C
CatholicNerd
Guest
Hi everyone! As you know, the Feast of the Assumption is rapidly approaching
What’s a young conservative substitute organist to do at a parish that has a fairly wretched music program? Well, I’ll tell you what I’m going to do. Last Sunday, we had a visiting priest who sang the entire Mass, intoned the proper Gregorian chants at the proper times, said the Roman Canon in Latin (the Roman Canon is NEVER prayed at my parish. It’s always the Third Eucharistic Prayer), and made sure to pronounce the words of consecration quietly IN LATIN. I overheard many parishioners speaking with the priest after Mass telling them how they feel cheated by our pastor and the other priests at my parish who can be…less than orthodox at times.
So, in light of that… I have gotten together with a friend of mine who cantors at another parish across town and we have decided to chant Mass IX, the Missa Cum Jubilo (used on feasts of Our Lady) and the Gregorian propers of the day NO MATTER WHAT THE COST MAY BE. I’ve made up enough sheets for the congregation that have both the chants and the English translations on them, so nobody should be in the dark regarding the translations. I will probably end up out of a job as soon as the parish music director and liturgy director find out about it, and I suspect the priest might not be too happy (at least not at first). But ya know what? I’ve got Church documents, including the Dogmatic Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy on my side. All they’ve got backing them up is bad taste. I would very much appreciate your prayers
Pray that all goes well during the weekend Masses, and that my music will somehow turn the hearts of those who seek to profane the Sacred Liturgy.
So, in light of that… I have gotten together with a friend of mine who cantors at another parish across town and we have decided to chant Mass IX, the Missa Cum Jubilo (used on feasts of Our Lady) and the Gregorian propers of the day NO MATTER WHAT THE COST MAY BE. I’ve made up enough sheets for the congregation that have both the chants and the English translations on them, so nobody should be in the dark regarding the translations. I will probably end up out of a job as soon as the parish music director and liturgy director find out about it, and I suspect the priest might not be too happy (at least not at first). But ya know what? I’ve got Church documents, including the Dogmatic Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy on my side. All they’ve got backing them up is bad taste. I would very much appreciate your prayers
