K
kaycee
Guest
Done
- SS beleives the scriptures are infallible.
- SS does not have infallible knowledge that the scriptures are infallible.
Done
SS, why do you keep confusing the OT scriptures with the Bible?Strawman. The Scriptures are the rule of faith and their purpose is to reveal the story of redemption through the work of Jesus Christ. As Jesus told the Pharisees the Scriptures are all about him. They are sufficient for salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
Jesus was not referring to ANYTHING in the New Testament. He was addressing specific OT passages and their interpretation to the Pharisees.
With the NT references you so hallow it is the same situation: there was NO collection of books (the āBibleā) known prior to the mid 4th century AD.
The Jews did NOT have their ābibleā (the Tanakh) until AFTER 90 AD.
Why do you persist in pushing your INDIVIDUAL, out of context, INTERPRETATION of scripture???
You spend so much energy saying nothing which addresses the fundamental problem: NO Biblical source for sola scriptura.
As Catholics we believe that there are things that are infallible and things that are not. We find this with the two or more witnesses scripture. Bible plus the supporting teachings of Holy Mother Church. TWO authorities. See the difference?see the difference?
- SS beleives the scriptures are infallible.
- SS does not have infallible knowledge that the scriptures are infallible.
![]()
Thank you my lady, I couldnāt have said it better myself.see the difference?
- SS beleives the scriptures are infallible.
- SS does not have infallible knowledge that the scriptures are infallible.
![]()
Actually, I have been informed that Kaycee is a man!!! A big strong man!!Thank you my lady, I couldnāt have said it better myself.

Actually, I have been informed that Kaycee is a man!!! A big strong man!!So I apologize and ask his forgiveness
Grace and Peace Brother!
Sola
Uh huhā¦a fallible personal interpretation of the written word again?Actually, I have been informed that Kaycee is a man!!! A big strong man!!So I apologize and ask his forgiveness
Grace and Peace Brother!
Sola
Actually, infallible is appropriate, because Scripture is not just information, but it is God speaking and His words are always alive and active. The book of Hebrews says:I believe the correct term is that it is inerrant, not infallible. Infallible refers to an action that is undertaken by a person, whereas inerrancy refers to the accuracy(lack of error) of a piece of information.
Iāve provided evidence for sola Scriptura from Scripture and history. You have done nothing for your rule of faith but special pleading. āStructureā is there. God intended it all along, but didnāt reveal it until later. And I will show you once again the argument and Iām still waiting on yours:You cannot provide a single shred of evidence that this transformation happened. It wasnt in operation while any of the Apostles were alive, No one spoke of it, no one prophesied it, and for hundreds of years no one claimed to be working towards completing the canon which was to be the only source of divine revelation for all time.
You are just demagoguing now.But somehow now that the Church was infallibly guided by the HS to produce a canon and declare the end of Scripture you seem to think that Scripture has basically replaced the Church in its role of propogating the faith according to the Great Commission.
Yeah, there are a lot of problems with your thinking, which is why Iām glad it is not mine. After setting up misrepresentations now you proceed to knock it down.But there are some problems with this thinking.
You have no clue what you are talking about. I donāt claim Scripture is a rule of faith for all topics. That is just silly. Furthermore, Scripture was never just āwords on a pageā, but again this says a lot more about you and your unbridled and uninformed thoughts than anything else.I will simply address the primary problem I see with your conceptually clean but functionally unactionable statement of SS above. The problem is that you moved from the āinerrant word of Godā to the āinfallible rule of faithā. Scripture simply cannot - as in, it is impossible - move from being words on a page to being the ārule of faithā for all topics for all people for all time.
This makes no sense. You have shown previously that you do know what a rule of faith is and by these words you demonstrate it once again. Consult your Catholic encyclopedia or a dictionary and try understand what you keep attacking.That requires interaction with another - a visible, audible, cognitive other. It can be the inerrant source from which another entity discerns the ārule of faithā, but it cannot be both in itself.
By what process will the inerrant word of God be interacted with to produce the infallible rule of faith? That is really the essence of the discussion that we are having. Lutherās version of SS placed that function squarely on the lap of the individual being guided by the HS.So the question becomes, "
The Catholic believes that while revelation is possible, the Pope and the Magisterium are simply the usual means that the Holy Spirit uses to guide the Church in determining the rule of faith. And we believe that if and when it happens it is done infallibly because it is the HS doing it, and, as you said, God cannot error.
