A question for others with Aspergers Syndrome

  • Thread starter Thread starter WoundedIcon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WoundedIcon

Guest
“Others” as in “I have it too”.

Do you find yourself having a dark sense of humor, or being a bit morbid? I was wondering, if you do, how you go about practicing the Faith? Do you suppress your dark side, or embrace it? Any arguments in favor of one or the other? I find when I try to stuff it down I go nuts. I also tend toward a more intellectual/eccentric spirituality, which makes things difficult when everything seems to be… squeaky treacly…

How do you manage it, if indeed you have some of the same issues? I can’t help but feel like a freaky outsider.

Like that’s anything new for people like us.
 
I don’t have asperges but do experience Seasonal Affective Dissorder and get stuck with darkness of life for me. The priest we have now (I realise he only been here since July) but through serving etc a built up a trust and can share anything with him (email) and be simply me. And yes he knows I feel excluded beyond the church service. Not that whether I might be or not, but I feel that. He’s great.

I think you got to find your own outlet so you don’t have to stuff it down as you say. Use it somehow to practice your faith. So yes, embrace it, since you find it harder when you squash it. But embrace it well and that will take time and pratice.
 
“Others” as in “I have it too”.

Do you find yourself having a dark sense of humor, or being a bit morbid? I was wondering, if you do, how you go about practicing the Faith? Do you suppress your dark side, or embrace it? Any arguments in favor of one or the other? I find when I try to stuff it down I go nuts. I also tend toward a more intellectual/eccentric spirituality, which makes things difficult when everything seems to be… squeaky treacly…

How do you manage it, if indeed you have some of the same issues? I can’t help but feel like a freaky outsider.

Like that’s anything new for people like us.
I do not have but know who have it. They are eccentric and funny for they see things in a different perspective. Some people do not like them for they take them too seriously. But I enjoy them very much…
 
“Others” as in “I have it too”.

Do you find yourself having a dark sense of humor, or being a bit morbid? I was wondering, if you do, how you go about practicing the Faith? Do you suppress your dark side, or embrace it? Any arguments in favor of one or the other? I find when I try to stuff it down I go nuts. I also tend toward a more intellectual/eccentric spirituality, which makes things difficult when everything seems to be… squeaky treacly…

How do you manage it, if indeed you have some of the same issues? I can’t help but feel like a freaky outsider.

Like that’s anything new for people like us.
Yes, I have Asperger’s and I definitely have a morbid streak, especially in my sense of humor. It does make it a bit difficult sometimes because none of my Catholic friends seem to share this and my friends and family who have AS or at least traits of it are not Catholic. 🤷

I restrain myself when I’m around people I don’t know well, or talking to people who I know are easily disturbed. But I am not going to change my sense of humor and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. There is actually a tradition of morbid humor in the Catholic Church - think of stories like St. Laurence being roasted to death and announcing to his executioners, “I’m done on this side,” or that one about St. Teresa being mocked by the devil while on the toilet and her retort, and personally I think that the story about the wheel on which St. Catherine was supposed to be tortured exploding, and flying splinters of it killing some of her executioners, is hilarious. There are lots of others. One saint told the men who were going to kill him that the name of Jesus was written on his heart, and when they killed him they cut open his heart and found the word “Jesus” written inside it in gold letters. (Ha ha!) This stuff is part of our heritage as Catholics. Medieval people in particular seem to have had very morbid humor (ever read Chaucer?). Maybe it was all those public burnings and lack of cleanliness.

Also, I love Flannery O’Connor and she definitely had a dark sense of humor (I have wondered if she might have had Asperger’s - she had a lifelong obsession with raising poultry, for example, and there are other more subtle things). I like not only her stories, but her letters, too. They are quite wise and funny. She also struggled with feeling like a social outsider within the Church.

In this as everything I have opted for being myself. As long as it is not sinful - and sin isn’t really “myself” anyway. I believe there is a place for eccentricity, even that it’s important. But one has to stop caring about what other people think. I mean this with regard to being unusual in ways that don’t hurt anyone. And you have to be willing to deal with a certain amount of pain because of it. Which I’m sure you already know.
 
