M
mitex
Guest
How would a Catholic physician respond to a woman with an abdominal pregnancy? Or an ectopic pregnancy in general?
There wouldn’t be a case where removing the tube isn’t an option. That’s the whole point. The embryo/foetus has plonked itself down in the tube, which is not meant to gestate a pregnancy, the removal of the tube solves the problem as the tube would rupture causing bleeding and possible death for the mother. The death of the child is a sad, unintended consquence of removing the tube. If you know of a case where a treatment for a tubal pregnancy could not involve removing the tube I’d like to hear it.But what about in cases of abdominal pregnancy where removal of the Fallopian tube isn’t an option?
From what I have heard, the CC allows for the surgical removal of the child in these situations. But intent is key.How would a Catholic physician respond to a woman with an abdominal pregnancy? Or an ectopic pregnancy in general?
Surely not.But surely taking medication to dissolve the foetus would be preferable
It is a form of ectopic pregnancy in which the fertilized egg does not descend into the uterus, but instead goes outside the reproductive tract and attaches to the abdominal wall, outside uterine wall, or other organs.What exactly is an abdominal pregnancy? I have never heard of it.
With all due respect and compassion for your experiences…you can’t just say “this happened to me, so therefore it’s off-limits for anyone else to discuss”. If the thread is causing you distress, then I would suggest that you not continue to view it. The question is a totally legitimate topic for Catholics to talk about.…and sometimes the ‘logical’ analysis of issues which you have no insight into in a human sense, is not necessarily right…
Please show some respect for those people who do - sadly - have insight into this extremely difficult situation and stop posting about this specific topic. You - regretfully - give the impression of judging rather than caring for your fellow human being.
Please do not misquote me. I did not say: “This happened to me, so therefore it’s off-limits for anyone else to discuss.” Indeed, my style is not that abrupt. What I was doing was highlighting the serious lack of understanding and insight which some individuals on this thread illustrate with regard to this issue. If compassion and lack of judging others cannot be embraced in each post, then that reduces your fellow humans to mere subjects for discussion. I do not believe that is Catholic in any sense of the word.With all due respect and compassion for your experiences…you can’t just say “this happened to me, so therefore it’s off-limits for anyone else to discuss”. If the thread is causing you distress, then I would suggest that you not continue to view it. The question is a totally legitimate topic for Catholics to talk about.
Wth regret, your post illustrates the lack of genuine sincerity and care which is evident from some people who are posting on this issue. I pray for you and your growth and understanding, sincerely,FWIW, I do not see any judgment in any of the comments here. I actually think the discussion about what to do should involve those who are not experiencing/have not experienced an ectopic pregnancy, precisely because the emotions involved in such a situation are so intense. Those who are not emotionally invested in a particular scenario may be able to see things that those who are emotionally invested cannot. Bearing in mind, here we are not commenting on any particular woman having such a pregnancy.
It is the manner in which this situation is being discussed which is problematic. The whole picture is not being taken into account and comments lack not only knowledge about this situation but also genuine concern. And yes, this should be evident, even when discussing this in the abstract. Otherwise, as Catholics, our humanity is taken out of the equation. In total, even the tone of your post lacks sincerity and I leave it to the moderator to determine the best course of action regarding this thread.@true compassion: How?
To me, the issue of how one treats a woman who is actually experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, and the compassion/empathy one would need to exhibit in such an actual real-life situation, is markedly different from discussing in the abstract on a public discussion board the courses of action that may or may not be moral and licit in the abstract event of such a pregnancy. What error do you see in my analysis?
I agree with mgoforth that it is a legitmate subject for discussion.
In any event, thank you for your prayers.
The mere fact that you have to ask how to show genuine concern whilst debating this intrinsically emotive issue, speaks volumes. My advice would be to go out into the world and experience life more and meet face-to-face with people who have went through the trauma of ectopic pregnancy before debating the issue in an extremely objective, rational and at times, flipppant manner.@true: Well, I imagine we are at the agreeing to disagree stage.
Could you perhaps provide an example for how such a discussion could be framed “with genuine concern”, or for the appropriate manner for it to be discussed? I am trying to understand your viewpoint.