S
SANxJONERO
Guest
Now I plan to get married a Catholic church, but I was wondering how this came about. I’ve been taught that you have to be married in the church for it to be a true marriage under God’s eyes.
For a Catholic to be validly married, it must be done in a Catholic church (unless the bishop gives a dispensation). Non-Catholics are not held to the same requirement.
If you’re Catholic, that’s true – unless you got permission from your bishop to get married elsewhere.I was taught you had to be married in a Catholic church to be truely married in God’s eyes, but guess I was taught wrong.
You are a Catholic (according to your profile). You were not taught “wrong.” Catholics are bound by Canon Law to marry in the Catholic form. And, if they do not it is invalid.I was taught you had to be married in a Catholic church to be truely married in God’s eyes, but guess I was taught wrong.
You’re saying it’s true in God’s eyes that you have to be married in a Catholic church, but you are still married in God’s eyes if you’re not?If you’re Catholic, that’s true – unless you got permission from your bishop to get married elsewhere.
That said, 2 Anglicans married in the Anglican Church or two Hindus married at the temple or two of any religion/no religion married by the judge are just as married in God’s eyes as two Catholics in the Catholic Church as long as there were no impediments to their marriage.
Was it your understanding then that only Catholics could ever be married ‘in the eyes of God’?You’re saying it’s true in God’s eyes that you have to be married in a Catholic church, but you are still married in God’s eyes if you’re not?
Or maybe you understood things wrong?I was taught you had to be married in a Catholic church to be truely married in God’s eyes, but guess I was taught wrong.
If someone told me you have to be married in the church for it to be valid in the guys of God, how could I have misunderstood something? You still have a good point tho…Or maybe you understood things wrong?
It’s not uncommon that what people hear and remember is NOT what was actually said.
I don’t want to belabor the points already made…If someone told me you have to be married in the church for it to be valid in the guys of God, how could I have misunderstood something? You still have a good point tho…
Thanks & yes I guess who ever told me that rule probably meant Catholics, since it was around Catholic circles when I would hear it.I don’t want to belabor the points already made…
But I believe that you were not mistaken about needing to be married in a Catholic Church. What you may have misunderstood was was the significance of the word “you”.
If you were alone, were in a group of Catholics, or were with a group of non-Catholics wishing to marry Catholics then “you” was valid for all those in the room.
But it would be pointless for “you” to refer to anyone who is not Catholic and/or not marrying a Catholic since such people are not able to be married “in the Catholic Church”, (which is a way of saying “according to the rules of the Catholic Church”.) That would mean that such people are incapable of validly marrying unless they become Catholic. For many years I believe that was the common opinion of Catholics. Being married according to the rules of the Catholic Church is not part of the inherent *nature *of marriage but Christ gave the Church the authority to make rules binding on members of the Church.
The thing to understand about marriage is that it predates the Catholic Church. Now sacramental marriage was not possible prior to the coming of Christ. (I believe that sacramental marriage is often traced back to the wedding feast of Cana.) But Old Testament marriages were just as valid as those of Catholics today. And valid, but non-Sacramental, marriages occur today between two persons when at least one of them is not baptized. And sacramental marriages can occur between two baptized non-Catholics. (A marriage has to be valid if it is to be sacramental.)