S
Sabda
Guest
I agree.That’s extreme.
I agree.That’s extreme.
With the endless days of cold we’ve had lately, 32 F sounds balmy.You sound like my dh did years ago when we first started dating. He told me he knew that he had lived in South Dakota too long when we found himself standing outside on his friends front porch and was simply chitchatting. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the temperature was 32 F.
There is a reason why I don’t live up North. Nope, not happening!![]()
I didn’t realize that the quote from the school board’s website didn’t indicate that those were ‘windchill’ temps. It’s not unknown in one town of Labrador to have schools closed for several days in a row since -40º actual temps with high winds are not rare. Our area tends to not get quite that cold but usually we do get at least a day or two per year of ‘cold’ closures (as opposed to ‘storm’ closures which are more frequent). Just think how little our kids would attend school if schools closed when temps are -25ºF (-31.7ºC).That’s extreme.
We are still under a wind chill advisory until tomorrow night. Our wind chill is expected to be as low as -15 F.I read in the paper that the rule here for the public schools is that if the sustained wind chills are negative 20 then schools will be cancelled. They are worse than that now and thus school is cancelled. When I was a child, this was not the case. I don’t think there was a formal policy.
I live in Omaha, NE, and typically don’t wear a coat at all unless it is 0 or below. I probably wouldn’t do that except that my former foster baby has started trying to mimic my behavior and she’s only 3. So now I’m suffering in a coat and mittens around her.
I’d rather not have the heat but we deal with that as well. The summers are just as extreme.
So did we in northeastern Nebraska!I live in southeast SD, and the schools here are usuallyclosed because of snow, ice, reduced visibility, and drifting. However, the schools in my hometown and all the surrounding towns are pretty much all called off for tomorrow, even though it stopped snowing Wednesday afternoon and the wind is dying down this evening. I believe they’re closed down due to extreme temperatures. It is currently -9 with a windchill of -36. We had sundogs today, so you know it’s cold out!
I’m glad -40 isn’t common here. Our windchills get wicked, though. The -25 for us is actual, not wind chill. We tend to get a lot of wind.I didn’t realize that the quote from the school board’s website didn’t indicate that those were ‘windchill’ temps. It’s not unknown in one town of Labrador to have schools closed for several days in a row since -40º actual temps with high winds are not rare. Our area tends to not get quite that cold but usually we do get at least a day or two per year of ‘cold’ closures (as opposed to ‘storm’ closures which are more frequent). Just think how little our kids would attend school if schools closed when temps are -25ºF (-31.7ºC).
We’re in Northern California and I haven’t seen the schools close because of temperatures (it doesn’t get as cold here as some of the far northern states obviously) but when I was in second grade we had school and went out Christmas caroling in town when it was -5. I think it was a little cold for caroling. At least for us California kids!Our area here in Oklahoma is currently experiencing a very serious arctic cold snap as many of you know. Pretty much all the schools are closing because of it. Many kids do not have proper clothing for temperatures that are THIS cold, also many kids walk and have to stand and wait for the bus.
One complaint I have heard that has got me thinking is the fact that schools in the north do not close because of temperatures. Ice and snow yes but not temperatures. I would think if the temps where bad enough they would. So do your schools close when it’s super cold outside. I’m talking unusually cold for your area.
A lot of people out here are praising this decision to close schools but there are some that are really gripping about it. The “I have to work so they should go to school” argumentsBut then there is this argument about the temps and how schools in the north don’t close. I’ll admit that one has me curious. So what say you.
![]()
Hi Sabda! Yes, it’s true, school closings here up north are fairly common, usually because of snowfall but also sometimes because of the cost of heating during extremely cold weather. Easier and cheaper just to tack the missed days onto the end of the school year.Our area here in Oklahoma is currently experiencing a very serious arctic cold snap as many of you know. Pretty much all the schools are closing because of it. Many kids do not have proper clothing for temperatures that are THIS cold, also many kids walk and have to stand and wait for the bus.
What’s a sundog?We had sundogs today, so you know it’s cold out!
A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from Greek parēlion, (παρήλιον), παρά(beside) + ήλιος(sun), “beside the sun”; also called a mock sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[1]
I’ve always seen them as basically rainbows in a circle around the sun. I’ve only seen them here in SD when it gets very cold out.Sundogs are formed by plate shaped hexagonal ice crystals in high and cold cirrus clouds or - during very cold weather - by ice crystals called diamond dust drifting in the air at low level.
Currently I live in the south, but I was raised in a suburb of Detroit. What you post is correct, schools never close due to temprature. You just bundle up and walk to school, that’s it.Our area here in Oklahoma is currently experiencing a very serious arctic cold snap as many of you know. Pretty much all the schools are closing because of it. Many kids do not have proper clothing for temperatures that are THIS cold, also many kids walk and have to stand and wait for the bus.
One complaint I have heard that has got me thinking is the fact that schools in the north do not close because of temperatures. Ice and snow yes but not temperatures. I would think if the temps where bad enough they would. So do your schools close when it’s super cold outside. I’m talking unusually cold for your area.
A lot of people out here are praising this decision to close schools but there are some that are really gripping about it. The “I have to work so they should go to school” argumentsBut then there is this argument about the temps and how schools in the north don’t close. I’ll admit that one has me curious. So what say you.
![]()
Wow. I’m also from Wisconsin, but -25 is the standard. If -5 was the cutoff, school would’ve been closed quite a lot lately.I’m in SE Wisconsin and we have closings for severe weather including extreme low temps. It seems that if the temp before wind chill is 5 degrees or below, it’s a safe bet there will be no school. Last winter we had I think 3 days off for temp and 2 or 3 for snow conditions. Today is potentially one of those days.
When I loved in far NE Pennsylvania, we had a bunch of snow days and delays for snow, and a few for temp too but not as many.
Growing up in Chicago, snow days were rare. Chicago knows how to deal with snow. We did have low temp days though.
I’m actually not sure that’s the standard, it’s just what I’ve observed, but that is with an additional wind chill bringing it well below zero too. If it was just 5 and no wind, then for sure school would be in.Wow. I’m also from Wisconsin, but -25 is the standard. If -5 was the cutoff, school would’ve been closed quite a lot lately.