A wholly reasonable approach to birth control

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is absolutely so, so long as the act itself is not “intrinsically evil”.
It is difficult to understand why it is not intrinsically evil, but perhaps essentially evil, to burn a person alive at the stake. It seems like it would be a form of horrible, excruciating torture and therefore an attack on the dignity of the person. I don’t see why torture is not intrinsically evil.

It is difficult to understand why it is not intrinsically evil…
One could certainly debate the morality of the choice of how to kill: burning, hanging, electrocution all seem savage. Inflicting extensive pain is not inherent to CP, so it would certainly seem harsh. I have no idea how or why these methods were chosen.

Last edited:
One could certainly debate the morality of the choice of how to kill:
But torture was allowed by the Church at one time but now torture is taught to be intrinsically evil, No? Would this not be an example of a change in the moral acceptability of what is intrinsically evil, or taught to be intrinsically evil during a certain time period?
Torture: today taught to be intrinsically evil.
Torture: Hundreds of years ago, torture was taught to be morally acceptable and burning alive at the stake was used in the papal states with the approval of the Pope.
Now we have the question of artificial birth control.
Artificial Birth control: today it is taught to be intrinsically evil.
Can the teaching on the moral unacceptability of ABC ever change? People here say no because ABC is intrinsically evil, so the teaching cannot change. But OTOH, we see that there has been a change in the moral acceptability of torture, even though it is now taught that it is intrinsically evil.
To sum up:
If the Church can change its teaching on torture, does this set a precedent for the possibility of a change in the teaching on artificial birth control ?
Or, is there some sort of flaw in this argument?

But torture was allowed by the Church at one time but now torture is taught to be intrinsically evil, No?
I’m not aware of what has been taught in respect of torture.
Would this not be an example of a change in the moral acceptability of what is intrinsically evil, or taught to be intrinsically evil during a certain time period?
No. Intrinsically evil acts are always wrong. No purpose or circumstance changes that.
People here say no because ABC is intrinsically evil, so the teaching cannot change.
If something is intrinsically evil then it is always wrong to choose.
If the Church can change its teaching on torture,
I am not aware of what the church has taught over time on the subject of torture.

Torture: today taught to be intrinsically evil.
Torture: Hundreds of years ago, torture was taught to be morally acceptable and burning alive at the stake was used in the papal states with the approval of the Pope.
I think the principle that was taught (and still is) is that sin deserves punishment and that the State has the right to carry it out. There was no teaching on the morality of how it was carried out at that time other than if it was unjust because the person was innocent. There was development of understanding over time as to just methods as humanity gained more understanding about the dignity of the human person and about more humane methods of CP and punishment in general. That doesn’t constitute a change in teaching. It’s a development in understanding.

With birth control, science taught us about a woman’s fertile/infertile cycle. When that info became available, our change in understanding allowed for a method of planning your family that was moral. It was always wrong to artificially block conception but with NFP choosing to abstain is morally acceptable. It’s not wrong to not do something in this case since we aren’t obligated to be intimate during fertile periods. One can have wrong intentions in abstaining but that is not on the same level as actually committing an intrinsically evil act.

Last edited:
Been watching the descent into the rabbit hole, as I’d predicted - why don’t I throw something out there, so the conversation is a bit more grounded:

Leviticus 20:14… Shall we agree that God is not commanding something intrinsically evil?

Out again…

-K

But torture was allowed by the Church at one time …
I think you will find in the development of moral doctrines over time that the teachings have increased the binding but not the loosening authority given to her by the Lord. That the Church did not proscribe torture does not mean that she endorsed it.

We certainly expect the Church to lead, and to be a leading voice, toward a more perfect world from where we stand now but we ought not impose a twenty-first worldview on the fifteenth century church and find fault that her prophetic power then could not reach the truths she proclaims today.

40.png
A wholly reasonable approach to birth control Moral Theology
A) the Church didn’t burn people at the stake. The state administered capital punishment. B) Capital punishment itself is not intrinsically evil. Application and need of capital punishment to protect society has varied over the ages. C) Use, non use, and methods of capital punishment used by the state are not matters of divine revelation. The Church can certainly weigh in on the matter in different times and places as to the necessity of such measures and humane methods of capital punishme…
You ever consider writing a book on Catholicism for the layperson? You do a great job of getting to the heart of the matter for those who can’t understand/be bothered to look deeper. Sort of a Catechism for Dummies! You write out the answers much more succinctly than I ever could.

I’m not aware of what has been taught in respect of torture.
Pope Innocent IV’s papal bull Ad extirpanda of 1252, is often quoted as authorizing the use of torture by the Inquisition for eliciting confessions from heretics. It did give certain limits and how far you could go with the torture. At least that is what i read in the New Catholic Encyclopedia (green books).
Also see: Ad extirpanda - Wikipedia

The present teaching is that torture is intrinsically evil.
No. Intrinsically evil acts are always wrong. No purpose or circumstance changes that.
Torture is intrinsically wrong. And yet it was allowed during the inquisition and is not burning someone alive in boiling oil a form of torture, which was allowed in the papal states on one occasion? Burning someone alive at the stake is also a form of torture which was allowed in several cases.

Last edited:
Not true for the copper iud which does not utilize hormones. The copper iud actually makes periods heavier and more painful. You may be thinking of the other hormonal iuds although that is not their primary function

Pope Innocent IV’s papal bull Ad extirpanda of 1252, is often quoted as authorizing the use of torture by the Inquisition for eliciting confessions from heretics.
Dare I say, this is rather un-Christian. I can’t image Christ ever condoning the Church using such means. It is actually disgusting. I don’t really care if it was the Middle Ages, the idea that torture is okay by any ecclesial body is anathema.

40.png
goout:
What is the point you are making?
According to what I read it appears that there are many Catholics who think that the teaching on artificial birth control needs to be changed as it has been changed in other religions.
Ok, and?
What is your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back