A troubling sign?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maxirad

Guest
I was down in San Diego last October for a cousin’s wedding. During the trip, my parents and I went to Mass in a parish located in a particularly upscale section of the city. I don’t remember seeing any infants or toddlers at the Mass in question. In my hometown parish in the San Francisco Bay Area, I usually see young children at Mass. Is anyone particularly troubled by the situation in the San Diego parish? My hometown might be affluent, but it certainly isn’t ritzy.
 
The average age for first marriage in the US is 29 for men and 27 for women. Assuming that Catholics are similar to the rest of the population, I would expect to see children or toddlers in the company of couples who are in their mid to late twenties or early thirties.

In the parish you observed, how many couples fell into that age group?
 
Could be the time you went. You won’t see any children in my parish at the earlier Masses because the families with kids prefer to go later.
 
As has been suggested, a lot will depend on the demographics of the population where the parish is located and the time of the Mass. It may also depend on how many other parishes are located nearby.

If there aren’t many people in their 20s and 30s who live in the area there probably won’t be many babies and young children. Some parishes are located in an area with mostly older people whose children have left home. It could be the location simply doesn’t appeal to young families.

As others have said you may not have gone to the Mass that caters to young families.

And there might be another parish in the area that has facilities that are more convenient for families with young children.
 
I don’t see many young families at any of the Sunday Masses I attend 😦
 
I don’t see many young families at any of the Sunday Masses I attend 😦
That’s actually pretty common. Of the people I talk to about this they say most of the attendence in their churches (Catholic and otherwise) is made up of people in their 40s and older (mostly older). Our own church is made up of lots of younger families with many babies and children. The problem is the “old folks” get angry at the young families for having children that “disrupt” the service. Apparently they don’t know where the future lies.
 
That’s actually pretty common. Of the people I talk to about this they say most of the attendence in their churches (Catholic and otherwise) is made up of people in their 40s and older (mostly older). Our own church is made up of lots of younger families with many babies and children. **The problem is the “old folks” get angry at the young families for having children that “disrupt” the service. ** Apparently they don’t know where the future lies.
I’ve heard that the same has happened to young families at our parish. I couldn’t believe it! 🤷

At least the priests go out of their way to make the young parents and children welcome 🙂
 
I think it depends on the parish and time of day.

Our parish has an 8:00 am and a 10:30 am on Sundays.
The 10:30 is loaded with lots of young families. The 8:00 draws the older crowd.

Our parish is a bit more traditional and draws a far more orthodox crowd. I’d say the average number of kids per family is at least 3…with several in the 6 plus range.
 
I was down in San Diego last October for a cousin’s wedding. During the trip, my parents and I went to Mass in a parish located in a particularly upscale section of the city. I don’t remember seeing any infants or toddlers at the Mass in question. In my hometown parish in the San Francisco Bay Area, I usually see young children at Mass. Is anyone particularly troubled by the situation in the San Diego parish? My hometown might be affluent, but it certainly isn’t ritzy.
I live in the San Diego diocese and there are PLENTY of families and young children at Mass in my parish, and we don’t have a school. The parish you went to may have had a nursery or babysitting available during the Mass you attended.
 
The problem is the “old folks” get angry at the young families for having children that “disrupt” the service.
For me, it’s quite the opposite - sometimes it’s the ADULTS who are disruptive! A crying kid (as long as the parent doesn’t let him run around pulling up kneeler cushions) is to be treated with patience, but when people are chatting during the homily or don’t turn off their cell phone ringers that is a different story.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top