A sick bed conversion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cruikshank_s
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cruikshank_s

Guest
I have a dear and elderly grandmother who is gravely I’ll after her second stroke. She has lived most of her life as a non practicing Methodist, and after her first stroke two years ago I’ve been slowly and gently trying to get her to church. I had thought she had plenty of time to discern and was happy to hear that she was interested in her local Anglican church. That never came to fruition, but the thought was still active, she’d bring it up every couple months saying she intended to visit the pastor. I gave her a rosary, explained to her how to pray with it, and gave her a green scapular as well.

On Tuesday she had another stroke. Her speech is heavily affected and she just can’t cope right now. Still in the hospital, and she doesn’t look good. I love her deeply, and I can’t stand seeing her this way. I want more than anything else to see her live long enough to confess and convert. Please send up prayers for her health and conversion.

And please let me know what you would do in my shoes. She’s suffering from an incessant restlessness and anxiety, and I really want to start reading the scriptures with her. My hope is that they will give her some mental quiet time and slowly work on her spirit leading her to Christ. I’ve also ordered another green scapular for her as I suspect her old one is lost. On the one hand I want to be gentle and allow her to come on her own accord and on the other I want to get down on my knees and beg her to come to the church and let me call a priest. Has anyone lived through this? What’s the prudent thing to do?
 
I would be reading my bible aloud, praying my rosary, for her aloud and explaining why this was important to me.
Oftentimes, people who are unable to be very responsive due to medical conditions, can hear and relate to what they are hearing. Letting your mom know that you love her and are praying for he may be very reassuring at this time. At a time that you think best, you might ask her if she would like your priest to come pray for her or bless her as well.
It sounds as if she has been baptized and as Catholics, we acknowledge one baptism…
Having witnessed a deathbed conversion recently, brought on by much prayer, I would also be calling prayer lines, organizing prayer chains and enlisting all my CAF buddies to pray for grandma.
May God bless her and may she recognize Our Lord and His blessing. Amen.
 
I agree with jeanne. I would pray the rosary and read scripture in the room with her. If you can I would bring prayer cards and maybe a crucifix into her room. Most definatly I would be talking with my priest as soon as possible. Even if she cannot talk. She might be able to give some sign of agreement. Even if she becomes non responsive you can speak to her. She can still be in agreement even if her body does not show it.

If you like I would google The Catholic Way of Dying. It is on the fisheaters website. I found this some years back. I only wish I would have found it before my Dad passed from this world.

You and your grandmother are in my prayers I have great hope in the mercy of our Lord. There is great hope for your grandmother. Lord bless her.
 
You have got the Green Scapular covered, great work btw. Now Chaplet of Divine Mercy!!!

Pray it incessantly at her bedside out aloud, and have her follow along with it in her head, have her recite it at least once and she will be assured of her salvation.

Also have masses said for her now, for her salvation. And also you need to stop worrying and start trusting in Jesus, that through the Chaplet he will shower his Divine Mercy upon her.

Trust is the vessel by which all graces are drawn, so start remembering of the infinite goodness of God, and be rest assured he will come to her aid.

I’ll keep her in my prayers.
 
Ask the hospital if there is a Catholic Chaplain available, then explain the situation and ask if he would stop by and visit with your grandmother. If there is no Catholic Chaplain you can ask your own pastor to come or call around the local churches and see if someone is available. Keep praying!
 
Psalms 20, 23, 34 & 121 are comforting in these situations. Remember she will most likely be able to hear you even if unresponsive. I will lift her and you, up in prayer.

Father of Mercies and God of all comfort, our only help in time of need: We turn to you on behalf of your servant who lies in great weakness of body; Look graciously upon her, O Lord; and as the outward fails, so strengthen her continually with the help of your grace and the Holy Spirit in her inward life; Give her true repentance and constant faith in your Son Jesus, so that with her sins forgiven by your mercy, and her pardon sealed in heaven, she may abide with you always; Through the work and intercession of Jesus Christ, your only Son, our Lord and Savior. Amen.
 
Having witnessed many people die, all in their different ways I am pleased that I have never encountered anyone reciting scripture outloud in the sick room. I think that unless you KNOW for CERTAIN that it is going to comfort the dieing person you should be considerate and respectful of this most personal of acts
 
Having witnessed many people die, all in their different ways I am pleased that I have never encountered anyone reciting scripture outloud in the sick room. I think that unless you KNOW for CERTAIN that it is going to comfort the dieing person you should be considerate and respectful of this most personal of acts
I agree.

OP, your grandmother expressed interest in the Anglican Church and she was born a Methodist so I am not sure hearing the rosary recited loudly is going to give her comfort but may just startle and stress her. I think reciting familiar psalms, talking to her expressing your love, saying you will all meet again and things like that would be great. You can always say your own prayers silently course. It is obvious you love a lot.

Prayers for your grandmother, you and the rest of your family. May God give you comfort and strength and bless you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top