Y
Yeoman
Guest
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so I’ll try here. Apologies in advance if I’m in the wrong category.
Here’s my specific voting question, which pertains to this year’s U.S. Presidential Election.
I live in a state that is going to vote for Romney very heavily. I don’t think a Republican has lost in our state, in the Presidential Election, since Lyndon Johnson was elected. My home state is very heavily Republican. The Democratic Party is, for all practical purposes, dead here.
I would not vote for President Obama as I find his stance on homosexual “marriages” and on abortion are such that I cannot do so in good conscience. I accept that is the case. I’d be much less bothered by his stances on many other things, but I cannot possibly get around those.
However, I do not want to vote for Romney. This state has a very high percentage of Mormons and as I a result I am very familiar with that religion. It’s polytheistic, contains obvious errors in its basic faith text, highly aggressive, and with its young members, it behaves in a pattern which is very cult like (those who would feel that too harsh should look into how Mormon Missionaries are governed in conduct). Frankly, while there should not be a religious litmus test in public life, a voter is entitled to take into condition a person’s basic beliefs, and Mormonism scares me.
In this election, it seems to be the case that many Catholic voters are faced with a choice between a person who claims to be a self confessed Christian whose principals are not in enlightenment with our, with a VP who is a Catholic but is publicly at odds with our values, and a non Christian whose faith would be downright scary to most knowledgeable Christians with a VP candidate who is also a Catholic. Most sincere Catholics, therefore, feel they have to vote for Romney.
In my state, the state is going for Romney no matter what.
Therefore, am I free to abstain from voting in the Presidential election or, if there’s a suitable 3d party, to vote for that party in protest? I really am not morally comfortable with voting for a Mormon President, as bigoted as that no doubt seems and maybe is, if I can avoid it.
Here’s my specific voting question, which pertains to this year’s U.S. Presidential Election.
I live in a state that is going to vote for Romney very heavily. I don’t think a Republican has lost in our state, in the Presidential Election, since Lyndon Johnson was elected. My home state is very heavily Republican. The Democratic Party is, for all practical purposes, dead here.
I would not vote for President Obama as I find his stance on homosexual “marriages” and on abortion are such that I cannot do so in good conscience. I accept that is the case. I’d be much less bothered by his stances on many other things, but I cannot possibly get around those.
However, I do not want to vote for Romney. This state has a very high percentage of Mormons and as I a result I am very familiar with that religion. It’s polytheistic, contains obvious errors in its basic faith text, highly aggressive, and with its young members, it behaves in a pattern which is very cult like (those who would feel that too harsh should look into how Mormon Missionaries are governed in conduct). Frankly, while there should not be a religious litmus test in public life, a voter is entitled to take into condition a person’s basic beliefs, and Mormonism scares me.
In this election, it seems to be the case that many Catholic voters are faced with a choice between a person who claims to be a self confessed Christian whose principals are not in enlightenment with our, with a VP who is a Catholic but is publicly at odds with our values, and a non Christian whose faith would be downright scary to most knowledgeable Christians with a VP candidate who is also a Catholic. Most sincere Catholics, therefore, feel they have to vote for Romney.
In my state, the state is going for Romney no matter what.
Therefore, am I free to abstain from voting in the Presidential election or, if there’s a suitable 3d party, to vote for that party in protest? I really am not morally comfortable with voting for a Mormon President, as bigoted as that no doubt seems and maybe is, if I can avoid it.