I think it is important to keep the question in context, and to weigh it against the other priorities in life. Would I choose to vacation away from my spouse? It is true that my wife and I do occasionally vacation separately (she is not a camper). However, would I do this if my only opportunity to see her in person were once per week? I don’t think so.
The other question I always have to ask myself: what is the appropriate response to Christ’s crucifixion, for me? Should I choose a vacation from Him?
The Catechism is pretty clear:
“The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.”
Years ago, I also vacationed on the Outer Banks (it is a uniquely beautiful part of the country), with a vague assumption that I could find a Mass when I got there. There was none. I knew at the time I had made a serious mistake, and it still comes to mind every time I plan a vacation.
Work-related travel is different; usually we are not able to choose the destination, time, or method of travel, except within very narrow limits.