M
MacQ
Guest
Thanks. It quite perfectly sums up what the Church teaches (but of course!).I wasn’t able to find this earlier…but your post above reminded me of the following from the Dialogues of St Catherine of Sienna. In the passage below St Catherine is relating what God has told her of what happens at the moment of corporeal death.
I believe it is a wonderful description of the idea of judgement and how it is we who choose our destination by what we have embraced in life.
"Wherefore, know, that at the moment of death, they, having passed their life under the lordship of the Devil (not that they were forced to do so, for as I told you they cannot be forced, but they voluntarily put themselves into his hands), and, arriving at the extremity of their death under this perverse lordship, they await no other judgment than that of their own conscience, and desperately, despairingly, come to eternal damnation. Wherefore Hell, through their hate, surges up to them in the extremity of death, and before they get there, they take hold of it, by means of their lord the Devil.
"As the righteous, who have lived in charity and died in love, if they have lived perfectly in virtue, illuminated with the light of faith, with perfect hope in the Blood of the Lamb, when the extremity of death comes, see the good which I have prepared for them, and embrace it with the arms of love, holding fast with pressure of love to Me, the Supreme and Eternal Good. And so they taste eternal life before they have left the mortal body, that is, before the soul be separated from the body.
"Others who have passed their lives, and have arrived at the last extremity of death with an ordinary charity (not in that great perfection), embrace My mercy with the same light of faith and hope that had those perfect ones, but, in them, it is imperfect, for, because they were imperfect, they constrained My mercy, counting My mercy greater than their sins.
“The wicked sinners do the contrary, for, seeing, with desperation, their destination, they embrace it with hatred, as I told you. So that neither the one nor the other waits for judgment, but, in departing this life, they receive every one their place, as I have told you, and they taste it and possess it before they depart from the body, at the extremity of death – the damned with hatred and with despair, and the perfect ones with love and the light of faith and with the hope of the Blood. And the imperfect arrive at the place of Purgatory, with mercy and the same faith.”
The above is from HERE if anyone would like to read more…
Peace
James
Still, there are those who would derive details from that which are not really derivable, and then presume to judge what is only left to God to judge.
I’m pretty much content to leave details to the unknown category…to do the best I can in this time to attempt to obey His greatest commandment (which is a tall order), and knowing I will not do it perfectly, leave the rest to hope and trust in His mercy.
I always read your posts and have ordered the “best book you ever read”.