AA/NA and SMARTRECOVERY

  • Thread starter Thread starter acacia12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

acacia12

Guest
Hi, I don’t know if this is in the right section. If not I do apologize.
Does anyone know if SMARTRECOVERY is compatible with AA/NA. I use God as my higher power. I’ve heard from some at SMART, that it’s scientific based and that you are not powerless over alcohol and God has nothing to do with it. Is it possible in some way to attend 12-step groups and do SMART?🤷
 
As an AA member I would have to say, does it matter? In AA it is not “god” persay as we think of in religous terms but “God as we understand him/her.” That can be whatever we so choose as an individual. Groups such as Smart are an aethiest reaction to traditional AA/NA as they dislike the whole idea of any sort of “higher” power and a percieved influence (unwaranted I would suggest) of judeo-christian theology.

What works for you though is what matters and nothing else in ones lifelong journey of sobriety.
 
As an AA member I would have to say, does it matter? In AA it is not “god” persay as we think of in religous terms but “God as we understand him/her.” That can be whatever we so choose as an individual. Groups such as Smart are an aethiest reaction to traditional AA/NA as they dislike the whole idea of any sort of “higher” power and a percieved influence (unwaranted I would suggest) of judeo-christian theology.

What works for you though is what matters and nothing else in ones lifelong journey of sobriety.
Yeah, it seems to be more atheist, but I personally don’t see a problem with being able to use the tools in SMART. But that maybe explains why some get so angry with AA and anyone who does AA/NA. Why they can’t just use the tools, be civil and tolerant of others, instead of bashing God and 12 step programmes.🤷
 
I’m not all that familiar with SMART Recovery, but I do know that they don’t believe in being powerless. Yeesh. If I had a dime for every time I woke up and said “I’m not drinking today!!,” I’d be a rich woman. 😉

Do you feel something is lacking in your AA/NA program?
 
I’m not all that familiar with SMART Recovery, but I do know that they don’t believe in being powerless. Yeesh. If I had a dime for every time I woke up and said “I’m not drinking today!!,” I’d be a rich woman. 😉

Do you feel something is lacking in your AA/NA program?
Hi! No, I don’t think that there is anything lacking in AA/NA programme. But I want to have as many tools as possible. I have also been offered some voluntary work with an organisation working with drugs/alcohol. Although the organisation is christian based, I know that not everyone will want 12 step recovery, some will, some will benefit from both. I want to learn and use both for my recovery and be able to help as many people as I can 🙂
 
As you stated in the initial post, 12step programs are God centered and SR appears to be individual centered. They are opposite ends of the spectrum.

That being said, you stated your desire to have tools available to assist others. There is a difference between studying something for education verses edification. ie: If I want to discuss theology with Muslims I may choose to read the Quran for educational purposes. I might even attend a Mosque once if I could get invited in to see how they practice.

There is a big difference between that and studying the Quran for spiritual knowledge and growth or praying to Allah when regularly attending services at a Mosque.

As Christians God wants to draw us nearer to Him. Since recovery is a spiritual practice, it would be prudent to stay with the program which draws you nearer to God for individual practice. Though for education purposes might be helpful to learn in an academic way about other avenues of recovery.

Peace
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top