Yes, I have Asperger’s and I definitely have a morbid streak, especially in my sense of humor. It does make it a bit difficult sometimes because none of my Catholic friends seem to share this and my friends and family who have AS or at least traits of it are not Catholic. 🤷

I know the feeling, as my personality seems to click a lot better with people who aren’t a part of the modern Christian cultural milieu. As a convert, the culture is alien to me: I came for the beliefs and I don’t see how those beliefs logically conclude in such a culture - unless our beliefs actually are different, which is pretty much the fact of the matter, I feel. (However, Traditionalism’s culture seem about right to me, but not completely - a part of our tradition is to be kind of progressive, and it shuns that aspect too much for my tastes.) But anyways, people outside of the Church naturally assume that’s the way Christians are supposed to be and stay away from the religion for fear of getting assimilated, so I think a part of evangelizing needs to involve dirtying things back up a bit. 😃

I restrain myself when I’m around people I don’t know well, or talking to people who I know are easily disturbed. But I am not going to change my sense of humor and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. There is actually a tradition of morbid humor in the Catholic Church - think of stories like St. Laurence being roasted to death and announcing to his executioners, “I’m done on this side,” or that one about St. Teresa being mocked by the devil while on the toilet and her retort, and personally I think that the story about the wheel on which St. Catherine was supposed to be tortured exploding, and flying splinters of it killing some of her executioners, is hilarious. There are lots of others. One saint told the men who were going to kill him that the name of Jesus was written on his heart, and when they killed him they cut open his heart and found the word “Jesus” written inside it in gold letters. (Ha ha!) This stuff is part of our heritage as Catholics. Medieval people in particular seem to have had very morbid humor (ever read Chaucer?). Maybe it was all those public burnings and lack of cleanliness.
  1. That’s freaking hilarious.
  2. It’s pretty much impossible to live a chaotic life like theirs without developing some kind of “darkness” to cope, because honestly it’s just being realistic. Resistance is futile (and induces some seriously painful cognitive dissonance to boot.)
  3. Comfortable lives tend to do the opposite and make anything but positivity seem unrealistic/unnatural, unless the person who is currently living comfortably has already been familiarized with evil somehow.
  4. I’ll leave you to make your own conclusions about our brethren, because what I wanted to write was too blunt. >.> Not angry, just stepping on toes.
Also, I love Flannery O’Connor and she definitely had a dark sense of humor (I have wondered if she might have had Asperger’s - she had a lifelong obsession with raising poultry, for example, and there are other more subtle things). I like not only her stories, but her letters, too. They are quite wise and funny. She also struggled with feeling like a social outsider within the Church.

Ha, I just discovered her. I find her observations poignant and scathingly hilarious, but I feel like a squirrel when I try to read literature so I haven’t read her stories yet. But yeah, she was basically harangued for being “unorthodox” by some people.

In this as everything I have opted for being myself. As long as it is not sinful - and sin isn’t really “myself” anyway. I believe there is a place for eccentricity, even that it’s important. But one has to stop caring about what other people think. I mean this with regard to being unusual in ways that don’t hurt anyone. And you have to be willing to deal with a certain amount of pain because of it. Which I’m sure you already know.

Yep, it hurts but the misery of denying it hurts much more.
 
“Others” as in “I have it too”.

Do you find yourself having a dark sense of humor, or being a bit morbid? I was wondering, if you do, how you go about practicing the Faith? Do you suppress your dark side, or embrace it? Any arguments in favor of one or the other? I find when I try to stuff it down I go nuts. I also tend toward a more intellectual/eccentric spirituality, which makes things difficult when everything seems to be… squeaky treacly…

How do you manage it, if indeed you have some of the same issues? I can’t help but feel like a freaky outsider.

Like that’s anything new for people like us.
I have that dark/morbid sense of humor too. I find that often people just don’t get it and find it offensive. Or worse, they misunderstand and think I meant something I didn’t. So I try to be careful with it. What’s the point of being humorous if you’re the only one who finds it funny? Sometimes people will appreciate dark humor but you have to be careful.
 
I know the feeling, as my personality seems to click a lot better with people who aren’t a part of the modern Christian cultural milieu. As a convert, the culture is alien to me: I came for the beliefs and I don’t see how those beliefs logically conclude in such a culture - unless our beliefs actually are different, which is pretty much the fact of the matter, I feel. (However, Traditionalism’s culture seem about right to me, but not completely - a part of our tradition is to be kind of progressive, and it shuns that aspect too much for my tastes.) But anyways, people outside of the Church naturally assume that’s the way Christians are supposed to be and stay away from the religion for fear of getting assimilated, so I think a part of evangelizing needs to involve dirtying things back up a bit
I’m a convert too and come from a liberal academic culture very different from most of the Catholics I’ve met. I’ve realized I have to sort out what’s really necessary for being Catholic, and what’s not. For instance, it is necessary to be pro-life. (I was anyway before converting, so not an issue.) But if I want to eat organic food, for ethical/health reasons, I don’t have to change that just because a lot of Catholics think that’s a crazy liberal thing. And things like caring about the poor are part of being Catholic, or should be. We have a strong tendency in our society (or maybe it’s just a human thing) to conflate things that often come together and think there is some necessary connection between them, even where there is not. And like you said, I can better evangelize people from my own cultural milieu if I retain the aspects of it that are good or neutral, while also being a faithful Catholic.