Now you are just preaching, no argument here.
Philthy:![]()
You act as if you are saying something deep here. The authority of the Church is its power to interpret the rule of faith, to discipline, and to maintain the peace and purity of the church. Is infallibility needed to do this? Of course not. You parents and the government are authorities and they are not infallible. The Pharisees and Sadducees were authorities and teachers for Godās Old Covenant people. Tell me, were they infallible? If not, donāt you see how simple your question is?I still do not know how you propose this establishment of the ārule of faithā occurs acccording to your understanding of SS.
Because you donāt know what a rule of faith is. I tried to help you once, Iām not going to repeat myself again.
Philthy;1870508:
You have intimated that you do not dimiss the āauthority of the Churchā and you have also said that āteachersā are necessary, but you have gotten down to brass tacks and provided a means for preaching the āone faithā to āevery nationā.
Who gets to be SSās RCIA sponsor at the end of this thread?
Itās only a matter of time.
No, the words do not mean the same thing. If I take a test and make a 100 on it( which I often doSolaScriptura:![]()
So your answer is really yes. You changed āinfalliblyā to āinnerantlyā, but the two words mean the same thing. On what do you base this assueance of faith that the Church inerrently discerned which books belonged in the Canon?No, I have assurance through faith that Church inerrantly discerned which books belonged in the Bible and which does not? Do you have have infallible knowledge of this?
By faith we acknowledge that the Catholic Church is infallible and that she has infallibly declared the canon.No, the words do not mean the same thing. If I take a test and make a 100 on it( which I often do), I was inerrant on that test. However, I was not infallible, because I could have made a number of mistakes it just happened that I didnāt on that occasion. Infallibility rules out the possibility of making an error. I noticed you didnāt answer my question, but instead asked more of your own. As a matter of fact I have answered this question a number of times already. So why donāt you answer my question? Do you have infallible knowledge that the books in your canon is correct?
Exactly my point. One can come to a true knowledge without being infallible.By faith we acknowledge that the Catholic Church is infallible and that she has infallibly declared the canon.
āNow faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.ā (Hebrews 11:1)
āWith proper guidance*, preparation, and a good source of correct comprehensive information, the human mind is capable of coming to true knowledge without needing to be formally infallible itself.ā
*The Holy Spirit and an infallible Church can guide us, obviously.
Therefore, we can come to true knowledge that the books in the canon are correct. We cannot know this, however, infallibly.
This is not completely true.And please donāt even try the romantic idea that you can ask the magisteruim, because you canāt. If you could you would and there would be no debates.
Cool.Exactly my point. One can come to a true knowledge without being infallible.
You know, Iām tempted. Actually, I believe in Apostolic Succession, but Iām sure not as you do. However, I must drastically cut back on my time here. Iāve invested too much in the past few weeks. And the worst part is that most of my time is spent correcting the same old mistakes. It is really not a good use of my time. So, feel free to start the thread and I will join in when I get the time, but it will be nothing like the time I have put in over the past few weeks. Plus Iām really the Sola Man!!Cool.
NOW can we talk about Apostolic Succession in the other thread?
Puhleeeeeze!
You have paraphrased in an attempt to make your point. But the Church is not merely āusefulā (like Scripture describes itself in 2Tim) in upholding the truth, nor is it merely āAā pillar of the truth (among other pillars), it is THE pillar of the truth. And if it is to be THE pillar and foundation of TRUTH, then it must not be upholding FALSEHOOD as well.Empty assertion. One does not have to ascribe infallibility to something for it to contain authority or be a pillar and foundation. It is only fallacious reason to say so.
Yup - you call it strong, others call it weak. Been there.Iāve provided evidence for sola Scriptura from Scripture and history.
I think this may be an aside, but is it ābased offā of that principle or is that it? If that is not SS per se then give me what the essence of SS is that is not contained in the above statement, because we still have arrived at a funcioning version of SS without it, simply a theoretical version.Sola Scriptura is based off the principle that Godās word has always been the sole infallible and highest rule of faith.
Sorry, but this is special pleading again. And you run smack into the problem of the Word of God existing as Scripture and Christ simultaneously.it was true during the time of Jesus, and it has been true since His death.
Says whom? Isnt this the debate we are having? Who says the holy Spirit is not speaking through the Church?Sola Scriptura is true for the church today, because there is no other source of Godās word besides the Scripture.