes civil unions must pass the Legislature once more to reach the 2006 ballot. But an alternative amendment to ban gay marriage could reach voters no sooner than 2008, possibly sidelining the issue while Romney decides to seek reelection or run for president."

Kevin Walker said:
“PUSH FOR TOTAL BAN MAY AIM FOR 2008”

"BOSTON - (Boston Globe 3/30/2005) A leading conservative group, which has been in discussion with the Romney administration, is readying a push ofr an outright ban on same-sex marriage in Massachusetts.

The move could significantly alter the debate on Beacon Hill over same-sex unions this year and undercut support for a compromise measure approved by the Legislature last year that outlawed gay marriage but established civil unions.

Kris Mineau, the president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, said the group plans to unveil the new strategy next month, but he would not elaborate. However, legislators said that they have been briefed by the group aboaut a proposal to mount a new citizens petition campaign to place a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage on the 2008 ballot.

Mineau said he and his group are adamantly opposed to creating a civil unins system for gay couples. ‘We’ve got a new strategy to deal with the situation,’ he said.

Mineau said his group has been in contact with Governor Mitt Romney’s deputy chief of staff, Peter Flaherty, about the new strategy. ‘We’ve [sic] having a good dialogue’, Mineau said.

The compromise that bans same-sex marriage and establishes civil unions must pass the Legislature once more to reach the 2006 ballot. But an alternative amendment to ban gay marriage could reach voters no sooner than 2008, possibly sidelining the issue while Romney decides to seek reelection or run for president."

Hi Kevin,
I’m confused. The last paragraph seems to say that they will establish civil unions. Isn’t that just as bad? I mean, it’s de facto marriage. Would this new proposal also remove the civil union option?
Regards,
Jennifer

40.png
tcay584:
Hi Kevin,
I’m confused. The last paragraph seems to say that they will establish civil unions. Isn’t that just as bad? I mean, it’s de facto marriage. Would this new proposal also remove the civil union option?
Regards,
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer;

Yes. We, anti-homosexual marriage, voters here in Massachusetts are very angry that the 2006 referendum is set up to stop homosexual marriage but it allows homosexual civil unions. So what’s the big difference? We’re not going to vote to support in favor of any form of homosexual nuptuals.

What is really sad, is that while Governor Mitt Romney is truly against homosexual marriage and/or civil unions, according to this article he wants to push the vote back to 2008 to outlaw any form of homosexual marriage, which sounds real good. Trouble is, Mitt Romney might not be Governor in 2008, or he might equivocate on this issue, or enough conservative voters might lose interest for it to pass.

I was very upset in reading this Boston Globe article since I’ve been waiting for ~3 years for the 2006 anti-homosexual marriage referendum, now it reads like I’ll have to wait another 3 years while all this homosexual mock marriages are taking place in my home state. :mad:

Between forced busing, homosexual marriage, and the tragic Terri Shiavo case, I am so bitter and angry towards the Judicial system specifically and the democratic mis-process generally. America preaches democracy abroad, but we don’t practice it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back