I don’t know if it’s because of the AS, but I have always had a really hard time accepting something just because someone - or a lot of people - say that’s how it is, or doing something because everyone else does it. I want to know why, logically, and if it doesn’t make sense, I’m not going to accept it. There are so many inconsistencies within both liberalism and conservatism (whatever those terms mean, which could be about fifty different things) and the conflation of culture and political ideology is also irrational in my opinion. I could go on and on about this, but it’s probably off-topic, so I won’t.
  1. That’s freaking hilarious.
😃
  1. It’s pretty much impossible to live a chaotic life like theirs without developing some kind of “darkness” to cope, because honestly it’s just being realistic. Resistance is futile (and induces some seriously painful cognitive dissonance to boot)
  2. Comfortable lives tend to do the opposite and make anything but positivity seem unrealistic/unnatural, unless the person who is currently living comfortably has already been familiarized with evil somehow.
Good observations.
Yep, it hurts but the misery of denying it hurts much more.
Exactly. And I’m really bad at pretending to be normal anyway. I’m still figuring out what normal is.

I should add that I’ve met some great individuals in the Catholic Church. In a way I’m grateful that it’s given me the opportunity to see into a cultural milieu different from my own, and that there are things to appreciate there too. It just doesn’t make me want to change myself or deny my own background.
 
“Others” as in “I have it too”.

Do you find yourself having a dark sense of humor, or being a bit morbid? I was wondering, if you do, how you go about practicing the Faith? Do you suppress your dark side, or embrace it? Any arguments in favor of one or the other? I find when I try to stuff it down I go nuts. I also tend toward a more intellectual/eccentric spirituality, which makes things difficult when everything seems to be… squeaky treacly…

How do you manage it, if indeed you have some of the same issues? I can’t help but feel like a freaky outsider.

Like that’s anything new for people like us.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
 
Yes, I have Asperger’s and I definitely have a morbid streak, especially in my sense of humor. It does make it a bit difficult sometimes because none of my Catholic friends seem to share this and my friends and family who have AS or at least traits of it are not Catholic. 🤷

I restrain myself when I’m around people I don’t know well, or talking to people who I know are easily disturbed. But I am not going to change my sense of humor and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. There is actually a tradition of morbid humor in the Catholic Church - think of stories like St. Laurence being roasted to death and announcing to his executioners, “I’m done on this side,” or that one about St. Teresa being mocked by the devil while on the toilet and her retort, and personally I think that the story about the wheel on which St. Catherine was supposed to be tortured exploding, and flying splinters of it killing some of her executioners, is hilarious. There are lots of others. One saint told the men who were going to kill him that the name of Jesus was written on his heart, and when they killed him they cut open his heart and found the word “Jesus” written inside it in gold letters. (Ha ha!) This stuff is part of our heritage as Catholics. Medieval people in particular seem to have had very morbid humor (ever read Chaucer?). Maybe it was all those public burnings and lack of cleanliness.

Also, I love Flannery O’Connor and she definitely had a dark sense of humor (I have wondered if she might have had Asperger’s - she had a lifelong obsession with raising poultry, for example, and there are other more subtle things). I like not only her stories, but her letters, too. They are quite wise and funny. She also struggled with feeling like a social outsider within the Church.

In this as everything I have opted for being myself. As long as it is not sinful - and sin isn’t really “myself” anyway. I believe there is a place for eccentricity, even that it’s important. But one has to stop caring about what other people think. I mean this with regard to being unusual in ways that don’t hurt anyone. And you have to be willing to deal with a certain amount of pain because of it. Which I’m sure you already know.
I don’t have Asperger’s but I think your joke about St. Laurence anouncing he is done on one side is hilarious! I think the one about Mother Theresa would be funny too if I knew the rest of the joke. I don’t get the others, probably because I’m not Catholic and don’t know the history.

