T
tabsie3210
Guest
Please note that if this post is in the wrong spot, I apologize, but I feel so angry right now I need to rant and I hope I’m focusing on the right area.
Final note - I understand that non-Catholics have different opinions from me. I am focusing this rant in the direction of my fellow Catholics. I would very much appreciate it if non-Catholics did not reply about “what’s the big deal,” etc. Your opinion is your own and I respect that you have it. I’m not really talking to people who don’t share my opinion. Thank you.
Now, for the rant:
I LOVE “The Sims.” I have always loved doll houses and I love playing with my characters in any number of ways. I love telling stories, and I love the artwork. I’m a VERY big “Sims 2” fan, and got “The Sims 3” when it came out. I was a little disappointed with it, because it promised a lot more than it actually offered, but now “The Sims 3” is starting to catch up to where I am getting more interested in it.
So I visited this website called modthesims2.com, which offers additional, user-made game content for both “Sims 2” and “The Sims 3.” Note that this is USER MADE. The creators of the games have nothing to do with these modifications.
I went looking for new content, such as new clothing or maybe some “clutter” (decorative objects that simulate the kind of clutter you find in houses, such as piles of books or mail or what have you), for “The Sims 3.” It’s 11:12 pm here right now, so this was maybe ten minutes ago.
And lo and behold, what happens to be on the very first page of new user-made content? An abortion clinic!
Your pregnant Sims now have the “option,” if they get pregnant, to go to the abortion clinic and pay $2,000 to have an abortion, where they baby disappears completely from the game play.
Mind you, about a year or two ago, someone else created some content for “Sims 2” that included a Crucifix with a realistic image of Christ, including custom animations where your Sim appears to be praying. I use such content to make my Catholic churches, though I’m disappointed I can’t find anything beautiful enough to fill the role of the Tabernacle, and since I grew up with the Tabernacle on the dias just below my Crucifix at my own church, I want my Sims to have the same thing. But I digress.
The point of that digression is to show that the Sims games are all very open-ended. You can alter the game play to suit your own playing style. It’s just like a doll house. If you don’t like certain content that EA Games added in (aliens, vampires, werewolves and witches, for example), the game is set up where you can simply choose not to play with those aspects, and you never have to deal with them, except maybe in the background (so far these “magical” creatures are only available in “Sims 2”). If I want my Sims to be clean-cut people who’d never cheat on their spouses, I can make them all family-oriented, or knowlege-oriented, or business. I can avoid anything that would make them act in a way I find appropriate. Heck, someone on modthesims2.com even put out a “modesty pack” that changed a bunch of the clothes for women to make them more modest and clean-cut, and I downloaded the whole batch, so that even my non-playable Sims are dressed more modestly. Granted, the game is not as modest as I’d like in all aspects (the first time someone WhooHoo’s, or has sex, there’s a cut-screen thing that’s silly and a little over-done, and I had I children, I wouldn’t let them play the game, but the game is rated Teen and older and isn’t meant for little kids anyway), but the majority of objectionable material can be either ignored or simply not played with.
Now, naturally I’ll never download the abortion clinic, because I have the freedom not to download it. That’s the nice thing about such a game.
But the annoying thing is that People think to do something that degraded! For crying out loud, “The Sims 3” (the game this abortion clinic was made for) doesn’t even allow for Sims to get pregnant unless directed to do so by the player! You have to actively choose to “try for a baby” for the Sim to get pregnant, and even then, it’s not a guarantee! It’s not like you walk away from the computer for a moment, come back with your soda, oops, your Sim just got pregnant hanging out with the wrong guy, better ship her off to the clinic!
Rant continues below.
Final note - I understand that non-Catholics have different opinions from me. I am focusing this rant in the direction of my fellow Catholics. I would very much appreciate it if non-Catholics did not reply about “what’s the big deal,” etc. Your opinion is your own and I respect that you have it. I’m not really talking to people who don’t share my opinion. Thank you.
Now, for the rant:
I LOVE “The Sims.” I have always loved doll houses and I love playing with my characters in any number of ways. I love telling stories, and I love the artwork. I’m a VERY big “Sims 2” fan, and got “The Sims 3” when it came out. I was a little disappointed with it, because it promised a lot more than it actually offered, but now “The Sims 3” is starting to catch up to where I am getting more interested in it.
So I visited this website called modthesims2.com, which offers additional, user-made game content for both “Sims 2” and “The Sims 3.” Note that this is USER MADE. The creators of the games have nothing to do with these modifications.
I went looking for new content, such as new clothing or maybe some “clutter” (decorative objects that simulate the kind of clutter you find in houses, such as piles of books or mail or what have you), for “The Sims 3.” It’s 11:12 pm here right now, so this was maybe ten minutes ago.
And lo and behold, what happens to be on the very first page of new user-made content? An abortion clinic!
Your pregnant Sims now have the “option,” if they get pregnant, to go to the abortion clinic and pay $2,000 to have an abortion, where they baby disappears completely from the game play.
Mind you, about a year or two ago, someone else created some content for “Sims 2” that included a Crucifix with a realistic image of Christ, including custom animations where your Sim appears to be praying. I use such content to make my Catholic churches, though I’m disappointed I can’t find anything beautiful enough to fill the role of the Tabernacle, and since I grew up with the Tabernacle on the dias just below my Crucifix at my own church, I want my Sims to have the same thing. But I digress.
The point of that digression is to show that the Sims games are all very open-ended. You can alter the game play to suit your own playing style. It’s just like a doll house. If you don’t like certain content that EA Games added in (aliens, vampires, werewolves and witches, for example), the game is set up where you can simply choose not to play with those aspects, and you never have to deal with them, except maybe in the background (so far these “magical” creatures are only available in “Sims 2”). If I want my Sims to be clean-cut people who’d never cheat on their spouses, I can make them all family-oriented, or knowlege-oriented, or business. I can avoid anything that would make them act in a way I find appropriate. Heck, someone on modthesims2.com even put out a “modesty pack” that changed a bunch of the clothes for women to make them more modest and clean-cut, and I downloaded the whole batch, so that even my non-playable Sims are dressed more modestly. Granted, the game is not as modest as I’d like in all aspects (the first time someone WhooHoo’s, or has sex, there’s a cut-screen thing that’s silly and a little over-done, and I had I children, I wouldn’t let them play the game, but the game is rated Teen and older and isn’t meant for little kids anyway), but the majority of objectionable material can be either ignored or simply not played with.
Now, naturally I’ll never download the abortion clinic, because I have the freedom not to download it. That’s the nice thing about such a game.
But the annoying thing is that People think to do something that degraded! For crying out loud, “The Sims 3” (the game this abortion clinic was made for) doesn’t even allow for Sims to get pregnant unless directed to do so by the player! You have to actively choose to “try for a baby” for the Sim to get pregnant, and even then, it’s not a guarantee! It’s not like you walk away from the computer for a moment, come back with your soda, oops, your Sim just got pregnant hanging out with the wrong guy, better ship her off to the clinic!
Rant continues below.