Anyway, I think people just need to lighten up sometimes. I think sometimes people get so caught up trying to look holy to people around them that they forget how to enjoy life. Too bad for them. It’s their loss.

*Before I get 47 notes of hate mail, I want to state a disclaimer: In no way am I saying that the pursuit of living a life pleasing to God is not important. * I just think people take things way too seriously sometimes.
 
Yes, I have Asperger’s and I definitely have a morbid streak, especially in my sense of humor. It does make it a bit difficult sometimes because none of my Catholic friends seem to share this and my friends and family who have AS or at least traits of it are not Catholic. 🤷

I restrain myself when I’m around people I don’t know well, or talking to people who I know are easily disturbed. But I am not going to change my sense of humor and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. There is actually a tradition of morbid humor in the Catholic Church - think of stories like St. Laurence being roasted to death and announcing to his executioners, “I’m done on this side,” or that one about St. Teresa being mocked by the devil while on the toilet and her retort, and personally I think that the story about the wheel on which St. Catherine was supposed to be tortured exploding, and flying splinters of it killing some of her executioners, is hilarious. There are lots of others. One saint told the men who were going to kill him that the name of Jesus was written on his heart, and when they killed him they cut open his heart and found the word “Jesus” written inside it in gold letters. (Ha ha!) This stuff is part of our heritage as Catholics. Medieval people in particular seem to have had very morbid humor (ever read Chaucer?). Maybe it was all those public burnings and lack of cleanliness.

Also, I love Flannery O’Connor and she definitely had a dark sense of humor (I have wondered if she might have had Asperger’s - she had a lifelong obsession with raising poultry, for example, and there are other more subtle things). I like not only her stories, but her letters, too. They are quite wise and funny. She also struggled with feeling like a social outsider within the Church.

In this as everything I have opted for being myself. As long as it is not sinful - and sin isn’t really “myself” anyway. I believe there is a place for eccentricity, even that it’s important. But one has to stop caring about what other people think. I mean this with regard to being unusual in ways that don’t hurt anyone. And you have to be willing to deal with a certain amount of pain because of it. Which I’m sure you already know.
They had a morbid sense of humor and also knew how to party!
 
I have Aspergers and find it very hard to be Catholic. It’s hard if not impossible to love an entity (human or divine) that does not interact with you on any noticeable level. I find myself resenting God more than anything. I also find prayer and Mass extremely boring. To be fair though, in my area, Mass doesn’t really seem “holy” when all the music sounds like bad 70s folk music and the homilies are borderline meaningless.
 
I have Aspergers and find it very hard to be Catholic. It’s hard if not impossible to love an entity (human or divine) that does not interact with you on any noticeable level. I find myself resenting God more than anything. I also find prayer and Mass extremely boring. To be fair though, in my area, Mass doesn’t really seem “holy” when all the music sounds like bad 70s folk music and the homilies are borderline meaningless.
What drew me towards loving God was noble ideas like “justice” and “righteousness”. I think for someone with aspergers ideas like that can be more appealing than a personality. So that can be a starting point, since God is the author of those ideas.

Don’t give up on trying to find a more analytical priest that you can get more out of listening to his sermons. Or perhaps find a bible study or something of that nature to attend that’s more logical. I know what you mean that listening to feel-good pop-culture-self-help sermons can be boring.
 
I don’t know how to describe it right now, but I think a lot of us autists are picking up on a break in the pattern here. It has to do with the Apollonian and the Dionysian, with the philosophical roots of modern and traditional culture butting heads with each other.
 
I have Aspergers and find it very hard to be Catholic. It’s hard if not impossible to love an entity (human or divine) that does not interact with you on any noticeable level. I find myself resenting God more than anything. I also find prayer and Mass extremely boring. To be fair though, in my area, Mass doesn’t really seem “holy” when all the music sounds like bad 70s folk music and the homilies are borderline meaningless.
Not to sound harsh but I don’t think you can blame this on having Asperger’s. I know plenty of NT people who have these problems.

Pray more, even if you don’t like it. Find a more reverent parish if you can, but if you can’t, offer it as a sacrifice. God does interact with us, constantly … sometimes one has to withdraw from the world to see that that is happening. (Withdrawal from the world - that should be easy for us!) Above all, stop feeling sorry for yourself. AS is a challenge, I do not want to diminish that. Take responsibility for your life and for the challenges you have. Ask for greater faith.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top